eurodam laundry

hulamoon

Aloha Eagle eyes,

Does anyone see laundry on the deck plan? I checked the website and it says the Vista class does not have it but it doesn't mention the new Eurodam.

Thank you,

I think HAL made a big mistake by not putting self service laundries in the newer ships. Especially if they want to attract younger people , families. Not to mention the airline luggage restrictions.

Princess has it all over HAL in this regard, self service laundries on all ships

I think I will be okay with it, as long as they have the reasonable full bag of laundry for... was it 12 dollars? This is cheaper than the extra bag charge.

I will not be dragging 5 large bags of luggage anywhere again after our St Marks fiasco, so the next trip is going to take serious planning and consideration for packing that I have limited skill in doing! It is usually the doubts about weather and formal night attire that leave me spinning. We have I think 5 formal nights on our next cruise, maybe if I have to wear the same outfit twice I will do it in the alternative restuarant. :(

I am sure, this time with so many months to get it together I will do a better job. I noticed some websites with travel attire and maybe I will surrender to this idea.

We do handwash in the sink by the way, for the stretchy kind of clothes I do not want in a dryer. It works fine. I do not recommend putting soap in the tub and turning on the whirlpool option as a way of getting more agitation for your hand washables.:p The suds go into overdrive.:D

HAL can always retrofit self service laundries. There is no way I would book a HAL cruise with young kids, you need the flexibility to do laundry asap.

We just did a Princess 12 day with 2 big kids, we packed very light and took turns throwing in a load of laundry every 2 and a half to 3 days. Laundries were busy but I always found an open machine.

I'm not sure i would do a 12 day on a ship without a laundry facility. Some airlines are even charging for the first bag and a second bag is pricey.

I know you can have the ship do the laundry but it costs a lot more and when you need something laundered, you may need it asap. You need the flexibility to do it yourself

HAL ships all have a huge laundry and crew to do it for you.

The charge is not excessive and the service is excellent.

Enjoy a treat.....you're on vacation. Let them launder the things you absolutely need done.

I know, I know.....there is sure to be a poster who will say they don't like to have anyone wash their clothes. This is where 'choices' enter. We have the choice to pick the ship that most meets our needs and likes. Pick a ship that has a self service laundry if it is that important. Again...choices.

We have laundry /dry cleaning included in our fare (definitely not free in "S" cabins) but I hand wash my dainties. I don't care to send them out. Takes but a minute in the sink. :)

HAL ships all have a huge laundry and crew to do it for you.

The charge is not excessive and the service is excellent.

Enjoy a treat.....you're on vacation. Let them launder the things you absolutely need done.

I know, I know.....there is sure to be a poster who will say they don't like to have anyone wash their clothes. This is where 'choices' enter. We have the choice to pick the ship that most meets our needs and likes. Pick a ship that has a self service laundry if it is that important. Again...choices.

We have laundry /dry cleaning included in our fare (definitely not free in "S" cabins) but I hand wash my dainties. I don't care to send them out. Takes but a minute in the sink. :)

But on a 26 day cruise, I had many items that I would not want the ship to wash!! I don't want certain items shrunk.

I don't wash in a sink.

It was really rough packing for that cruise.

HAL can always retrofit self service laundries. There is no way I would book a HAL cruise with young kids, you need the flexibility to do laundry asap.

We just did a Princess 12 day with 2 big kids, we packed very light and took turns throwing in a load of laundry every 2 and a half to 3 days. Laundries were busy but I always found an open machine.

I'm not sure i would do a 12 day on a ship without a laundry facility. Some airlines are even charging for the first bag and a second bag is pricey.

I know you can have the ship do the laundry but it costs a lot more and when you need something laundered, you may need it asap. You need the flexibility to do it yourself

You are right -- HAL could certainly retrofit their ships to have self service laundries.

I can remember when the Zuiderdam came out and there were very few public restrooms - none near the restaurant or the show rooms. People were screaming.

Guess what -- the Zuiderdam was retrofitted with them and they were added to the other Vista class ships!!

You are right -- HAL could certainly retrofit their ships to have self service laundries.

I can remember when the Zuiderdam came out and there were very few public restrooms - none near the restaurant or the show rooms. People were screaming.

Guess what -- the Zuiderdam was retrofitted with them and they were added to the other Vista class ships!!

The Zuiderdam and Westerdam have gone to dry dock and if HAL wanted to add self service laundries, they would have. They have their reasons why they do not want the laundries and it may be aggravation of broken machines all the time and low revenue from space that can provide more substantial revenue.

We've sailed on Princess once, and on the Noordam twice. And I must admit, even though HAL wins my vote, the only thing I prefer on Princess are the self-service laundries.

I sent the laundry out by the bag on the Noordam, but there are lots of things I don't toss in the dryer (travel knits, etc.)...I'd prefer to be in charge of my own laundry! :rolleyes:

We've sailed on Princess once, and on the Noordam twice. And I must admit, even though HAL wins my vote, the only thing I prefer on Princess are the self-service laundries.
In that case you should sail on the R-class or S-class ships. Since you like the Noordam, I suggest you try the Amsterdam, which is my co-favorite with the Noordam. :)

There are 9 HAL ships that DO have laundries. 4 S class and 4 R class and the Prinsendam. Only 5 HAL ships don't have laundries.

The Zuiderdam and Westerdam have gone to dry dock and if HAL wanted to add self service laundries, they would have. They have their reasons why they do not want the laundries and it may be aggravation of broken machines all the time and low revenue from space that can provide more substantial revenue.

HAL's Vista class ships were designed with the idea of their being for 7 day cruises - get them on - get them off.

HAL makes more money on the 7 day itineraries as people are willing to spend more money on a 7 day cruise than on longer cruises.

The R class ships - rarely do they sail anymore in the Caribbean - Volendam - Zaandam -- Rotterdam -- Amsterdam. And we just can't get to those ships - thanks to the airlines. And DH has health problems which prevents him from flying long distances.

We love the R class ships.

S class ships -- inspite of HAL going to start stretching them, they really need major overhauls on them - plumbing - air conditioning.

I dont know what length of sailing the Vista class ships were designed for

We have been on several and really enjoyed other than no laundry , they were 7 days and it was before the luggage restrictions so we managed. Actually on our first Vista class I didnt know ahead of time and was quite suprised since older HAL ships had laundry

Last year we were on a 10 day Veendam and the laundry was the busiest site on the ship, The masses were taking advantage of the self service laundry. On our last full day I talked to a man who was switching to the Westerdam for a back to back 10 day and he just learned no laundry on board. He was not happy but at least had the chance to get everything done before he left the Veendam.

They are using the Vista class ships on 10 to 12 day itineraries and the lack of self service laundry is a real drawback. Especially in the days of luggage restrictions.

I'm hoping they re evaluate with the luggage restrictions and longer itineraries and retro fit. The masses would appreciate it

I do like HAL and hoping they tweak a few things.

HAL's Vista class ships were designed with the idea of their being for 7 day cruises - get them on - get them off.

HAL makes more money on the 7 day itineraries as people are willing to spend more money on a 7 day cruise than on longer cruises.

KK, I think this is the best explanation for lack of laundry facilities on the Vista Class, I have seen.

Here's a round -up of laundry facilities on other popular cruise lines:

Carnival- Yes

Celebrity- No

Cunard- Yes

HAL- Yes/No/Maybe so

NCL- No

RCL- No

Princess- Yes

I think after the experience of all four Vistas with no self service laundry, if HAL had thought that a bad idea, they would have put laundry rooms on Eurodam. Apparently they are satisfied with the way it's been on the Vistas, so I doubt they will add laundry to Eurodam..

I always use the laundry service and have found them to do an excellent professional job. They do not shrink or otherwise abuse clothing. I would never hesitate to send anything to either the laundry or drycleaning on the Vistas and I'm sure it will be the same on the Eurodam. As someone mentioned, the cost of laundry is less than the cost of extra luggage on a domestic flight. For $45 on a 7 day cruise you get unlimited laundry for the stateroom. I find myself packing lighter and lighter each cruise because I know I can count on the laundry onboard.

Moriah

We have always been well pleased with the laundry service on all our cruises but I often state here I watch what I send out.

I would not send out a pricey St. John knit for example. I leave that for my hometown dry cleaner. If I had a particularly delicate lace or chiffon, I would only send it out if I badly stained it and did not want the stain to sit long on the garment before trying to have it cleansed.

Comon sense rules here as with most things in life. If it is very delicate or hugely pricey and would break your heart to lose it, don't send it.

Most men's suits can be worn more than once between cleanings. No need to send it out during a ten day cruise assuming he didn't spill a bowl of soup in his lap. :D

JMHO.........

Archived