Currency - Budapest and Prague

nyfeds

I can only speak from my Budapest experience this June. Taxi from and to airport would accept Euros. All museums and public transportation accept only Fonts. Restaurants in "Ped" zone would accept euros at a favorable rate for them. I cannot speak for restaurants in the less tourist driven "restaurant row". Credit cards might be the best way to go?

We took out a small amount of local money from the ATM machines, but almost everyone took Euros in both cities. We didn't find the rate too bad - it seemed that they were happier taking Euros than their own currency.

In Prague I would suggest using the Czech crown instead of Euros because you will get a better deal for your money. ATM's are readily available at banks on the Old Town square. Small shops do not take credit cards. Most shops will accept Euros, but their exchange rate will not be exact, and you will pay a higher price than in crowns.

Thanks for your replies.

Our preference is to use HUF and CZK. I did, however, see certain things within Budapest and Prague quoted in Euros. Therefore, I asked the question.

Needless to say, Euro is NOT our preference. And CC for larger transactions is certainly the way we always go when we're able to do so.

Thanks, again!

Czech central bank chief sees no new euro members for 4-5 years

06 June 2008, 16:47 CET

(PRAGUE) - Czech Central Bank governor Zdenek Tuma predicted Friday that after Slovakia joins the eurozone next year no other countries would adopt the European single currency for four or five years.

"In the next four or five years there will be no new members of the euro zone," Tuma said at a conference in Prague when questioned which country might be next to follow Slovakia. "Nobody is in a position to do so," he added.

Slovakia is set to become the 16th member of the eurozone on January 1, 2009, after its membership bid was approved by the European Commission in May and by European finance ministers earlier this week. The decision still has to be rubberstamped by EU heads of state.

The current centre-right Czech government has set no target date for entering the eurozone, a step which it like other new EU members are bound to prepare for.

15 EU states currently use the euro as their currency: Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Greece, Spain, France, Italy, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Slovenia and Finland.

Bulgaria, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Sweden and the UK are the EU members currently outside the single European currency.

When we were in Budapest several merchants told us that in either 2009 or 2010 the country will be converting to Euros ... don't know if that is true or not ... we had an interesting lecture aboard our cruise on the European Union ... complete with handouts ... I am currently on vacation but when I get home I'll see what I can find in the brochure.

Travel Nymph,

It appears, from both of your posts, that Euro as well as HUF/CZK are used in Hungary and Czech Republic. As the exchange rate is more favorable using HUF/CZK, it's wiser to go with HUF/CZK when weighing the exchange rate of our USD vs. Euro.

Webfoot,

I hope you are able to find and share the information within the brochure, when time allows. Have an enjoyable trip.

Just got back from Budapest to Prague (June 16 - July 2, 2008)

Many places would accept Euro's in place of local currency. There were a few places that excepted only local currency. Needed to have coins in the correct currency for the metro tickets.

We bought a 3 day metro ticket pass for Budapest. Directions for tickets were only in the local language. Bought the ticket from a window in the center exchange metro station.

In Prague we only needed the tickets for 1 trip. Directions where in English in Prague

You must know the end location for the metro to determine the train to get on.

MSEm

We got home from vacation yesterday and I found my brochure on the European Union. It shows great maps of which countries belong to the EU, which ones are candidates, and which use the Euro. However, I found that instead of me discussing what we learned, I found a wonderful website with all of the information condensed. It shows everything that our brochure did.

NYFeds, hope that this is of interest:

http://europa.eu/abc/index_en.htm

MSEM -

We are counting the days until we take Amadeus-Amacello from Budapest to Prague in August. When you mentioned the metro ticket pass, I assume that it's different from the Budapest Card? Did you have a reason for not purchasing the Budapest Card? One other question (for now) ... was it a big deal getting from the Budapest airport to your hotel. All the worrisome talk about the local cabs has generated this question.

Thanks.

The price for the metro ticket is much less than the Budapest (or Prague) Card. I would suggest getting the 24 or the 72 (1 or 3 day Metro card). The 1 or 3 day Metro card will make it much easier to use the Metro. Use get on and get off and make transfers as necessary. Remember to look of the station at the end of the route for which train you will need.

I will have to look at my notes for more info.

We did not have any need for all of the "discounts" that come with the Budapest (or Prague Or name of city) card.

Hope this help.

MSEm

There is a schuttle that will take you from the airport to your hotel. I think the cost is about $8 US per person. You can purchase the tickets near the luggage pickup. Also there is an ATM there. I got some cash from the ATM while waiting for the luggage. Also many people were getting tickets for the shuttle while waiting for the luggage to arrive. After getting our luggage it was easy to clear customs by just showing our passports. The shuttle is the cheapest way to get from the airport to the front door of your hotel.

Have a great trip

MSEm

MSEm and Travel Nymph

Thanks for your advice on exiting Budapest Airport. It's nice to hear that it's no big deal.

MSEm

Thank you for pointing out the big difference in cost between the multi-day tickets and the Budapest Card. Knowing that the same ticket works for the metro and the trams fits our needs. Do you have any stories about forgetting to validate your ticket?

Thanks.

With the 1 Day or 3 Day Budapest Metro Ticket you do not need to valid. There will be Metro "police" looking at your ticket before you go down to the trains. Many of the hotels will have a 1 trip ticket for sale. We had to go to a major exchange Metro Station to purchase the ticket.

We also bought a 24 hour Metro Ticket in Prague. In Prague we just use one of the ticket machines. The Prague 24 hour ticket is good for 24 hours from when you purchased the ticket.

MSEm

Archived