Cruising out of Boston???????????????

mommyx2

Hi we are cruising out of boston next year, but have free southwest tickets and they fly into manchester or providence. What would be the best and most cost effective for family of 4 to get from either of these airports to boston hotel pre cruise? I plan on taxi to get to ship..

we are coming from CA and have never been to boston..

Thanks

Tami

it is over an hour between the cities?/ the cost could kill you.. i am guessing a bus that goes from somewhere to the city of boston but is it worth it.

boston was my home for 21 years. love the city but i would fly in and take a shuttle to hotel.. then walk the city all day every day and take a duck tour.

I'm originally from Rhode Island and now live in New Hampshire, so I'm quite familiar with both PVD and MHT airports.

Manchester is passenger-friendly and Southwest has many flights in and out. Unfortunately, there is no convenient public transportation from the airport to Boston. You would have to take a cab to the downtown Manchester bus station, catch a Concord Coaches express bus to South Station, and then another cab to your hotel. And even this might not be possible, depending on your travel date, as Concord Coaches has just announced that they will be withdrawing service from downtown Manchester - not sure just when.

Providence's Green Airport is some distance south of Providence, so a trip from the airport to downtown Boston involves going through or around Providence and then fighting Boston traffic all the way into South Station. It's been a while since I've flown into Providence, so there may or may not be direct bus service, most likely Peter Pan, from airport to Boston. It might very well be necessary to change buses in downtown Providence. Peter Pan is a Greyhound affiliate, so check out the Greyhound website.

Obviously to use your free Southwest tickets you'll have to fly into MHT or PVD, as they don't go to Boston Logan. What this all adds up to is the old New England joke - "You can't get there from here.

If you have a local TA, he or she should be able to check out limo services from both airports. There should be something available, as both airports are now aggressively selling themselves as alternatives to Boston Logan.

is the free ticket worth the time, headache and cost of a limo or 3 bus's.. not to me

Depends where they are coming from! If, for example, from west coast, 4 tickets to Boston could cost over $2,000. You can hire a lot of limos for that.

If opting to use the SW tickets, I'd try to fly into MHT. It's a much easier drive to Boston than from PVD. Best to plan to arrive MHT mid to late morning, as I-93 commuter traffic into Boston is very heavy during morning rush hour.

Bob

Archived