I have the worst room on the ship! Has this happened to you?

Room discussions are typically about balconies and suites, so I wanted to start this topic...

It was my 1st booking for my 1st cruise...what was I thinking?? I booked the cheapest rate through my discount TA. I have to admit, I expected the worst, but hoped for better.

Well, my docs came last week, and my worst nightmare was confirmed...I have the worst room on the ship!! How can that be? There are only 3 cabins on the bottom deck in my category. I am the one at the front of the ship (no window) - right next to the anchor!

Oh well - you get what you pay for! Hey, look for me onboard...I'll be the sleeping on the lounges.

Well, if you can afford the extra cost, try to upgrade, if possible at the pier. You don't really spend that much time in your cabin anyway...and they'll only be raising and lowering the anchor in ports so it shouldn't cause that much of a problem!

Cindy & Jonathan

Explorer of the Seas 9/21/02

Mariner of the Seas 11/23/03

Enchantment of the Seas 11/22/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;22;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I've had that happen before. We were on the bottom of the ship, and at the very front. It was a bit noisy at times, but the noise from the water hitting against the boat actually helped us sleep. You are in your room so little, it's not that big of a deal. That cruise happened to be the best one we've been on. Think positive and enjoy your cruise. I haven't been on a bad one yet, regardless of the cabin.

When you pay the cheapest rate...what do you expect? Attitude has everything to do with how much fun you will have on your cruise. Don't sweat the small stuff and have a great time. You will spend so little time in your cabin...you will realize it is no big deal!!! Just relax and enjoy.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02

Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03

Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03

Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03

Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

what ship are you traveling on? we found the price of upgrades on the Voyager were extremely reasonable - we paid $60pp to upgrade from a window to a balcony.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;16;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Voyager of the Seas

Tahitian Princess - 10/03 (Our Honeymoon)

Carnival Paradise - 08/02

I may be wrong, but I don't think they lower the anchor except at ports where they tender. Other than that, I think you'll have such a good time that you won't be in your cabin very much. Enjoy your 1st cruise. You'll love it!

Majesty of the Seas 06/01

Monarch of the Seas 06/02

Explorer of the Seas 05/03

Navigator of the Seas 06/05/04

We booked a 10 day cruise in 2002 on the Galaxy out of Baltimore. We were on the Penthouse deck. We had a really bad room....

1) Adjoined to another room with 2 girls in their 20's. They came back to their room every night after partying and you could hear every word they said. They were very loud!

2) Room was directly under the kitchens for the buffet. They would start preparing food about 3AM every morning. The carts rolling across the floor would wake us up! (We had already been awoken an hour or two earlier from the girls next door.

3) Room reeked of Cigarette smoke. Even though my husband is a smoker he could not stand the smell.

However, we made the best of things and still had a wonderful trip!

Grandeur of the Seas-September 4, 2004

Galaxy-June 7, 2002

Fascination-March 17, 2001

From what I heard, the lower you are, the less rocking and motion you will experience. If you party late, you can sleep in and not worry about the daylight waking you up because of the darkness from having no windows. The money you save on your cruise-fare will allow you to buy other stuff - hey, the food isn't any worse for inside cabin people....just looking on the bright side of things. Have fun!!!!!!

Plus, you won't have the worst cabin on the ship, I think the crew will have it worse than you!

Carnival _______ 11/04 - Haven't decided on a ship yet!!!!!!

Carnival Legend 2/03 ( had to cancel at last minute)

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

That is why I pick my rooms. I always look at the deck plan and know where all the good rooms are. Of course you can not do something about noisy nitetime neighbors. But ear plugs are helpful.

I am annoyed by the noisy ones that get up too early and then do not resect the rights of those who do chose to sleelp a little later. It works both ways you know!

My vacation picshttp://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

You may feel a little better after hearing my "guarantee" story:

It was only my second cruise, and my first in 10 years. I was traveling single with a group of couples, sailing out of San Juan. A single guarantee was booked on my behalf.

When my tickets arrived, they indeed had a cabin assignment, and I excitedly grabbed the brochure to find my cabin in the deck plan.

OK, I was in the lowest cabin category, one of 6 such cabins.

Of the 6 cabins, 3 were bordered by a stairwell on one side.

2 were bordered by a stairwell one side and an elevator on another side.

And 1 was bordered by a stairwell on one side, an elevator on another, and the childrens playroom on a third side! Guess which one I had?

I literally had the worst cabin on the ship!

Naturally the ship was sold out and no requests for cabin changes could be entertained.

So how did the cruise turn out? Fantastic! The cruise was in late April, so there were no kids (not that there's anything wrong with them), the stairwells and elevator were not a factor, and I met a bunch of other singles and had a blast!

Tim and Joann

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;22;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess

Don't feel bad.

I always pay for a midship upper deck suite. I have the luck of getting crying babys on the balcony beside me and the woffing oderiferous smells that naturally come with them.

(I wished I was sleeping in the bilge during some of these finer moments) icon_wink.gif

Have fun and enjoy icon_smile.gif

My last cruise I was on the lowest deck with passenger cabins...not a problem...you will have a wonderful time regardless of what cabin you are in. I'm leaving next week and, again, lowest possible deck...at the tip of the ship...but I do have a porthole icon_wink.gif. I've been trying to upgrade to a balcony for months...it just isn't meant to be. The upside...is all the money I'm saving by not upgrading to a balcony...will be a ton of fun to spend!!! Pina Colatas galore!!!

Point being...don't worry...you'll have a blast!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;4;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until my Majesty of the Seas cruise!

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

I had a room like that on SOS once bottom deck 2nd form fornt but it had a porthole!!! could not see outthe porthole because of huge space between wall and porthole but there was light!!! But i will warn you when we were entering and leaving port it was noisy and everymornignwe made it to port weather it was an anchor or ropes to dock we got the 30 minutes of ROLLING AND GINDING AND CLANKING AND WHIZIINGand thisusuallyhappened at 5 in the morning!!! but hey it was an expperience I have never been ROLLED out of bed before as we were the first morning on that cruise live and learna dn just enjoy you may have a cute stpory to tell when you get back!!

Don't be too concerned, as other people have said, you will spend very little time in your cabin. Unless you book one of the top cabin categories all cabins are basically small and uncomfortable. If you are like most people you will just use your cabin for sleeping, bathing and changing clothes as there is little else to do inthe cabin. There is an advantage to being on a lower deck. When the ship is in port the gangway is usually on a lower deck so you can walk right on and off the ship. Everyone else will be clustered around the elevators trying to get back to their cabins on the higher decks.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

I remember my very first cruise in 1985, on a Carnival ship called the Carnivale (sp?). We were at the very bottom of the ship, inside room, and the first two days we kept getting lost getting to and going back to our room, it was like a maze!! The bathroom was so small that when you took at shower, the entire bathroom got wet. I could hear every word the neighbors said, and when lying down in bed I could hear people walking behind the wall back there right by my head (I think it was a crew area).

Even with a lousy room like that, I absolutely loved the cruise and didn't put a damper on it at all.

Sherri

Splendour of the Seas 4/12/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by babykates:

Room discussions are typically about balconies and suites, so I wanted to start this topic...

It was my 1st booking for my 1st cruise...what was I thinking?? I booked the cheapest rate through my discount TA. I have to admit, I expected the worst, but hoped for better.

Well, my docs came last week, and my worst nightmare was confirmed...I have the worst room on the ship!! How can that be? There are only 3 cabins on the bottom deck in my category. I am the one at the front of the ship (no window) - right next to the anchor!

Oh well - you get what you pay for! Hey, look for me onboard...I'll be the sleeping on the lounges.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that rooms so awful, tell you what. I'll trade places with you for a week. I'll go on the cruise and you can sit in my office and work. (Betcha don't take that trade since any day at sea is better than a day at work.)

Have a great time.

Galaxy 6/03, Carnival Pride 7/02, Voyager of the Seas 7/01, Grandeur of the Seas 07/00, Enchantment of the Seas 06/99, Carnival Destiny 7/98, Grandeur of the Seas 7/97, Sensation 6/96, Imagination 8/95, Carnivale 7/90, Festivale 7/89, Seaward (Norweigan Sea) 7/88, Carnivale 9/86

Next up, the Mariner 6/04.

I must say I cruise frequently b/c I usually book the

cheapest rate thru a discount TA. The trick is to book a cabin in a quiet location. I might add I got a good and cheap cabin booking thru

RC for a cruise next month. And it's

so true, you may have a potentially undesirable cabin that turns out to just fine and you have

a trip that rates among the most memorable. Hope that's the case for you. CSW

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by superjerryw:

Don't be too concerned, as other people have said, you will spend very little time in your cabin. Unless you book one of the top cabin categories all cabins are basically small and uncomfortable. If you are like most people you will just use your cabin for sleeping, bathing and changing clothes as there is little else to do inthe cabin. There is an advantage to being on a lower deck. When the ship is in port the gangway is usually on a lower deck so you can walk right on and off the ship. Everyone else will be clustered around the elevators trying to get back to their cabins on the higher decks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh Jerry, ah hum (said blushing)

Galaxy 6/03, Carnival Pride 7/02, Voyager of the Seas 7/01, Grandeur of the Seas 07/00, Enchantment of the Seas 06/99, Carnival Destiny 7/98, Grandeur of the Seas 7/97, Sensation 6/96, Imagination 8/95, Carnivale 7/90, Festivale 7/89, Seaward (Norweigan Sea) 7/88, Carnivale 9/86

Next up, the Mariner 6/04.

Don't be concerned about the cabin. I actually like inside cabins on the lower decks. They upgraded us last time to a cabin on deck 8, and I didn't like it as much as being on the lower decks. The past several cruises, we've been in the front of the ship. Can't say that the anchor noise was a big problem.

We are really addicted to cruising so paying less for a cabin and cruising more is fine with us.

Have a great time!

We took a tiny inside cabin many years ago on the Nordic Prince. It was the last available - or so I was told. I was disapointed when I saw the room, but had a such a great cruise that after a day or two, it didn't matter any more.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

Thanks guys...your advice and outlook are fun, and your comments and stories make me laugh!! And I'm no longer as apprehensive about the room!

It'll take A LOT to ruin the cruise...my husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary, and a 7 day break from our 3 young children! (Of course that means we might be spending more time than normal in the room...oh well!)

icon_razz.gif

Like everybody is saying, all you do is sleep, shower and _____ in your room. You'll have a great time so don't worry and just plan on fun.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;21;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sovereign of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;24;22;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Adventure of the Seas

On our last cruise, the cabin steward mentioned that a kid in the next cabin had wet his bed. I'd say that cabin probably became the worst room on the ship. Yuck!

Archived