What's the Point of Formal Nights???

magictam

This was question was asked on onther thread, but since my up coming cruise is on Carnival I thought I would ask here. What's the whole point of "formal" night????

I don't have a history of cruising so I don't have much to base my experience on, but I really didn't find it any different than any other night. We sat in the same location with the same people as before. Nothing spectular happened during dinner. The menue is basically the same (expect many lobster is only offered on formal nights). I'm not a lobster person (though DH is) so I don't care when it's served. No special shows or events after dinner to attend. In fact I noticed many people changed after dinner.

I'm not saying cruise ships should do away with formal nights, but maybe offer another venue (besides the lido deck) for those who don't want to dress up. I enjoy the dining experience way more than a buffet but on my next cruise I probably will forgo formal nights. What other dining options will I have on the Glory if I chose not to attend formal nights?

I do respect the guidelines the cruise lines ask people to follow on formal nights and wouldn't think of showing up in casual clothing during formal nights. I hope others would respect this too.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I think for many of us, it is tradition.

We always viewed formal night as part of the total cruise experience. Our first cruise was our honeymoon, and it was wonderful to get all dressed up, have coctails, go dancing, walk the lido deck all dressed up.

Fifteen years later, as we all know, it is just not the same. But it is still a part of cruising that many do love.

You can always eat at the Lido Deck Buffet, as many do on formal night. Let those who want to continue the tradition do so. Don't take it away!

Maybe in the future they will offer this choice - you never know.

Catrin

From what I saw on our first cruise we just got off of "PICTURES" is what formal night is all about, lol... And that is about it!!

I had fun dressing up and all but really it is all about the pictures.

Danielle

But there ARE special events on formal nights such as the captain's cocktail reception and usually one of the bigger song and dance shows.

And the dining room IS normally different usually with lowered blinds and sometime a tall taper candle lit on the table.

On many cruises I have been on, menu IS presented differently - on Costa in Dec it was on a parchment paper rolled and tied with a ribbon.

The wait staff is dressed in their best on formal night too and I often feel like they carry themselves differently on those nights. On some cruises I have taken everyone got a glass of champagne to share a toast with the Captain in the dining room on one of the formal nights.

Am I the only person who notices these things on cruises or am I imagining things?

If you don't like the lido deck buffet, there's always the grill for hotdogs, hamburgers, fries with chili & cheese, pizza, and not just pizza they also have calzones and serve ceasar salad as well, 24 hour room service, fish & chips, the sushi bar, the sandwich station, they have reubens, turkey wraps, grilled ham & cheese, etc. (there's always something somewhere.) :) For us it seems nostalgic in a way, I mean, in the older movies, you always saw the people "dressed up" for dinner, only back then, I think some lines did that every night. So why not 1 night a week to remind us of tradition? We always get all dressed up, go to the captain's cocktail party before dinner, then go to dinner. Sometimes we go up & change, sometimes, we roam around in our formal wear. It's one of those things that some like, some don't. We like it, and despite them changing the name to elegant night and not requiring everyone to wear formal wear, (now you see a lot of cocktail dresses, and dresses one would wear to church) we'll still be wearing ours. It's the only chance we get to be dressed to the 9's and having someone else take care of us for a change. To us, it's just part of the cruise experience.

does the Captain, and all the staff presented at the welcome party STILL..dress in their formal attire..hummmm, now there 's a thought to ponder..no shorts for them on stage, that I've seen..hats either :confused: :rolleyes:

Remember the OLD movies about transatlantic cruises? EVERY night was formal night, because that was what folks did back then. Of course times change, and people change, and the 'romantic era' is long gone for most.

I think the lines since those times have tried to have at least a semblance of formality, and set aside one evening on each cruise for us to dress and become part of the old tradition.

Personally, I like formal/elegant night, and enjoy dressing for the occasion. Unfortunately, in the not-so-distant future, anything at all will be allowed on that evening.:rolleyes:

There's always something in the Capers about dressing for and enjoying the Captain's Gala Evening - which begins w/meeting the captain for the cocktail party, and the officers of the ship being introduced. Then there's dinner, and afterwards (always) one of the big production shows. A lovely evening on any cruise.:)

I agree with another post. It's more of a tradition then anything else. My DW always like me in a suit and that is about the only time she gets to see me in one. Okay, I guess I can do that for two nights for her.

It's also a good night for us as a family to have a nice picture taken for the wall at home.

There is a special atmosphere on those nights that is kind of cool.

How will the charge for extra bags on airlines effect this?Maybe 2 extra bags at $50 per might give some a little food for thought.

If anything, it will make folks dress BETTER....khakis weigh a lot less than jeans!

Even though we're getting off of the subject, we have started packing all of our stuff in 1 suitcase then pack formal wear for both of us in a garment bag, so we're still at 1 bag each, with no extra charges (for now). I will always go for formal night as long as it's there, I like to dress up, I never get to do it at home:) If I ever get tired of it (which I doubt), I can always grab a bite from somewhere else on the ship, nothing like a BLT from room service.:)

I do like formal nights, and I do dislike it when people show up deliberately wearing informal clothing. I mean, if you don't want to dress up, then eat somewhere else. No problem.

Shay

Even though we're getting off of the subject, we have started packing all of our stuff in 1 suitcase then pack formal wear for both of us in a garment bag, so we're still at 1 bag each, with no extra charges (for now). I will always go for formal night as long as it's there, I like to dress up, I never get to do it at home:) If I ever get tired of it (which I doubt), I can always grab a bite from somewhere else on the ship, nothing like a BLT from room service.:)

They are good aren't they. You are making me crave one right now!

Gee..thanks...now I need a cruise!!!

After all these years, it is easy to "forget" that newbie feeling.

So we dress (not only because it is good manners) but because I would not want to do anything to detract from their "experience".

Just because the price of a Carnival cruise is inexpensive....does not mean people have to turn it into something CHEAP!

In my line of work, I'm either dirty or clothes more paint splattered. Formal night on a cruise lets me look and feel civilized for a while. No problem with my jobs, just like to look nice for a special night with my DW of 39 years.

I love dressing up for formal night.... I love seeing everyone dressed elegantly!!!! It really reminds me of the old days....watching all the old movies...and I am 28 years old.... I love that era when they did dress up every day on the cruises. Plus I am a people watcher...so I love seeing what everyone has on. :D

A woman's little black dress doesnt take up much space but a man's suit with size 11 shoes does. I also have a 15 yr old ds and a 9 yr old ds.

I took a rolling garment bag this past cruise with just formal night stuff. We drove.

I dress up every day for work. I just like to lay back on vacation. I would prefer no formal night.

A woman's little black dress doesnt take up much space but a man's suit with size 11 shoes does. I also have a 15 yr old ds and a 9 yr old ds.

I took a rolling garment bag this past cruise with just formal night stuff. We drove.

I dress up every day for work. I just like to lay back on vacation. I would prefer no formal night.

But there are cruise lines and other all inclusive vacations that would allow you to do that - opt out of dressing for dinner but still have multiple dining options (NCL and Princess spring to mind).

If people on traditional lines like Carnival or RC like to dress for dinner and put on the ritz then why harsh their mellow by not dressing as requested?

As far as packing and baggage restrictions perhaps learn to pack lighter/better. We leave Friday for 10 days away from home and I have me, DH and DD 9 packed in one large (26") rolling, one small (21") rolling and one cosmetic case. And DD and I are "girlie" girls!

The 10 days includes Disney, a shortie cruise and baton twirling Nationals in Daytona which means I am also bringing costumes, practice wear, makeup, batons and all the other stuff that goes with her sport. The costumes will go in a VB/cloth bag that I will carry on (CAN'T lose those!!!). Will also check baton case but worst case we can buy new in Daytona if they get lost. So 3 people, 4 checked bags and two are very small. DH will wear a suit for the one formal night.

I thought this thread was not about whether or not you want to or do dress for dinner - it is about the point of formal/elegant night and what are the special things that are done...

I certainly didn't want to heat anyone with this topic, but was wondering why there are formal nights.

I totally understand how special people feel about dressing up and want to continue to do so. I have no problem with that. I have no problem with formal nights. Just wondering why.

Thanks for the suggestions that a little black dress doesn't take up much room. But when you're a plus size woman you'ld be suprised how much a "little" black dress can take up. Also thanks for the suggestion that those who don't like formal nite go else where. I think it's ok not to like formal night and still like Carnival.

I hope everyone enjoys their cruise whether they participate in formal nite or not.

I certainly didn't want to heat anyone with this topic, but was wondering why there are formal nights.

I totally understand how special people feel about dressing up and want to continue to do so. I have no problem with that. I have no problem with formal nights. Just wondering why.

Thanks for the suggestions that a little black dress doesn't take up much room. But when you're a plus size woman you'ld be suprised how much a "little" black dress can take up. Also thanks for the suggestion that those who don't like formal nite go else where. I think it's ok not to like formal night and still like Carnival.

I hope everyone enjoys their cruise whether they participate in formal nite or not.

I think that pictures and tradition are the only reason that formal night still exists. Since carnival has changed the suggested dress for the night that is no longer called formal night IMO opinion you are going to start seeing a lot of men without jackets, much less suits or tuxes, and you will probably within a year see over half with nice polo shirts and kakahis and that is in the main dining room. Like it or not I suspect that based on comment cards that that is what more and more passengers want.

In my line of work, I'm either dirty or clothes more paint splattered. Formal night on a cruise lets me look and feel civilized for a while. No problem with my jobs, just like to look nice for a special night with my DW of 39 years.

That may be fine for you...but my wife and I both wear a suit every day. On vacation...getting dressed up is the LAST thing I want to do.

Wearing a polo and Dockers is a bit of escapism for me!

A few in this thread think it appropriate that we should be forced to the lido...that is just stunning.

I'm Really looking foward to dressing up.

How often do people really get to dress up

What you wear to work dosn't count that not evening wear.

this is my first time for a cruise my daughter and i argoing 8/24/08 can't wait:)

The first formal night is the evening the Captain, Officers and Staff welcome everyone onboard and to introduce his Staff. They are, as good hosts do, dressed in their "dress white" uniforms - their finest. They do this to put their best face forward to those of us who have chosen to cruise. It is a festive evening starting with the Cocktail Reception, where one may meet and shake hands with the Captain and other of his Staff. It is good manner when invited to such a formal and fun event to dress appropriately. So, most people put on their finest to match their hosts.

The last formal night used to be called the "Gala Farewell Dinner". Not quite as formal as the first, but very nice. This was the evening when several passengers were usually invited to dine at the Captain's table and, in some cases, Officers would spread out around the dining room, sitting at tables with the guests. Most people dress for this occasion. Those who have been invited to the Captain's table are expected to dress formally - and it is written on the invitation.

A cruise is a special sort of vacation. It is a chance to remove yourself from the day-to-day grind, to experience different ports, enjoy life at sea, meet new people. The formal nights add to the festivities. You are experiencing something you probably don't do at home very often. It's a fun time.

I'm Really looking foward to dressing up.

How often do people really get to dress up

What you wear to work dosn't count that not evening wear.

this is my first time for a cruise my daughter and i argoing 8/24/08 can't wait:)

Sorry, but for a lot of men , unless we put on a Tux, what we wear to work is dressed up. Kind of hard for men to get much more than the suit and tie with the white shirt and cuff links unless it is a tux. (Quiet a few men have to wear that to work every day). Dressing up on a cruise for those that have to do that is no fun and is nothing special.

The first formal night is the evening the Captain' date=' Officers and Staff welcome everyone onboard and to introduce his Staff. They are, as good hosts do, dressed in their "dress white" uniforms - their finest. They do this to put their best face forward to those of us who have chosen to cruise. It is a festive evening starting with the Cocktail Reception, where one may meet and shake hands with the Captain and other of his Staff. It is good manner when invited to such a formal and fun event to dress appropriately. So, most people put on their finest to match their hosts.

The last formal night used to be called the "Gala Farewell Dinner". Not quite as formal as the first, but very nice. This was the evening when several passengers were usually invited to dine at the Captain's table and, in some cases, Officers would spread out around the dining room, sitting at tables with the guests. Most people dress for this occasion. Those who have been invited to the Captain's table are expected to dress formally - and it is written on the invitation.

A cruise is a special sort of vacation. It is a chance to remove yourself from the day-to-day grind, to experience different ports, enjoy life at sea, meet new people. The formal nights add to the festivities. You are experiencing something you probably don't do at home very often. It's a fun time.[/quote']

Thank goodness carnival has seen fit to make this optional and still allows you to enjoy the dining room. No more suits for the men just a shirt tie and blazer.

Archived