Question About Laptops

AZCAMM

I took my laptop on the Victory on 5/26 to Freeport and Nassau. There is WiFi on board, all over the ship but it isn't free and it isn't fast. I paid $24 for one hour, just to check my emails, which I wrote and read offline. I dumped a lot of digital pictures into my laptop, and used the free Picasa 2 program from Google to edit and caption them, and to upload some to my online web album. Uploads were sloooow and frequently unreliable - like dialup. In port in Nassau I found a free WiFi link from the Bahamas Telephone Company, and it was faster and a stronger signal than the ship's. There's no advantage in price or speed in using the cyber cafe unless you need to print.

My pix are at http://americansabroad.blogspot.com

then click on the "Bahamas Cruise" photo.

Just a FYI that the internet on board is slooooooooooow. Like dial-up speed. I don't know how much luck you'll have uploading video's...even pics take quite a bit of time...

:)

UNLESS you are uploading to an online site, photos do not take that long to upload to a PC.

however, in answer to your question, Wireless service is avaiable in all PUBLIC areas. NOT just the internet cafe. It would be nice if all the ships had the wifi avaiable in the cabins.

I take mine to breakfast with me to do my daily emails, then about 4 pm check my email again.

I have never had a problem getting the internet on the ship, except for when windows was crazy and had to install and repair itself, I just use my built in WiFi card on the computer.

There is no need to rent a wifi adaptor unless your laptop is not wireless.

We are going on the Pride October 26th and this will be our 3rd time on the Pride. I've never brought along my laptop before but would like to this time to download photos and videos and maybe send emails.

My question: Do stateroom cabins on the Pride have wireless internet or do we plug in at the Internet Cafe on board? If so, do you know the approx

cost ? Thanks- Azcamm

I've taken my Laptop to dump pictures but never used it for net access. I see there are several posts that have good info that I didn't know. Is the wireless on the new ships and the ones that just came out of drydock?

Archived