lap top on cruise

paulpest

we are going europe on celebrity galaxy,is it worth taking my laptop computer on the cruise.when we were on our last cruise we brought a minute pkg,but was very slow,plus you had to plug into your home page,which took a lot of mimutes.would like feed back.

we are going europe on celebrity galaxy,is it worth taking my laptop computer on the cruise.when we were on our last cruise we brought a minute pkg,but was very slow,plus you had to plug into your home page,which took a lot of mimutes.would like feed back.

if you are flying, leave it at home, it's not worth the extra drama at security , and carrying it, for the sake of a few bucks on the ship.

if you are not flying..well take it.

Depends on how much you will need to access your email. We've taken a laptop on every cruise for the last 4 years or so because it allows us to read and compose email offline which saves us many, many minutes. We are fairly heavy users, though, probably 400-500 minutes on a 14 day cruise so for a more average user, or one who just wants to "check in" then the internet cafe may be the way to go.

Depends on how much you will need to access your email. We've taken a laptop on every cruise for the last 4 years or so because it allows us to read and compose email offline which saves us many, many minutes. We are fairly heavy users, though, probably 400-500 minutes on a 14 day cruise so for a more average user, or one who just wants to "check in" then the internet cafe may be the way to go.

Internet cafes in major ports are only 10-15 cents per minute. Good Luck

What about if Husband wants to use laptop for photo download? That is his plan. What type of hassle at the airports? Haven't heard of that. Thanks.

Not sure what the hassle with the laptop issue is. Taken ours on dozens and dozens of flights, never a problem. It just needs to be out of the laptop bag and usually in its own carrier through the scanner.

A heck of a lot easier than the shoe issue...

We've taken ours on every cruise over the past 3 years - including a cruise in Eurpose with flights into the UK and Spain and a flight out of Venice and then out of the UK. Never an issue. Yes it is more to carry around and does use some of the otherwise available space/weight in your carry-on but that isn't an issue for us.

When we started I needed it for business email and reference info. More recently we use it mostly for going on-line at pre/post cruise hotels and for working with cruise photos - backing up on the ship and sorting though on the flight home.

I have lugged my laptop to Aus and NZ and everywhere in between. I decided when I go in a week and a half I will leave it at home. The main reason I use it is to look at photos, keep a log (journal), etc. It is just kind of heavy for me, and also I have to pack the charger. I feel like hauling the camera, the charger for it, cords, etc. It is too much. I would love to take it though..so I am still kicking it around. However, it would be nice not to lug it.

IF I do take it (and I won't ;) ), I will not haul it around ports like I did before. I used it with skype on the AUS NZ trip to call homes for pennies, and it was nice, but it was a pain to carry after awhile.

Also, I figure I would be having to lug it through Atlanta's airport all day..which is doable. Then I get to Denmark in the morning. I wouldn't want to just leave it until I can check in in the afternoon, so I am carrying it all over Denmark all day. That is probably the big pain I see. Although dealing with shoes, liquids, any sweater, and a computer when you get in line for security isn't a lot of fun either. :-)

IF I do take it (and I won't ;) ), I will not haul it around ports like I did before. I used it with skype on the AUS NZ trip to call homes for pennies, and it was nice, but it was a pain to carry after awhile.

First, is your avatar a bird? It is very colorful.

My wife has recently bought a new laptop. She intends to take it on our Transatlantic from Barcelona to San Juan this November. She has heard of skype, but has no idea how it operates. (I am suspicious of anything with such a name.) Do you have any advice about where to look for more info? Is it just to look on a skype site for details? She is the PC expert these days. I used to write a few programs now and then, but I cannot stand the detail and lack of logic of much of the PC operations now.

Maybe, however, you can help me help her with an answer. Thank you.

Bob :rolleyes:

First, is your avatar a bird? It is very colorful.

My wife has recently bought a new laptop. She intends to take it on our Transatlantic from Barcelona to San Juan this November. She has heard of skype, but has no idea how it operates. (I am suspicious of anything with such a name.) Do you have any advice about where to look for more info? Is it just to look on a skype site for details? She is the PC expert these days. I used to write a few programs now and then, but I cannot stand the detail and lack of logic of much of the PC operations now.

Maybe, however, you can help me help her with an answer. Thank you.

Skype allows you to call others over the internet using your PC, your mobile or a "Skype phone". It requires a broadband connection and is "free" when calling another online skype user. You can also use "Skypeout" which allows you to call regular telephone numbers, but there is a charge for this (very reasonable).

There is a problem when you are roaming overseas though; depending on what your roaming data package costs, you could end up paying significantly more than you would at home to use Skype.

Skype is very popular all over the world. Right now as I type this, there are over 8 million skype users online (and it is the middle of the night in the USA).

I am still unsure if I am taking my laptop with me to Europe. When I was in the USA 2 years ago for 3 weeks (5 nights on a Carnival cruise included), I was hit with a roaming bill for my 3G/HSDPA of $700 !!

Roy

If I leave my laptop is there a place on board to "charge" my USB port "ipod"? Could I use the computers on board to Charge the Ipod if I bring the software? :cool:

Invest in a wall charger, which is small. I had the same issue, as I always charge my iPod on my computer. But, I prefer to leave the laptop home for my next cruise, as it is only a week. So, I got the charger for about $25.

If I leave my laptop is there a place on board to "charge" my USB port "ipod"?

No. Not unless you bring along a charger that plugs into a standard wall electric socket.

Could I use the computers on board to Charge the Ipod if I bring the software? :cool:

No. I seem to recall the onboard computers not having accessible USB ports. I recall having to get one of the staff to hook up my usb memory stick to a different computer to access it. Besides, I don't think you'd want to leave your Ipod in the computer lab nor sit there all the time it is charging.

2 more things...

Skype also allows video calls (need a webcam) but this really uses a lot of bandwidth.

I was told by a computer 'helper' on princess (grand) that the skype ports are blocked on board, primarily due to that bandwidth issue. I also tried using it on Celebrity, and it did not work. I presume for the same reason (skype ports blocked). I didn't bother to ask.

I was told by a computer 'helper' on princess (grand) that the skype ports are blocked on board, primarily due to that bandwidth issue. I also tried using it on Celebrity, and it did not work. I presume for the same reason (skype ports blocked). I didn't bother to ask.

I can confirm that Skype ports are blocked on Celebrity as well. About the only thing open to the Internet is HTTP & HTTPS for normal and secure website browsing.

I can confirm that Skype ports are blocked on Celebrity as well. About the only thing open to the Internet is HTTP & HTTPS for normal and secure website browsing.

I didn't for a minute think that Skype would be available on Celebrity's facilities, but I would like people who may have their laptops with them on a roaming contract to be aware of the huge costs that can be racked up by using excessive bandwith with programs like Skype or YouTube.

I am seriously thinking of doing the internet cafe thing at ports, instead of bringing my laptop. Even if I do bring the laptop, I might leave the 3G/HSDPA card at home.

Roy

with my lap top I can access my bookmarks, (in a hurry)and get to my on-line banking, and credit cards, with no problem. If I use other computers I have to go through all the steps to verify that its really me. I check bank accounts for my husbands construction company everyday and it takes a just few secs with my laptop.

On our Last cruise on the Constellation, I used a little of both the Internet café and my lap top and I found that my lap top was MUCH, much faster.

Thank all of you for the information. We see that skype will not be useful for calls to the States, so our children, grandchildren, and friends will just have to survive without hearing from us while we cruise from Barcelona to San Juan. Well, perhaps we'll still send an e-mail or two.

I am sure we will take the laptop. At a minimum we can listen to and watch a few CD's and DVD's we will carry with us. The last I knew, Celebrity does not have DVD players in CC level cabins.

I believe I have communicated with several of you on a recent, now closed, thread. Good to hear from you again. :D

Bringing your computer on a flight and cruise has impacts.

First, you must confirm, if the cruise lines network will reconize your operating system.

I read an artical that Apple computers are not compatible on Celebrity, yet there onboard system operating there networks are designed by Apple systems.

Second, Nearly all the crew members/staff use computer cafe's at the ports of call, some of the internet operators even have van pict-up for crew members.

Third, The speed of the connection on ship will not increase by using your own computer, remember, your purchase of minutes allow access to the network on board ship.

Forth, Hauling your lap top with you is a hassel, taking it with you at ports of call is a total waste of effort.

Fifth, Unless your making money with your laptop, leave it at home and purchase minutes onboard or use the internet cafe's at ther ports.

First, you must confirm, if the cruise lines network will reconize your operating system.

I read an artical that Apple computers are not compatible on Celebrity, yet there onboard system operating there networks are designed by Apple systems.

Third, The speed of the connection on ship will not increase by using your own computer, remember, your purchase of minutes allow access to the network on board ship.

The problem with Macintosh computers on Celebrity is that the sign-on page is written so it only works with Microsoft Internet Explorer. Mac's haven't had MIE since Microsoft stopped updating it about five years ago. There's an easy way to tell Safari to tell the host it's MIE -- that might get around the problem.

Using your own laptop isn't faster than using the ship's computers, but it sure does cost less. Using my own laptop I was able to sign on, download my email, then sign off. Then I could take my time reading the email and composing replies. Next I'd sign on, send the replies, and sign off. When you use the ship's computer the clock is ticking the entire time. Just a guess, I could accomplish an email session on my laptop using just 3 or 4 minutes, using the ship's computers it would have taken 15 or 20 minutes.

I didn't incur any roaming fees at all when calling from all over NZ and AUS to the U.S. I put maybe $10 on my skype account before leaving, and I talked a lot. I still had money left. I think it was a penny or two a minute to the U.S. because they were not skype users. It was amazing. I used Skype from my computer at the hotel and from internet places.

Yes, that was a bird on my avatar. He..or she.. was in Honduras.

Archived