Concierge Class

bmw2000

Hi all,

Is concierge class worth the extra dollars? Also since CC cabins are higher up in the ship (Penthouse Deck on Galaxy) do you feel the movement more? Is it a bad choice for people prone to sea sickness? Also are veranda cabins safe for small children? Our daughter will be 3.

Bianca

It's hard to say if it's worth it. You don't mention how much more it is costing you. On the class of ship you are sailing, the CC cabins are no larger than the standard verandah cabins, so no benefit there (M-class ships have larger CC cabins). As far as sailing with a 3-year-old in a balcony cabin, I don't see a problem with it. As long as you don't ever let her out on the balcony unattended. The only way she could fall overboard (God forbid) would be if she climbed onto a chair and even then she'd probably be too short to reach the top of the railing. My sister has sailed with her twins since they were about that age and has always had balcony cabins with no problems.

"Worth it" is always a relative term so there is no answer that fits everyone. Some people think anything other than an inside room is a waste of money. Others wouldn't think twice about booking a suite and wouldn't want anything less. My advice when considering a nicer room is that if the upgraded room will require you to shortchange other areas of your cruise (like shore excursions, drinking at the bar, etc) or otherwise be a hardship then stick with the lesser room. If it isn't a big deal and there is something you like about it - then take the nicer room.

With that said - we almost always sail in a CC room based on location, size and amenities. On the M-Class ships the CC rooms are larger and in the better locations - although some prefer other locations. On the Galaxy there are 4 nice CC rooms with larger balconies on deck 12 - but I think all others are identical in size (inside and balcony) to standard balcony rooms. So if the location doesn't make a big difference to you and if the price difference is big then it might not make sense to go for the CC just for the small difference in room amenities.

If one is prone to sea sickness the best location is low and towards the center of the ship. But we often choose cabins that are aft and/or higher up as they have a nice view. We enjoy the motion if it isn't too rough. Also - the higher up cabins will be closer to the upper decks so the stairs are more practical when running to/from the pool - if that is important to you.

I assume you've seen the amenities you get with CC. We've gone with CC, especially on the M-Class because the rooms and verandas are larger. I agree that it depends on cost differences: We added CC on our next Infinity Cruise (and Solstice) because the difference was about $100pp. Another cruise we upgraded was about $200pp added. We enjoyed the additions, but the daily snacks and fruit wasn't really needed much since eating wasn't something we needed to add to outside dining times! But it did seem like we got special service at the bars and cafes with our CC card - very subjective, but I think it occured. Our special area was the Cova Cafe; we'd get special snacks brought with our coffees and drinks, and they make sure we were always waited on. But then again, Celebrity is well known for it's great service and attention to detail.

Is it worth it? Is to us when it's not a major increase (another subjective), and well worth it on an M-Class.

Concierge Class Indulgences:

• Welcome champagne

• Daily fruit selection

• Fresh-cut flowers

• Daily hors d'oeuvres

• Pillow Menu - Conformance, Body,Goose, and Isotonic®

• Duvets and pillow-top mattresses

• Leather key holder, personalized stationery and a tote bag

• Frette bathrobes

• Hansgrohe® showerhead

• VIP invitations to events

• Early embarkation and debarkation

• Early embarkation and debarkation

• Dining and seating preference

• Preference on shore excursions

• Express luggage delivery

• Shoeshine service

Denny

Thanks for the info. I think it's quite a price jump for us since we were going to do just plain oceanview (no balcony). It's $600 more per person. The amenities sound nice, but not must-haves per se. I hardly think we'll need extra food given how much we were fed on our last cruise. :)

I am concerned about the sea sickness because we are doing a transatlantic cruise. We haven't been able to get cabins together (we need two cabins) so one is #5014 and the other is #4005. Has anyone been in these? Do you feel the motion a great deal? Any advice appreciated.

Bianca

When the OP said the price difference was $600pp, they were comparing an Oceanview with a CC room. Most CC's are $100/$200 more than a Balcony. I just checked a few Caribbean cruises (one 11 day and a few 7-day) and the difference between a 2C (balcony) and a C1 or CC was $100pp on one cruise and $170pp on another.

The trouble with balcony and CC is, once you've gone to a balcony, you don't go back! We usually had Oceanview until we took a 11 day S Caribbean cruise and they offered us a balcony for only a $150pp more so we took it - thought it would be nice for a longer cruise. We were right - loved it! We always go Balcony unless there is a very specific reason (old ship with few balconies that cost much more!). I love breakfast on the veranda, watching the flying fish, passing ships and identifying the seabirds that trail the ship. Also, it takes my wife a few more minutes (right!) to get ready, so instead of 'helping' her, I sit on the balcony and enjoy. It's also VERY nice a night listening to the sea and smelling the fresh seaair!

Denny

Thanks for the info. I think it's quite a price jump for us since we were going to do just plain oceanview (no balcony). It's $600 more per person. The amenities sound nice, but not must-haves per se. I hardly think we'll need extra food given how much we were fed on our last cruise. :)

I am concerned about the sea sickness because we are doing a transatlantic cruise. We haven't been able to get cabins together (we need two cabins) so one is #5014 and the other is #4005. Has anyone been in these? Do you feel the motion a great deal? Any advice appreciated.

Bianca

You mention you are traveling on a Transatlantic cruise, so I'm guessing it's approx. 2 weeks in duration. Given that amount of time, I'd go with at least a balcony cabin, maybe not a CC, but at least a balcony. You mention you are traveling with a 3-year-old. That may inhibit the amount of time you can get out and about. You may really want that balcony so you can spend some time out there while your child is napping or if she goes to bed early at night. Otherwise, you may feel claustrophobic in an oceanview for that many days.

Hi Caribbeanqueen,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the only balcony staterooms left appear to be concierge. Is that normal for a transatlantic cruise? I was kind of surprised they booked up so far in advance (6 months or more). Do balcony staterooms ever become available closer to cruise time? How can I track this?

My mom is travelling with us so we're taking turns looking after our daughter as we do at home. She usually only has one nap in the afternoon (and we usually nap with her if we can, so that wouldn't be an issue - especially for my hubby! :)).

Bianca

Bianca:

Which sailing will you be on? If you're on the Galaxy's December crossing, you're right, there are no more balcony cabins available other than CC ones. But, considering the time of year, you may not want/need a balcony as it may be too cool to enjoy.

If you are on a different sailing, you may be able to check cabin availability by using Travelocity to search. Here's a link that may help:

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/SearchByCruiseLine.do?Service=TRAVELOCITY#Celebrity%20Cruises

HTH,

Ellen

and I'm not sure it is worth the extra dollars...but...I would not go on any cruise without a balcony...for me...the fresh air..the opportunity to have the light from outside ...and the chance to sit outside and view the world go by is worth it...

I'm really not sure the CC class is worth it... I'm not sure you receive that much "extra" ..but if that was the only way I could go on a cruise that I really wanted to do...then I would book that class, because I won't go if I don't have a balcony. It's not just for the above reasons...but I also can't be in enclosed spaces... (great excuse, right?) :rolleyes: LuAnn

I just came back from a 7-day Alaska cruise (Mercury, June 29th sailing), and we had a CC cabin (1087). The cruise was great, but to be honest, I was surprised at how small these cabins were -- it was barely possible to get around the bed if it was made up as a queen-size. However, it was the first time I'd ever had a balcony, and that was very nice.

I think next time I will either go for an outside or verandah cabin, or for a sky suite. The CC is more expensive than the first two, with few extra amenities that I use and the cabin is no bigger. (Those who mentioned that the hors d'oeuvres were nothing much were right on!) The Sky Suite would be larger, also with a balcony, which is what I really wanted.

I did note, however, something that might be important to a parent with small children -- the balcony door has a child-proof latch high up on the door, so that little ones cannot accidentally open the door. I thought that was a very good idea!

Is it REALLY worth it? Probably not. The thing I like about it is that it gives me double credits! Atthe end of the year I will have eight =X= credits from 5 cruises! I just hope elite status will be worth it.

Is it REALLY worth it? Probably not. The thing I like about it is that it gives me double credits! Atthe end of the year I will have eight =X= credits from 5 cruises! I just hope elite status will be worth it.

At the end of our next cruise we'll have 5 credits, ...from 2 cruises..2 14 day plus one in CC (but that doesn't give us elite yet)

The OP said there is a $600 difference between a CC and a standard Ocean view cabin, that is a hefty sum. I would look at the price of the least expensive 2A, 2B or 2C cat balcony cabin. With a 3 year old she can take a nap in the room and the adults can sit on their balcony. I personally do not think CC cabins are worth the extra cost vs the amenities they promise but not always receive aboard ship. For a long TA cruise I would think the extra living space on the balcony and in the cabin would be much appreciated.

Hi all,

Is concierge class worth the extra dollars? Also since CC cabins are higher up in the ship (Penthouse Deck on Galaxy) do you feel the movement more? Is it a bad choice for people prone to sea sickness? Also are veranda cabins safe for small children? Our daughter will be 3.

Bianca

I think is about how much you will pay, if is 150 or less is very good, but if is like 200-300 you need to think it, and more of 400 bad idea.

I do not think that Concierge Class is worth it over a regular balcony. On NCL, where our concierge was invaluable in making restaurant reservations that we would have otherwise been unable to make, it was worth it to have his assistance. The extra appetizers you get around 4 each day you can get yourselves upstairs (we regularly raided the 5pm sushi bar and brought it down to our cabin). And regular class cabins got bathrobes, just not big heavy ones (which we don't like much anyway).

As to the difference between Oceanview versus balcony, I would have to admit that sitting outside for breakfast in the morning is great. We always had a balcony on Disney too. But then these were all winter Caribbean cruises where getting outside in the warmth and sunshine were important. However on an upcoming cruise with Oceania we are opting for our first Inside cabin because it is very expensive and the cruise is so port intensive that I doubt we will spend much time in our cabin at all. The money saved will be spent on excursions, etc.

Archived