SS. Amerikanis

I can't remember but I'm pretty certain the name of the ship was the SS Amerikanis that I went on in the 70's. Does anyone else remember going on this ship ? I do remember it was a greek ship, they had the best desserts ever on this ship. ;)

I can't remember but I'm pretty certain the name of the ship was the SS Amerikanis that I went on in the 70's. Does anyone else remember going on this ship ? I do remember it was a greek ship, they had the best desserts ever on this ship. ;)

The Kenya Castle sailed the around Africa service for some years before being purchased by the Chandris shipping family (now Celebrity Cruises) in 1967. She was refitted and her passenger capacity was increased to approximately 920 (one class). She became somewhat famous for being the first passenger ship to have a television in every cabin. The Amerikanis sailed trans-Atlantic cruises for several years before moving to the Caribbean, Bermuda, New York routes. She was leased to Costa Cruises (ship was still owned by Chandris) from 1980-1984. After regaining the distinctive Chandris "X" on her funnel, she went on to serve for another 12 years.

[edit] Scrapped

In 1996 she was laid up in Greece which is where she sat while several potential suitors bandied about ideas for this once beautiful liner. Unfortunately, nothing materialized and in 2000 or 2001 she was sold for scrap. Sometime in 2001 the Amerikanis made her way to the Alang, India breakers.

I also sailed on this ship twice.Both cruises left from NY & went to the Caribbean. In those days guests were allowed on board before the ship sailed & we had a party in our cabin before all guests were asked to leave the ship. As we sailed we were given confetti to throw from the railings. Our cabin had a porthole & we felt so fortunate. I think the pool was the size of a hot tub on the new ships. We also dressed up for dinner every evening. Those were the good old days of cruising. Also, the longshoremen took your luggage as you got out of the car & it wound up in your cabin shortly after. At the time I never knew what the Big X on the smokestack meant. We're Celebrity fans now.

I took a Caribbean cruise on her over Christmas '76. Great Greek crew and food. A lot of teachers and college professors from California were on this cruise, and many brought their late teens/early 20s kids. I was 25 at the time and was blown away by all these adorable California girls, as well as those from other places. Great time and memories!

Click on the link below. Pictures have been posted there and that should jog your memory!

[thread]323826[/thread]

THANKS PEASEA8!!!

HI SULLARAFFAELLO!!! Check out the thread outlined above by PEASEA8. There are some pictures too. The AMERIKANIS was a barrel of fun...to be sure. Lots of great memories.

Ross

• 3 weeks later...

Archived