Vibration on Splendour of the Seas

sh1955

I noticed that several reviews of the Splendour mentioned a vibration problem. Can anyone comment? Can you feel the vibration in all cabins? All decks/areas?

The reviews mentioning this problem were listed for sailings 03/04.

Does anyone know if RCI has done anything to correct the problem?

We have been on the Splendour, Legend (twice), and Grandeur - all Vision Class ships - and they have ALL had serious vibration problems. Must be the class of ship. I've not noticed vibration problems like that on any other class.

I've been on the Splendour, Vision and Rhapsody and haven't noticed anything that I haven't felt on any other cruise ship... Only thing I've felt that has been a little different was the front thrusters. I've had cabins towards the front twice and noticed the thrusters when turned on near dock.

Enjoy the ships, love the Vision class.

I was on the Splendour in April of 03 and never noticed a vibration problem on our 10 day cruise.......however......I know several CC friends that were on the cruise after ours and they had all sorts of problems.........but at least on our cruise I can honestly say there were no vibration problems...

Agree also with previous poster.......have been on Splendour, Enchantment and Rhapsody and love the Vision class ships.

We were on the Splendour in February of this year for a 12 night cruise. We had some really rough seas during our sailing. Our cabin was a D1, starboard side, in the front of the ship. As posted earlier we felt the thrusters some when we were docking or having to stay in one place when we had to wait for a tour that was late getting back in Belize. They had to bring them out in a seperate boat. We did not notice the stabilizer problem that some have felt. We will sail on this ship again when given a chance.

Ít´s some time ago that I´ve been on the Splendour and I´ve been on Legend (2x), Vision(2x) and Grandeur too.

As others said I have never had a problem on any of the Vision class ships. The bow thrusters are a bit loud when you are staying in one of the lower front cabins, but they are only use while docking or while anchored.

The wife and I heard of the problem around Feb & March of 2004. We personally flew out to Barceloa in late May to check this problem out for our selfs. We did not find any vibration and we were on Deck 4. We did have a Air Bus 320 between Frankfurt and Barcelona that needed a bearing oiled. That bearing just made all kinds of a high pitched noises. Thank goodness that flight was only an hour and forty five minutes. Best cruise yet. Tim and Cathy.

Norwegian Sky Alaska 5/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Mediterrean 5/04

I just recently got back from the 10/2 sailing of Splendour out of

Barcelona. We had an outside on Deck 3 midship and in my opinion, it was

one of the smoothest riding cruises I've been on, and I have been on a LOT

of cruises. There wasn't a ripple of vibration in our area. ;)

Could someone tell me what shape the Splendour is in? One poster commented on how the beds and linens were in dire need of replacement. She described them as being hard and flat. Did any of you have this experience?

I thought the Splendour had gone through some refurbishment lately and that the mattresses and linens were replaced. Were there signs of reburbishment elsewhere on the ship?

We will be on the Splendour 12/18/04, click here for roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=84712

IMHO the older lady has had a face lift and is in great shape. As we were leaving the ship in Feb 2004 they were taking new dinning room chairs as we were picking up our luggage. I have to chuckle about the beds situation.... I have problems with my neck and lower back. I am on daily medication for my problems and I slept like a baby on the Splendour. I did take my own pillow....but I do that where ever I go. I cruise because the beds are better than most hotels. This is a great ship and the crew is wonderful, unless they have all ended their contracts in the last eight months. We were on her for 12 nights..... will sail on her again any time. I wish she hadn't left Galveston.......I would be booking a 4 or 5 day on her again.

Howard6933......we were on the 10/2 sailing...how come you didn't join the meet and mingle???? We could have used you!

This was our second sailing on Splendour and there was no vibration. It was a very smooth sailing. We were on the aft both times. The only time I have ever felt vibration is going in or out of port.

We did have a mattress that was hard as a rock..they brought a egg crate type thing. It helped.

The drapes and bedspreads looked like the same ones we had before and they were worn. Pretty sure the carpet (in room) was the same as well.

Rest of the ship looked great.

Ist experience with the new menu. Appetizer and soup are combined under appetizer. No big deal because you can still order both. I'm pretty sure this is right, only one salad choice or the ceasar salad on the anytime menu.

Less choices. Only 2 or 3 deserts most nights.

Oh.....intant mashed potatoes...never had those on a ship before!

For those that are pickey about their beds let me repost about the beds on the Splendour. I sleep on a $3500.00 pillow top bed that is firm but not like sleeping on a board. The beds that I experienced on our sailings with RCI have been on the Rhapsody and the Splendour. Both of the beds, or first being in a Catagory M on the Rhapsody, and the second on the Splendour a D1 Catagory, were firm but not like sleeping on a rock. I will say that the bed I slept on at a Best Western near the Johnson Space Center was probably harder than the asphalt in the parking lot where our SUV was parked. I guess the beds are just like the food, we all have are preferences. If you are looking for a pillow top comfort, then no they aren't that comfey. Are they ok to sleep on?...... for me with 5 bulging disks in my back.....yes they were, and DH started snoring within two minutes after he climbed into bed, so I will vote for him and say he says they are ok.:D If you have a suitcase that you can pack an egg crate into ...bring it with you......it can't hurt. I am flying into Miami this time so I won't be packing an eggcrate..... and sleeping is in my top ten list of things that matter on a cruise.

As far as the drapes and carpet on the Splendour.... they were fine in our balcony cabin......but then I haven't changed drapes or carpet in ten years in my own house. I am not dependent on decor to make my vacation. I was really more interested that I wasn't at work, or cooking, and seeing the Panama Canal, and meeting so many new people in our ports of call. I guess I won't get the Martha Stewart award:( . I really was more interested in how the staff treated us and having smiling faces around us...... I can vouch for that...... the crew were wonderful aboard the Splendour.....Happy sailing to everyone.

Archived