Can you spend the night in a port city and rejoin the ship the next day?

Hi. The reason why passports were collected on the Med/Egypt itinerary and not the Italy/Croatia one is because of the Egypt port of call (outside EEC). Same thing happens on itineraries that call at St Petersburg.

I just read a thread on the NCL board where the same question was asked, and they said Italian cabotage laws forbid it. I would check with an Italian consulate or embassy before chancing it. And ships DO miss ports that are not tendered, if seas are too rough to attempt the channel into the port. Malta is an example, Hamburg...EM

• 3 weeks later...

Just for an update, I did send a request to the RCL Air-Sea department on Friday. I couldn't believe it when today (Sunday) I received 2 emails. 1 that approved disembarking in Livorno, the other to approve getting back on in Civitavecchia. I am on the Brilliance which is round trip out of BCN. That may be the difference. This will make planning for the 1 night in Rome so much easier.

We will be on a Med cruise that docks in both Livorno and Rome. Can we get off in Livorno, then take the train to Rome and spend the night in Rome instead of getting back on the ship? We would re-join the ship the next day. Has anyone ever done this?

(I guess it would be similar to what would happen if you missed the ship and it left without you...)

Thoughts??

Please, keep us updated, and let us know what happens.

Just for an update, I did send a request to the RCL Air-Sea department on Friday. I couldn't believe it when today (Sunday) I received 2 emails. 1 that approved disembarking in Livorno, the other to approve getting back on in Civitavecchia. I am on the Brilliance which is round trip out of BCN. That may be the difference. This will make planning for the 1 night in Rome so much easier.

I believe that many posts ago.....that was my statement of where to start.........and you received exactly what we received. When onboard, let Guest Relations know......and they in turn will inform security. Take both emails with you and show the disembarkation email to security before leaving the ship. They will check your name against the list that they have at the gangway. If, for some reason your name is not on the list, the email from corporate will immediately be copied, and you will be allowed off.

Then when you return to the ship.......have the 2nd email from corporate just in case security needs it. In our case they did not.

Congratulations. A simple procedure followed........and you were rewarded with what you wanted. :)

Rick

Our friends who cross the "t's" and dot the "i's" tried what you've mentioned. They checked, double checked, and were give full approval. When they tried to reboard the ship, their Seapass Cards had been voided. They finally got onboard to find their cabin had been vacated and items stored. This is just a word of caution. We had planned to do the same thing but chickened out.

lulybellsea - If that were to happen I would be more than a little upset but I am not too concerned. It's not like they are going to suddenly take on extra passengers and I will not have my cabin. I will also make sure to tell our cabin steward so he knows.

rubrrick - if you look at my other post you will see I did try this once before with Celebrity (rcl air-sea) and they did not allow it in advance, but then the ship did. It all depends on the country and also where you are beginning and ending your cruise. I am not the OP and do know the process just wanted to update others on this specific question.

Not sure when the OP is going, we are going in November and I will try to post back. I am really not concerned unless they suddenly will not let us do it once we board. I have learned from many cruises to just go with the flow. I plan as much as possible in advance and change as required.

We did this on a Celebrity sailing several years ago. We got off at Civitavecchia and reboarded in Livorno. We wanted to spend extra time in Rome and extra time in Florence. We took the train from Rome at around 5:30 PM and arrived in Florence about 7:00 PM. It was still light out and we got to walk around without the crush of day-tripping tourists. Also, the next morning we got to experience Florence for at least 3 hours before the day-trippers showed up again. It was heaven. We stayed at a cute little hotel just a block from the train station.

We cleared it with Guest Relations while on board and they had us fill out some paperwork and returned our passports to us (they had been taken at the start of the cruise). Did not even consider talking to Celebrity prior to us sailing.:confused:

When we got back on the ship at Livorno, our sea passed "buzzed" instead of "dinging". But it was no big deal, security just told us to go to Guest Relations and have them give us new seapass cards which they did. And, no, our room was not packed up !! Of course, we had told our room steward we'd be gone that night so he wouldn't be worrying about us either.

Archived