Alcohol. Bringing your own, etc...????

vizzle

We packed rum runners in our checked luggage - no problem - we still spent about $300 on the bar bill but the rum runners gave us nice drinks to have in the room.

We stopped at the liquor store before getting on Destiny in Jan and I purchased 2 bottles of champagne put them in my carry on and guess what?? They took them before I was able to board the ship - but we did get them back the last night of the cruise - so THANK GOODNESS FOR RUM RUNNERS!!

I love the pic of the guy with the suitcase full of beer, lol.... Too funny.

OK my DH drinks the premade margaritas and they come in gallon sizes and I didnt want to be caught with them in there regular containers so I figured I would get a few gallon sized Gatoraid bottles and put the margarita mix in the Gatoraid bottles. Do you guys think that is a good idea or what? Got a better idea? I was going to put 2 gallons in each of our bags which we have 3 bags for the 3 of us.

Any better ideas for his margarita mix? I got my vodka part all down, lol...

Danielle

Ok, so dumb question.....do we leave our luggage at the place where we check in? I am planning on bringing some minis...we are driving so i am assuming that we will carry on all of our bags? Correct me if I am wrong....

thanks,

sandi

Why smuggle?:confused: Just order from the Bon Voyage dept. We did for our cruise last week and had 2 litres of vodka and 2 bottles of wine waiting in our cabin. No hassles and stress free. We also ended up having the drink of the day and ordered wine with dinner each night. All together we spent less than $250 on alcohol for the week. Not bad at all IMO.

I just cruised CCL - I packed 1 big bottle of Absolut Vodka in my luggage and another bottle of Absolut in my husband's luggage - both made it through no problem. I wrapped them in a small kitchen garbage bag just in case of breakage and then wrapped that in a towel and packed it snug between clothing. I also packed two bottles of bloody mary mix - 1 in each bag, wrapped similiarly. I walked through security with a bottle of wine - my bag was xray'd and I was pulled aside - but since we're allowed to carry on one bottle of wine per person, that was no problem. All the alcohol I packed in my luggage made it through to my cabin with no problems at all. I think if you pack it in your luggage, you're not going to have problems; if you try to carry it on, it will get confiscated - unless it's wine or champagne.

Heres my problem with ordering wine from the ship..

I have looked at there wine menu and for me its junk.

So i am going to see if i can get a few extra bottles on.

I'm not cheap just really picky about my wine.;)

Why smuggle?:confused: Just order from the Bon Voyage dept. We did for our cruise last week and had 2 litres of vodka and 2 bottles of wine waiting in our cabin. No hassles and stress free. We also ended up having the drink of the day and ordered wine with dinner each night. All together we spent less than $250 on alcohol for the week. Not bad at all IMO.

Not my kind of fun paying triple or more for a bottle of booze when I can "bring" my own. Their prices are ridiculously high.:rolleyes:

OK my DH drinks the premade margaritas and they come in gallon sizes and I didnt want to be caught with them in there regular containers so I figured I would get a few gallon sized Gatoraid bottles and put the margarita mix in the Gatoraid bottles. Do you guys think that is a good idea or what? Got a better idea? I was going to put 2 gallons in each of our bags which we have 3 bags for the 3 of us.

Danielle

We drink the Jose Cuervo premade margaritas that come in the large glass containers - might be the same as yours. I bought a large plastic container that is shaped like a thin rectangular box with a spigot attached from Wally World. I pour the margarita into that and place the container in a large ziploc bag. The container will hold a lot - one margarita bottle will not fill it up. It packs flat and it has made it safe on two cruises. Remember to take some Grand Marnier too. :)

I love the pic of the guy with the suitcase full of beer, lol.... Too funny.

OK my DH drinks the premade margaritas and they come in gallon sizes and I didnt want to be caught with them in there regular containers so I figured I would get a few gallon sized Gatoraid bottles and put the margarita mix in the Gatoraid bottles.

Danielle

Actually, we had a couple of the premix 2 liter in plastic bottles that we just put right in the checked suitcase.

Think of how many bags are checked for a cruise, 2,500?....3,000? Just how close do you think they are checking these bags?

Heres my problem with ordering wine from the ship..

I have looked at there wine menu and for me its junk.

So i am going to see if i can get a few extra bottles on.

I'm not cheap just really picky about my wine.;)

That's EXACTLY how I feel. I have one word of advice, though.

BUBBLEWRAP

On our recent cruise we packed 2 bottles of wine in carry-on. The rest was in our checked luggage. We poured sangria, coconut rum, and bacardi rum in our rum runners (b/c they were in glass bottles). The liquor that was in plastic bottles (margarita mixer and vanilla flavored vodka) we just put right in the luggage w/o wrapping them. And the other two bottles of wine we took, we wrapped in towels and put in big ziplock baggies in case of any leaks.

We put suitcase locks on our suitcases, handed them over to the porters, and they arrived in our room by 1:00 with no breakage or leakage issues.

I absolutely love the guy with the suitcase full of beer.. that's a classic!!

we took a bottle of amaretto, packed it in bubblewrap in a box, then wrapped it & put a card on it like it was a present! Also, bought 2 cases of beer, put them in checked luggage and no problem!

I read somewhere someone bought a case of coke or sprite, folded the box in their suitcase (pop not in it).. went to the store b/4 getting on the ship and put the beer into the coke box and glued shut.. alot of work, but then I guess if they open your checked luggage (which I HIGHLY DOUBT) it would just look like a case of coca cola!

Very true... think if they had to open every single piece of checked luggage.. that would take HOURS.. they don't have time to do that

We're off on our cruise 4 weeks from today.. I know we'll take some on our cruise.. it saves some $$$$ ... plus you are on vacation.. you might want a drink b/4 the bar opens ;)

I agree with ordering. All the stress folks put into sneaking it.......whew. It seems that having it waiting for you in the cabin is a good way to go. Less costly than by the drink:cool:

By the time you would buy the rum runners the cost of a liter ordered to your cabin would be cheaper. Then after reading all the posts I will just make friends with some one like Bob who brought the clothes on his back and two suit cases of beer. Didn't he look three shades to the wind in that pic. lol

Wow - this is so interesting. Has anyone heard of anyone putting beer in their checked luggage and getting caught??

If no one has been caught yet, it's only a matter of time what with all this information about how to smuggle on the forum.

How long will it take before cruise companies "get it" and start running checked bags through scanners either pre-load or after-load? When smuggling begins to effect their bottom line, they'll do something about it, for sure.

Right now, they just jack up the prices onboard.

By the time you would buy the rum runners the cost of a liter ordered to your cabin would be cheaper. Then after reading all the posts I will just make friends with some one like Bob who brought the clothes on his back and two suit cases of beer. Didn't he look three shades to the wind in that pic. lol

That is not true! You may break even on the first litter, but not above that.

Just off the Fantasy, we bought 2 bottles of wine before we left, we enjoyed the wine at home. Then washed out and filled with whiskey and just pushed the cork back in so they would not leak. We placed in our carry on and brought them with us on the ship. Made it well through the check in process and in less than an hour had drinks in the cabin.

You end up dumping out what you don't drink!!!

Whatever it is you plan to smuggle on board......Your NOT going to want to walk by the dog in Customs when you return from your trip.:cool:

Other than that...I recomend you buy your booze in plastic bottles and wrap it in a towel or clothing.

Those guys beat the cr@p out of your luggage!

what about bringing "water bottles" with rum/vodka in a small carry on ice chest along with regular water bottles, and diet "green tea" with tequilla. some real some "special". we leave on sunday. has anyone done this? do they look that closely or actually open bottles in a small cooler?

what about bringing "water bottles" with rum/vodka in a small carry on ice chest along with regular water bottles, and diet "green tea" with tequilla. some real some "special". we leave on sunday. has anyone done this? do they look that closely or actually open bottles in a small cooler?

On our last cruise, that is exactly what we did. We packed our liquor that came in plastic bottles in our checked luggage. However, the liquor that came in glass (Bacardi, Long Island Mix) we put in water bottles, even glued the seal. DH put a discrete mark on the liquor bottles and just mixed them in with the other water. We even had our cooler taken away (just 1 inch too tall!!!! :mad:) and our bottles weren't a concern.

your cooler was taken away because of its size? the cooler I have is 9 high by 9 wide but 13 long. it says 12 x 12 x 12 is the allowable size. so you think being 1 inch too long would make it not allowable?

in the past, we have actually checked a cooler as luggage. We put our hard liquor into water bottles and then put them in the cooler with "real" water bottles and cokes. Then duct tape the cooler closed, put a tag on it, and checked it. It was delivered no problem.

Has anyone tried this recently? We haven't cruised in close to 3 years and getting ready to go in 49 days, so I just wanted to see if anyone had any recent experiences.

Just a small word of advice, I used to work at a bar where we did flare bartending. We always wrapped the bottles in clear packing tape, it helped give the bottle some extra strength, we could drop those suckers a ton of times even before a crack would form and even then they would never shatter.

Archived