Question About Laptops

AZCAMM

We are going on the Pride October 26th and this will be our 3rd time on the Pride. I've never brought along my laptop before but would like to this time to download photos and videos and maybe send emails.

My question: Do stateroom cabins on the Pride have wireless internet or do we plug in at the Internet Cafe on board? If so, do you know the approx

cost ? Thanks- Azcamm

I'm taking my laptop for the first time in September. I do know that it is "wireless" in the internet cafe and maybe a couple of other places.

If you buy a "package" the cost is a little less per minute. I think the advantage of taking a laptop....besides downloading the pics...will be that you can write your e-mails in your cabin while not on-line and take all the time you need and then go to the wireless area and "send". You won't be using up minutes in the internet cafe.

We are going on the Pride October 26th and this will be our 3rd time on the Pride. I've never brought along my laptop before but would like to this time to download photos and videos and maybe send emails.

My question: Do stateroom cabins on the Pride have wireless internet or do we plug in at the Internet Cafe on board? If so, do you know the approx

cost ? Thanks- Azcamm

Cruises less than six days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)

• 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises six days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)

• 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Wireless Network Cards and Laptop Rental

Guests can rent a Wireless Network Card -- to connect their laptops to the ship's wireless signal -- at the rate or $10.00 per day. Optional insurance can also be purchased for $3.00 per day. These fees are in addition to the Internet price plans. A limited number of laptops are available for guests to rent with a Time Plan purchase for an additional $10.00 per day, with optional insurance is also available for $3.00 per day.

*All internet access charges will be billed directly to the guest's onboard "Sail & Sign" Account. In addition, when using a Café terminal, files can be downloaded as "read only" but cannot be saved, since a floppy disk cannot be inserted into the PC's. Users who bring their own laptop can read and save files without restriction. This should answer all you need , enjoy your cruise .

that's a good idea. I may try that but I will probably just try to download the photos and be done with it. Who wants to be spending time on the computer when you're on a cruise anyway ? !!!!!!!!!!!

If you are downloading pictures off your camera each day to your laptop, spend some time writting up a quick text file of points of the day.

Too often I have a picture of a guide, church, scenic view of a bay but I forgot the name associated with the picture. Does not have to be much, but if for example you see ten diffirent bays from the mountain road in a single day, next week even if you remember the names you will need to pull out a map to get them in the correct order.

Just a suggestion.

I take my Laptop with me on every cruise so I can download my pics and also write my daily live review onboard. The Pride has shipboard WIFI now, the WIFI antennas are located in the hallway so if you have low signal, just move the laptop closer to the door or open the door for better signal. Onboard internet is very slow so you need to have patients for it to catch up. I recommend you write your email out first using Wordpad then log on and do a copy/paste, this will save you time and money. Also once you get onto your main email website like Hotmail or Yahoo etc. just leave that website open so that all that is needed is a quick refresh and you are there. Having to navigate all the way back to those websites will cost you time and money. Disable the Pop-up blocker so that the LOG OFF box will appear. Ensure you log off after each session. I buy the 100 minute plan and that usually last me 6 days of posting on Cruise Critic. Just remember to Pre-write it first on Wordpad, log on Copy/Paste, send and log off. Last, ensure your laptop is a Carry-on item, it will not make it through checked luggage.

Fred

I was glad I brought mine on the last cruise....

Our ship was delayed returning to Ft Lauderdale, and instead of waiting in line to use the ship's computers, we were able to contact Southwest online from our room.

We also use it as a portable DVD player as well, just in case our kids need some quiet time.

Catrin

Ok Wennfred .. just being sure I understand this .. the WIFI is in the hallways so we will have access in the cabin .. although may be a low signal ? Is that right?

Spirit in Oct btw

Ok Wennfred .. just being sure I understand this .. the WIFI is in the hallways so we will have access in the cabin .. although may be a low signal ? Is that right?

Spirit in Oct btw

That is correct, The Valor was the first ship with Bow to Stern WIFI, It was installed throughout the ship, the Spirit Class etc had WIFI retrofitted after. You will see some Phillips white square boxes in the hallway, those are the WIFI antennas.

Fred

Hi Fred,

I have a question for you. If your laptop already has the wireless card built in do you need a special or different network adapter card to use the ships' wireless?

In the pictures that you posted the top one dosen't have a card plugged in, but in the bottom pic it looks like a card is plugged in to the laptop.

Thanks

Guest carlogesualdo
If you are downloading pictures off your camera each day to your laptop, spend some time writing up a quick text file of points of the day.

Too often I have a picture of a guide, church, scenic view of a bay but I forgot the name associated with the picture. Does not have to be much, but if for example you see ten different bays from the mountain road in a single day, next week even if you remember the names you will need to pull out a map to get them in the correct order.

Just a suggestion.

Heck, you should do this regardless. You'll need a reference if you're taking pictures. I made some vague notes for myself on my Palm Pilot, but at times, they weren't quite enough. I had to bring my laptop on that trip because I was about to graduate with my master's degree, but I still had a week to go in my classes. I still had work to do. But I think a cruise ship is a far better place to spend graduation than in stuffy auditorium listening to some boring shirt read name after name after name. So I was perfectly willing to bring along a laptop and do a little bit of coursework.

Of course, if you can avoid bringing the laptop, I would. You'd be better off buying extra memory cards for your camera and video camera if you need to, and sending your e-mail from the ship's internet cafe. Bringing your laptop is just more stuff to lug with you. I'm more than happy to leave mine home this time. I'm bringing my Palm Pilot, since it's attached to my cell phone, and 2 big memory cards.

Hi Fred,

I have a question for you. If your laptop already has the wireless card built in do you need a special or different network adapter card to use the ships' wireless?

In the pictures that you posted the top one dosen't have a card plugged in, but in the bottom pic it looks like a card is plugged in to the laptop.

Thanks

You use your regular wireless card. The same one you use at home or at the WiFi cafe or hotel or whereever.

(All I see in Fred's pics is possibly a power adapter.)

Hi Fred,

Thanks

No special adapters, you use your own WIFI card built into the Laptop, what you see in the Second picture is a 6 GIG Compact Flash Micro-Drive and the Card Reader via the USB port that I download pictures too. That 6 GIG CF Micro-Drive I keep in the Safe just incase the drive in the Laptop goes dead or the Laptop suddently grows legs and walks off.

On our Freedom Cruise I took the Laptop to the Internet Cafe and I was able to Check-in with American Airlines and then print my eTickets with the Internet Cafe printer, no additional charge for printing.

Fred

We are sailing the Miracle on August 13th. Does anyone know if they have WiFi antennas.

This may seem like a dumb question but if you use your laptop in your room and the ship has Wifi, do you still have to pay for an internet plan on board?

We are sailing the Miracle on August 13th. Does anyone know if they have WiFi antennas.

This may seem like a dumb question but if you use your laptop in your room and the ship has Wifi, do you still have to pay for an internet plan on board?

Yes. Price is the same whether you use their computers or yours and no matter where you use yours.

We are planning on taking our laptop on our Alaskan cruise to stay in touch via email with our grown kids so we know everything is o.k. at home. Don't want to use the cellphone because don't like any "surprises" that may come on our bill.

I took my laptop along on my Imagination cruise in Feb. because I had to do something for my job during that week. I could not get a good signal in my cabin. I went up to the Lido restaurant and it worked fine. (plus I could have beverages nearby and I could watch people):cool: I also sent some emails with some pics so everyone at home would be jealous! I bought the 60 minute package, and I had a few minutes left on it. Worked well for me. I'll definitely take it along again!

Archived