Just Returned From Alaska/Rhapsody

[quote name='wrp96']Bonnie may you and your MIL be blessed with as good (or better weather) than my Mom and I had at the end of May. If you are, you won't be needing that comforter - and you might be wanting some shorts![/quote]

Amen! :D I will be packed for both extremes just to be safe! :eek:

[quote name='dramaqueen4lyfe'][B][COLOR=blue]Just booked Rhapsody for 2010 Oz and NZ. Any talk about a CL retro fit?[/COLOR][/B][/quote]

There's been rumors about it for a couple of years, but it hasn't happened yet. Supposedly it was supposed to take place before she went to Australia last year - didn't happen. Then it was supposed to take place before she came to Alaska - didn't happen.

Someone has said they were told the remaining Vision class ships are supposed to get CL's eventually but we haven't seen any signs of that actually happening on Rhapsody, Vision, or Grandeur.

[B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Here they are. Had to do some work condensing, came home with over 800 pictures. :o

[url]http://picasaweb.google.com/Tamis[/url]
[/COLOR][/B]
DISREGARD THIS POST. I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS WEBSITE. THE NEXT ONE IS COMPLETE

[B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Here they are. Had to do some work condensing, came home with over 800 pictures. :o

[URL]http://picasaweb.google.com/Tamisarre/SEATTLETOALASKA62670408?authkey=h1CzVDX8Ffs[/URL]
[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='springtxbill']When we got off with the Diamond Priority Departure group there were about 25 taxis in line and about 6 Express Shuttle vans that I saw.:)[/quote]

I am on Rhapsody (our FAVORITE ship) n Aug 22 sailing. Have checked and for 4 of us, Shuttle eXpress is $98 rt & a cab would be $76. Glad to know there were lots of taxis lined up. We also will get priority get off and so hopefully we won't have to wait too long. I think we will probably take a taxi since it is a little cheaper & we wouldn't have to do the drive thru the airport looking for other riders.

QUESTION--will 4 folks & their luggage fit in a taxi?

[B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]One thing I wanted to mention about the cruise, that I had forgotten. I read often on Cruise Critic about guest being bothered by the fact that other guest don't dress for formal nights when they go to the dinning room. I personally was not planning to attend any of the formal evenings on our cruise, simply because I didn't want to be bothered with taking all the extra items that go along with it. The outfit, the shoes, the pantyhose, the jewelry etc... The first evening of the cruise we went to the dinning room and at the end of dinner when Jerome came around to talk to everyone about the next nights menu and to tell us all about formal night we informed him we would not be coming because we elected to not bring formal wear he insisted we come no matter what we wore that formal was only a suggestion not a requirement that we could wear whatever whenever and he would not take no for an answer. It made me think of all the times I've read a post about a guest being upset because fellow passengers were not dressed properly. Did any of these people stop to think that they may have had the experience we had?, and were told to wear whatever. Further more why are so many people on VACATION worried about what other people are wearing to eat? Just something I've always wondered while I was reading.[/COLOR][/B]

I loved your pictures from your cruise. As far as formal night goes. It's your vacation and what you wear to dinner is your choice. I'm glad you had a good time.

Cheers

I am so glad I found this thread as we too are going on the Rhapsody to Alaska next June! There are five of us in two cabins and I am the only one that has been to Alaska before. I love it and would go every year if I could (and if there weren't so many other places to go!) Having been to both Prince Rupert and Victoria, we picked this cruise because of Victoria. I didn't care for PR at all, except for the eagles which were plentiful. Does anyone know what time the Diamond priorities can disembark? I am going to book flights next week sometime. Our Florida weather has been very hot this season and some cool Alaska weather sounds wonderful!

What great pictures, May I ask what kind of camera you have? We are on the Aug. 1 sailing can't wait really getting excited. Also when you went to Mendenhal(sp) did you just take the bus and go on your own? And is there a lot of walking to see all the great sights you saw? One of the people going with us has some knee problems and can't do a lot of up and down walking.

[quote name='lin712']What great pictures, May I ask what kind of camera you have? We are on the Aug. 1 sailing can't wait really getting excited. Also when you went to Mendenhal(sp) did you just take the bus and go on your own? And is there a lot of walking to see all the great sights you saw? One of the people going with us has some knee problems and can't do a lot of up and down walking.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]The camera was a Panasonic TZ4. It has a 10X zoom.
When we went to Mendenhall we did take the tour from the ship. Mendenhall is very close to the visitors center, you would not have to walk far to view it. We chose to walk the path that got us a little closer and at the edge of the water. We did quite a bit of walking all over, but mostly our choice. We walked into Skagway but there is a shuttle that will take you into town. We took the shuttle to Juneau because we were docked the farthest away from town. We paid 3.00 for a round trip ticket. In Prince Rupert we walked the whole way around that place there is uphill walking also. In hind sight we wish we had walked to Cow Bay and then came back for a whale watching tour. Cow Bay is quaint but the downtown area could be skipped with no problem. That would have eliminated 90% of our walking there. Cow Bay is also close to the dock.
[/COLOR]

[quote name='crazy 4 cruising']I am on Rhapsody (our FAVORITE ship) n Aug 22 sailing. Have checked and for 4 of us, Shuttle eXpress is $98 rt & a cab would be $76. Glad to know there were lots of taxis lined up. We also will get priority get off and so hopefully we won't have to wait too long. I think we will probably take a taxi since it is a little cheaper & we wouldn't have to do the drive thru the airport looking for other riders.

QUESTION--will 4 folks & their luggage fit in a taxi?[/quote]

How much luggage will you have? If you only have a little you might fit in the sedan taxis, but if you have a lot then there is no way you will all fit in one taxi.

I had to switch my Alaska cruise to a different week and we ended up changing ships. We are now sailing on Serenade of the Seas out of Vancouver. The cruise itself cost less but the airfare is more, so overall it is an even trade. We did lose our HUGE aft balcony in the switch, so I booked us in a hump cabin instead, which I had always wanted to try just to see how it compares. I've read that for Alaska, a hump balcony is a great way to go! :D Anyway, I have totally enjoyed following this Rhapsody thread and appreciate how excited it has made me to go to Alaska! I think I am even MORE excited to sail on Serenade though. I was just on her over Easter, but we were soooooo busy on that Southern Caribbean itinerary that we never got to explore and enjoy the ship. I suspect the same may hold true with the Alaska itinerary, but at least on the cruising days, I can find some time to finish checking out Serenade! ;)

[quote name='vickiw0318']Anyway to go to Alaska is wonderful. My first cruise there was in an oceanview. Wish you could experience a Rhapsody/Vision corner aft "up close and personal", but a hump cabin on the Serenade sounds very nice.[/quote]

Believe me, I thought hard on this before making the switch. But, I have experienced many corner afts! :D In fact, almost every cruise I've taken has been in a corner aft. Last summer I had 7666 on Enchantment, which is almost identical to the one I just gave up on Rhapsody. So I DO know what I gave up, that is why it was hard to do! :( But....I also know what a lovely ship Serenade is and having a balcony on the starboard hump sailing northbound to Alaska is truly a worthy
exchange! ;)

I'm sort of excited to try a hump cabin! I can't imagine thinking it is as nice as aft, but who knows?! :)

I'm just getting into the joy of corner afts since I've just cruised in three. I do have them booked for all my upcoming cruises though. DH and I both feel like we have our own private area of the cruise ship. It's funny - I kinda thought he was humoring me (since he's nice enough to do that), but it turns out he's just as hooked on them as I am and his verbal huffing and puffing about "you always want some weird cabin" was just for show.

I did promise him a hump cabin as close to the elevators as possible if he evers agrees to a 12 day Brilliance cruise to the Mediterrenean so he wouldn't have to walk after I'd walked him through Europe.

[quote name='vickiw0318']I'm just getting into the joy of corner afts since I've just cruised in three. I do have them booked for all my upcoming cruises though. DH and I both feel like we have our own private area of the cruise ship. It's funny - I kinda thought he was humoring me (since he's nice enough to do that), but it turns out he's just as hooked on them as I am and his verbal huffing and puffing about "you always want some weird cabin" was just for show.

I did promise him a hump cabin as close to the elevators as possible if he evers agrees to a 12 day Brilliance cruise to the Mediterrenean so he wouldn't have to walk after I'd walked him through Europe.[/quote]

I think the hump cabin will work out nice for this Alaska cruise. It will just be myself and my Mother-in-law. If it were my husband and I there is no way I'd give up an aft balcony! ;) But, the hump I've booked is one with an extended balcony, so I do have a larger than usual balcony with the added bonus of being able to see where we are headed, which I usually don't really care about, but for an Alaska cruise I think it may actually be a plus! :D

[quote name='purplehair'][COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic][B]I just returned Friday night from Alaska on Rhapsody of the Seas. We had a wonderful time, the weather was fabulous, cool with lots of sunshine in every port. The ship was great, the food was great and all the ports were great fun also. Stayed very busy and saw a lot. I will answer questions if any one has them. One thing I will comment on was the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers, they were the best I've seen on any of my previous cruises. This crew really has some talent.
We stayed at the Mayflower Park Hotel in Seattle pre cruise. This place is wonderful! The staff is very friendly and accomadating. it's very centrally located we walked everywhere and took the monorail. The hotel is connected to Westlake Center and the monorail station. I would definately stay there again.:D
[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hi So glad I saw your post!!!:D
Booked for our first cruise [U]EVER[/U], sailing 7/25. I hear there are a lot of bugs in Alaska and to make sure we have our bug spray. Did you find bugs were a big problem?
So glad you enjoyed "Rhapsody of the seas" because I understand (now) that [U]all[/U] the ships are different. Did you happen to notice if there were a lot of teens keeping busy on this ship. We have a 15 yo coming along with us. I'm hoping the cruising days will be filled with stuff for everyone. Not just for younger children.
I really don't want to start a hugh discussion on this subject but as far as the MDR [U][B]not[/B][/U] on formal nights did anyone wear jeans?:eek:
(jean another 4 letter word) Our son is growing like a weed so to buy a suit now it's CRAZY

[quote name='Alaskabound725']Hi So glad I saw your post!!!:D
Booked for our first cruise [U]EVER[/U], sailing 7/25. I hear there are a lot of bugs in Alaska and to make sure we have our bug spray. Did you find bugs were a big problem?
So glad you enjoyed "Rhapsody of the seas" because I understand (now) that [U]all[/U] the ships are different. Did you happen to notice if there were a lot of teens keeping busy on this ship. We have a 15 yo coming along with us. I'm hoping the cruising days will be filled with stuff for everyone. Not just for younger children.
I really don't want to start a hugh discussion on this subject but as far as the MDR [U][B]not[/B][/U] on formal nights did anyone wear jeans?:eek:
(jean another 4 letter word) Our son is growing like a weed so to buy a suit now it's CRAZY[/quote]
[B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Bugs were never a problem anywhere but on the jeep tour, and even then not a problem until we stopped on the side of the road to look at the grizzly bear, when we rolled the window down to get the picture the jeep filled up fairly quickly with mosquitos. As soon as we started driving again we got them all out.
There were quite a few kids, young and teenager age on board. I'm sure there are activities for them, I just don't remember anything specific since I'm well beyond that age. Thank goodness!!!
People certainly get their feathers ruffled about dinning room attire. Yes I saw people in the dinning room wearing jeans, and I did not care! I refuse to let what other people wear ruin my vacation. You will notice on the Alaska cruise clothing is much different from Caribbean cruises, much more laid back and relaxed. On formal night there were many people dressed for the occasion and many not. Like Jerome said, it's a suggestion not a requirement.

You are picking a fabulous way to start cruising!!!!!
[/COLOR][/B]

hi to everyone - i was so happy to find this thread and read the good reviews about Rhapsody - i've booked 46 family and friends onto the Rhapsody next april, in the Pacific Islands out of sydney and we've all taken o/v's, so, i'm hoping someone can confirm they're ok

I've only ever sailed balcony before and love them, but, they were over $2000 more on this particular trip (11 nights) so we all opted for the o/v instead.

The Alaskan cruise sounds wonderful- would love to do it one day.

Thank you for your info. I have noticed that some people certainly do get their feathers ruffled. Then again some will always have something to say. I feel the same as you , about others ruining by vacation just because of what others are wearing. As long as it is decent and clean it's not worth my time or energy to fuss about it. I do understand some just can't afford to dress everyone to please others. Also it's so hard to pack for every type of weather. We will be traveling from NY to Cal. to Alaska.
I think I'll bring the skin-so-soft for our horseback riding tour, just in case

[quote name='raringtogo']hi to everyone - i was so happy to find this thread and read the good reviews about Rhapsody - i've booked 46 family and friends onto the Rhapsody next april, in the Pacific Islands out of sydney and we've all taken o/v's, so, i'm hoping someone can confirm they're ok

I've only ever sailed balcony before and love them, but, they were over $2000 more on this particular trip (11 nights) so we all opted for the o/v instead.

The Alaskan cruise sounds wonderful- would love to do it one day.[/quote]

Have done OV & balcony & even iside on Rhapsody. for 2000 difference, the OV will work--at least you can see out!!! I won't say never, but I SERIOUSLY doubt we will ever go inside again, even if we could save 2000!!! OV, I would consider, but we are balcony "snobs" now--just something about hearing the ocean. anyway, Rhapsody is such a fantastic ship & we so miss her in Texas. I will be on her again in alaska in a month & am so lookig forward to it. Have read others post that her crew is still as friendly as they ever were!!!!!

[quote name='Alaskabound725']Hi So glad I saw your post!!!:D
(jean another 4 letter word) Our son is growing like a weed so to buy a suit now it's CRAZY[/quote]

welcome to a wonderful adiction!!!! as far as jeans for your son go, I have seen lots of men wear the "country" tux--starched jeans & tux coat. not saying your son needs to wear a tux coat, but if his jeans are clean and no full of holes &his shirt is presentable, I don't see what would be wrong with that. You are going to read all kinds of opinions on Cruise critic about dress. It is interesting how folks do dress differently on different sailings. Have found that the shorter the cruise, the more casual folks dress.

Good luck & happy sailing

Archived