For folks travelling to the US - ESTA

Dear All

I'm not sure if this is the best place to provide this information for non-US residents travelling to the US to embark on a cruise in 2009, but if not, any suggestions of where to post it would be appreciated.

Anyone travelling to the US in 2009 from the following 27 visa-waiver program (VWP) countries (Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and United Kingdom) will need to register in the Electronic System for Travel Authorization program (ESTA) at least 72 hours before travelling.

You will be able to register from August 2008 at this site https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ . Although the site is still under construction at this point in time.

The fact sheet http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/esta_factsheet.xml gives all the details.

Here’s an extract:

ESTA applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel to the United States, and VWP travelers are encouraged to apply for authorization as soon as they begin to plan a trip to the United States. If applicants’ destination addresses or itineraries should change after their authorization has been approved, they may easily update that information through the ESTA website.

Once an ESTA application has been successfully completed and submitted online, the application will be queried against appropriate law enforcement databases. ESTA application data will remain active for the period of time that the ESTA authorization is valid. DHS will maintain this information for an additional year, and then will archive the information for twelve years to allow retrieval of the information for law enforcement and investigatory purposes.

In most cases, ESTA will provide an almost immediate determination of eligibility for travel under the VWP. Possible responses include: Authorization Approved, Travel Not Authorized, or Authorization Pending.

An approved ESTA travel authorization is:

• valid for up to two years or until the traveler’s passport expires, whichever comes first;
  • valid for multiple entries into the U.S.; and
  • not a guarantee of admissibility to the United States at a port of entry. ESTA approval only authorizes a traveler to board a carrier for travel to the U.S. under the VWP. In all cases, CBP officers make admissibility determinations at our ports of entry. (For additional information, please visit “Know Before You Go”)

Once ESTA is mandatory, all travelers from VWP countries will be required to obtain an ESTA approval prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the United States under the VWP.

It maybe worth passing on this information to anyone you know is intending to travel to the US in 2009.

Hi wrp96

It doesn't bother me, I've nothing to hide and once it is mandatory and as long as the carrier (airline or cruise line) can cope with this then I won't have to fill in the I-94W form and panic about making a mistake. As long as I get an 'Approval' I won't have to personally attend the US embassy in London which is a long way from Manchester and pay approximately $130 to get a visa.

There's been a lot of talk of the increased security screening when arriving in the US (photo and fingerprinting) deterring UK people from visiting the US. I actually find the process to be smoother than before and so doesn't deter me.

The only delay I've encountered is when disembarking from Freedom in 2006 where non-US passengers have to go to specific officials and one of the photo and fingerprinting machines was broken, so there was only 1 counter for us all! Perhaps they should let us non-US stay onboard longer so we don't hold up the lines for you guys!

Yes, yet another way we here in the US are making our friends feel welcome.:rolleyes:

So true - it doesn't include us Canadians yet but I can see that happening too. No more day-trippers for sure. Why does your government want to make us all feel so unwelcome?

To be fair, I don't think it's a matter of the US wanting to make us feel unwelcome, it's just that in this day and age we all have to be more security conscious and due to the sheer volume of people travelling these days, performing manual checks becomes more and more impractical.

I don't see anything sinister in it. Trouble is, the friends that we will be meeting up with in Orlando after our Freedom cruise have just returned from Niagra Falls and decided not to enter the US due to the number of forms to be completed and advised the customs official to that effect. Unfortunately she then proceeded to mark their forms as 'refused entry' and so they're now worried that when they apply for ESTA they will be refused.

To be fair, I don't think it's a matter of the US wanting to make us feel unwelcome, it's just that in this day and age we all have to be more security conscious and due to the sheer volume of people travelling these days, performing manual checks becomes more and more impractical.

I don't see anything sinister in it. Trouble is, the friends that we will be meeting up with in Orlando after our Freedom cruise have just returned from Niagra Falls and decided not to enter the US due to the number of forms to be completed and advised the customs official to that effect. Unfortunately she then proceeded to mark their forms as 'refused entry' and so they're now worried that when they apply for ESTA they will be refused.

Well that wasn't fair and yes, it could cause them problems now. They will be trying to find out why they were "refused entry" here in Niagara.

It really isn't that I see anything sinister in it however there is an attitude along with it that I don't like.

OT - where in Manchester are you? I'm originally from there and have masses of family there.

Hi wrp96

It doesn't bother me, I've nothing to hide and once it is mandatory and as long as the carrier (airline or cruise line) can cope with this then I won't have to fill in the I-94W form and panic about making a mistake. As long as I get an 'Approval' I won't have to personally attend the US embassy in London which is a long way from Manchester and pay approximately $130 to get a visa.

It's been a while since I was in the US (before 9/11) and I was not aware I had to attend the Embassy in London to acquire a visa. My TA has not mentioned this either. Can you clarify the above for me please. We will be leaving on 8 Sept and I see the website will not be available for registration until August - time enough?

Thanks

Well that wasn't fair and yes, it could cause them problems now. They will be trying to find out why they were "refused entry" here in Niagara.

It really isn't that I see anything sinister in it however there is an attitude along with it that I don't like.

OT - where in Manchester are you? I'm originally from there and have masses of family there.

I'm near Reddish, was brought up in Denton and have moved around Manchester over the years (Chorlton, Didsbury, Bramhall, city centre for 11 years and now in the suburbs!). Whereabouts are you from?

It's been a while since I was in the US (before 9/11) and I was not aware I had to attend the Embassy in London to acquire a visa. My TA has not mentioned this either. Can you clarify the above for me please. We will be leaving on 8 Sept and I see the website will not be available for registration until August - time enough?

Thanks

Hi raffles, the rules about obtaining visas if you don't qualify for the Visa Waiver Program changed after 9/11. You used to be able to apply by post for a visa, but now you have to attend in person at a time dictated by the US Embassy. If you can't attend when they arrange the appointment it can takes ages to get another. But the emphasis here is that you only need a visa if you don't qualify under the Visa Waiver Program.

Check out the VWP site http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/business_pleasure/vwp/vwp.xml

As you're travelling this year to the US, the new ESTA program is not intended to be mandatory until Jan 2009, so you should still be ok.

Even so, the deadline for ESTA application is 72 hours before travel so you would be ok for Sept when the website opens in August.

If you still have concerns I'd get in touch with your TA and get them to investigate further, I got the notification initially from my company TA.

Hi raffles, the rules about obtaining visas if you don't qualify for the Visa Waiver Program changed after 9/11. You used to be able to apply by post for a visa, but now you have to attend in person at a time dictated by the US Embassy. If you can't attend when they arrange the appointment it can takes ages to get another. But the emphasis here is that you only need a visa if you don't qualify under the Visa Waiver Program.

Check out the VWP site http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/business_pleasure/vwp/vwp.xml

As you're travelling this year to the US, the new ESTA program is not intended to be mandatory until Jan 2009, so you should still be ok.

Even so, the deadline for ESTA application is 72 hours before travel so you would be ok for Sept when the website opens in August.

If you still have concerns I'd get in touch with your TA and get them to investigate further, I got the notification initially from my company TA.

Although the website confused me somewhat at first, I now realise that we are ok as we do qualify for the VWP. Our passports were renewed only recently so conform to any recent changes. We have always just had to fill in a form on the plane so expect that will be the case in Sept - I will find out if I need to do anything else before next Feb when we will be back in the US.

Thanks again - panic over :o

I'm near Reddish, was brought up in Denton and have moved around Manchester over the years (Chorlton, Didsbury, Bramhall, city centre for 11 years and now in the suburbs!). Whereabouts are you from?

I'm from Miles Platting/Blackley although the family is spread out a lot more now. Most are still in that area but some have moved to Cheshire, Liverpool and other areas.

Although I've been home many times the last couple of times (last time being in April) I didn't go to Manchester as I DH to see other parts of the country and it seems every time family knows I'm there we never get anywhere because we're always visiting. :)

Pete - thank you so much for the info. I have family in Denmark that often travel with us so I will alert them. Also, I thank you for your positive attitude regarding our Homeland Security. We, Americans, don't like all the changes anymore than y'all do, but our lives changed forever after 9/11.

Nancy

I'm from Miles Platting/Blackley although the family is spread out a lot more now. Most are still in that area but some have moved to Cheshire, Liverpool and other areas.

Although I've been home many times the last couple of times (last time being in April) I didn't go to Manchester as I DH to see other parts of the country and it seems every time family knows I'm there we never get anywhere because we're always visiting. :)

LOL - I can imagine being in demand when you come home. How long have you been in Canada?

LOL - I can imagine being in demand when you come home. How long have you been in Canada?

Far too long. My mom was a war bride who married a Canadian soldier. I've been going back and forth since I was very small. That's why I have several sailing on Cunard. :p It used to be the only real way to travel. We would sail over stay several months then come back. I suppose we spent half our time there and half our time here. School started interferring with that and we could only go over for about 4 months at a time.

No one else in the family ever had an interest in following in my mom's footsteps but they did start coming over for short visits. Mostly it was us going over there.

Pete - thank you so much for the info. I have family in Denmark that often travel with us so I will alert them. Also, I thank you for your positive attitude regarding our Homeland Security. We, Americans, don't like all the changes anymore than y'all do, but our lives changed forever after 9/11.

Nancy

Hi Nancy, thank you for the compliments. You are so right that all our lives changed after 9/11. I have friends who live very close to ground zero and our company has an office in New York, so it affected us here as well, worrying about colleagues and close friends.

I travel extensively on business, and although it's sometimes a pain, I always check myself and remember why extra security is in place, it's all for a good reason and countries around the world are doing their best to keep the travelling public safe. You just need to plan more and allow extra time and be mindful why all the new rules and regualtions are implemented.

We've had our fair share of problems here in the UK, and I'll never forget when my home city of Manchester was devastated in 1996.

I can see a few problems with it, such as the issues with the ' nio fly lists' you are someone with a name the same as one on ther fly list, at least if they can see you they can compare looks and ask questions, now it could be just a rejection.

Hi Pete! I would tell your friends not to worry. I was denied entry once when crossing between Canada and the US. I was given an orange paper that was marked 'refused entry' and had to use the roundabout to go back through the Canadian border. I was travelling with my kids who are older and didn't have a notorized letter from their father and I guess the border official thought I was running away with them.:rolleyes: Although we were divorced for more than 5 years and I had legal custody I wasn't carrying the custody paperwork with me.

I have crossed the border both by air and land at least a dozen times a year since than and have never been denied entry since that time. Unless they were denied entrance due to a criminal record I would tell them not to worry. If you are driving across the border from Canada and decide not to enter the US you will automatically be given a 'refused entry' form as you actually need to cross the border in order to take the roundabout back into Canada. This may be why they were given the form. This form allows the Canadian officials to know that you were not visiting the US and that you have returned to Canada via the roundabout.

Hi Pete! I would tell your friends not to worry. I was denied entry once when crossing between Canada and the US. I was given an orange paper that was marked 'refused entry' and had to use the roundabout to go back through the Canadian border. I was travelling with my kids who are older and didn't have a notorized letter from their father and I guess the border official thought I was running away with them.:rolleyes: Although we were divorced for more than 5 years and I had legal custody I wasn't carrying the custody paperwork with me.

I have crossed the border both by air and land at least a dozen times a year since than and have never been denied entry since that time. Unless they were denied entrance due to a criminal record I would tell them not to worry. If you are driving across the border from Canada and decide not to enter the US you will automatically be given a 'refused entry' form as you actually need to cross the border in order to take the roundabout back into Canada. This may be why they were given the form. This form allows the Canadian officials to know that you were not visiting the US and that you have returned to Canada via the roundabout.

Thanks for putting our minds at rest, I didn't think it would be a problem, but with all the necessary extra security in place these days, you never know.

• 5 weeks later...

I've just tried to enter my details in this new system but because my UK passport was valid for more than 10 years when it was renewed (the UK Passport service adds the time remaining on your old passport to the new one) the system won't accept my application.

I hope this gets sorted before it becomes mandatory on Jan 1st 2009 otherwise we'll probably have to apply for a visa at a cost of £131 each and travel all the way to London at a time specified by the US Embassy.:(

• 7 months later...

As our vacation gets closer and we now have our flights details, I updated my ESTA application recently.

As mentioned in another thread, there still appears to be confusion about whether you still need to complete a I-94W form on the aircraft on your way to the US.

According to an ESTA website, you not only have to apply for ESTA at least 72 hours in advance of travel, but you also have to complete the paper form before arrival whilst onboard the aircraft.

Here's an extract from an ESTA web site.

Question: Do I still have to complete Form I-94W, the green form?

Answer:Yes. Until ESTA is fully implemented travelers to the U.S. must still complete Form I-94W. A Travel Authorization (ESTA) is applied for in advance while Form I-94W is completed on the airplane or at the U.S. port of entry. Learn how to document your departure by downloading the ESTA - Travel Authorization Application Guide if you loose your green I-94W departure slip.

Here's an extract from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site.

Q: What Can I Expect to Happen at a Port of Entry?A: Airport

When arriving at an airport, the airline will give all non-United States citizens a form to complete while still en route to the United States, either Form I-94 (white), Arrival/Departure Record, or Form I-94W (green), Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver Arrival/Departure Form and Customs Declaration form 6059B. The forms ask for basic identification information and the address where you will stay in the United States. Note that completion of the paper Form I-94W remains a requirement at the port of entry for Visa Waiver Travelers even if a travel authorization has been obtained via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization

Another thing to remember is that RCI mentioned in a recent letter I received from them (attached to my booking confirmation) that non-US visitors must bring a copy of their ESTA authorisation to the pier when checking in for the cruise.

And also worth noting, that although US immigration service allows you to enter the US as long as your passport is valid for at least 90 days from the date you enter the US, RCI passport conditions state that your passport is valid for at least 6 months after your expected return date to the UK. We nearly got caught out with this in 2006.

My sister and brother-in-law just got back from a cruise with us and they are from England. Yes you still have to fill out I-94W on the plane, my sister came through Atlanta as this is where we meet she said it only took her 1/2 hr to get thru immigration and customs. Even at the end of the cruise they sailed thru immigration and customs at Port Everglades they were ahead of us in line and I watched them breeze through.

They turned in the bottom half of the I-94W in Atlanta when they connected to the flight to London we walked over to there terminal with them my brother-in-law when up to the desk at the gate and they pulled the tag out of the passports.

As for bring your ESTA information my sister did but know wanted to see it not even Princess as that's who we cruised with. I would bring better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps.

Christine

Archived