? about camera protection

what do you use to protect dslr from spray for ship, rain, etc for your camera. i'm not sure i want to use the "aquapac" that covers the lens. anything that weather proof and not snorkel/scuba water proof? also, about the protectors for the dslrs, to help from getting dinged, scratched, etc. i have tamrac slingpack for my min photo equipment, lens polarizers, extra battery, lots of memory, 2 back up p&s's, and flash along with canon xsi with 18-55IS kit lens and 70-300 IS lens. any other "must haves"

thanks beth

what do you use to protect dslr from spray for ship, rain, etc for your camera. i'm not sure i want to use the "aquapac" that covers the lens. anything that weather proof and not snorkel/scuba water proof? also, about the protectors for the dslrs, to help from getting dinged, scratched, etc. i have tamrac slingpack for my min photo equipment, lens polarizers, extra battery, lots of memory, 2 back up p&s's, and flash along with canon xsi with 18-55IS kit lens and 70-300 IS lens. any other "must haves"

thanks beth

For rain and spray while whale watching, etc., I use a Tenba RC-14 (with the 70-200 f/2.8 attached. larger and smaller ones are available). This wraps around the lens with velcro and covers the body. It has a clear back so you can see through the viewfinder and look at the LCD.

You may also want to check out the ProBrella from Popabrella, though it's more suited to use with a tripod.

Dave

A few things you can do to help protect a camera when you are out and about.

1) Lens hood - These can help protect the front of the lens from scratches from bumps and rubbing against zippers, etc.

2) Filters - provided you have a quality filter you can use filters to help protect the front of the lens from salt spray and other abuses. Don't use one as a substitute for a hood and make sure

3) Non-slip straps - get a GOOD camera strap that works well for you. One trick is to sew a button on each shoulder of the jacket that you wear most often (or get a photographers vest). Nothing is as sickening as the slow-motion feeling when a camera slips off your shoulder and drops to the ground.

4) The ubiquiteous(sp) ziploc bag - keep one or two of larger bags (big enough for your camera) in your kit along with a couple of absorbant paper towels to dry things off.

5) A 'blower' like the Giotto Rocket which can help clear dust or sand off a camera. Fairly inexpensive and a must-have piece of gear! Make sure you use the blower on any glass element or viewfinder/LCD before using a cloth.

Did I mention lens hoods to protect the lens along with a good camera strap?:D

There are other options to protect the gear from the rain/elements ranging from waterproof covers, umbrellas and full housings. In the rain don't just protect the camera body. Water can work its way into a telezoom lens unless it is sealed and many are not. Weatherproofing is one of the reasons I selected the Olympus E3 and their mid-grade (or better) lenses.

Cheers

Chris in VA

Archived