How does open seating work?

Hello! For our Cruise in August there is two set times to dine, but no assigned table seating. It is open seating. Has anyone had this on their cruise? I was wondering if there was a host or hostess that seated you when you checked in for dinner and told them your party size, or if it is just a mad scramble to the tables and hope your party can dine together. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You are assigned a table when you check in, it will be on your seapass card. When you booked your cruise you should have been asked what size table you wanted. If not call whomever you booked through and have them put it on your reservation.

Why do you think it is open seating?

If it actually is open seating, there will be staff at the front of the dining room who will take your party size (and possibly your preference to dine by yourselves or with others), and seat you. No mad scramble. And don't worry if you see a big line - they are really efficient about getting everyone seated quickly.

For dinner, you will be assigned a table upon check-in, as Sue stated, your table number will be on your SeaPass card... If you didn't request a table size when you booked, give them a call and make that request... Also, if you are traveling with others who may have different booking numbers, you may want to make sure the reservations are linked if you intend to dine together... I believe the largest table size seats 12 so if there are more than that in your party, you will probably be split into two different tables...

For breakfast and lunch in the dining room, that is sort of "open seating" in that you are seated wherever (unlikely that it will be your dinner table) and possibly with others... they try to fill the tables for those meals... However, if you request a table alone, you will surely be given that... For breakfast and lunch, more people tend to choose the Windjammer (buffet) and in that case, it's grab what you can get... Certain times tend to be more crowded than others...

We had open seating on another cruise line. When we went to the D.R. we were asked how many people were in our party and if we wanted to share a table with strangers. After answering his questions we were brought to our table.

If you are in traditional dining you should have told someone when you booked your cruise whether you wanted "main dining" which is the early or first seating or "late dining" which is the later time, usually around 8:30 PM. Your table number will be on your seapass card. When you get to the ship one of the first things you want to do is to check to see where your table is. You can request any changes then. The head waiter "tries" to help everyone out just make sure you realize that he can not perform miracles.

Thanks to everyone for explaining how this works. This will be my first cruise with my kids, so I am glad to learn that the process moves quickly and we will not be standing around and waiting to eat. Thanks again for the valuable information.

Thanks to everyone for explaining how this works. This will be my first cruise with my kids, so I am glad to learn that the process moves quickly and we will not be standing around and waiting to eat. Thanks again for the valuable information.

Archived