$25 a person sounds like a lot for just food

Chops is really a fine dining restaurant, and quite a few steps above the dining room on the ship. The ambiance and the food would cost you quite a bit more if you went to the same type of establishment in any big city.:D :D

The cost for Chops is $25 per person (Portofino's is $20 per person).

The food and service is great, was on the Mariner in May. Have a great cruise!!

I never remember which is which so for ships that have both, go to both and then you pay 22.50$ pp each restaurant.:D;)

Don't forget that you will also pay extra for beverages,wines..drinks...etc.

The last time we dined there the table near us got their bill and they were incredulous about the "extra" charges.:rolleyes:

We paid $20 per person at Chops on the Serenade (November, 2007).

Chops is an upscale steakhouse. You would easily pay more than $20/$25 a person for the same meal at a land based restaurant.

For us, the extra cost was definitely worth it.

July 3 was DH & my 25th anniversary. We decided to go to a very upscale steak place. Everything was ala cart even the side dishes. The steak came with nothing and it was $35.

The filet was tasteless and dried out. I sent it back and got shrimp. DH had tuna and we had 2 sides to share and 1 appetizer-no dessert, no beverages (just tap water). The bill was $87:eek: .

Most of our conversation was about how it didn't compare to the food at Chops and how Chops and Portofinos was so worth the money:D I am longing for Chops or Portofinos and have to wait almost a year!

I could not understand this until I checked your profile and saw that you are a teenager. As you go on in life and start paying for things on your own, you will learn how much things really cost. You might even appreciate your parents, who knows? :D

We just got off the Mariner and along with the ice show, Chops was the highlight of our cruise. Everything about Chops was WONDERFUL! IMO it was an experience not just a meal. We were very tempted to try it again.

One of the very best memories I have from the Jewel cruise we went on in March, 2007 is of Chops. It really was phenomenally good.

I lived in Manhattan at the time of the cruise, and a similar dinner -- with soup and meat and desserts and more side dishes than we could eat -- would easily have cost $100 at a similar-quality restaurant on land. The $40 we paid (plus $6 for my wine) was a great deal in comparison!

In fact, we're planning to go back, even for the extra $5 each, when we go on our Serenade cruise in December. :)

Recently ate at both Chops and Portifinos. While Portifinos was ok, Chops was really fantastic! I have never had a bad time or meal in that restaurant. The food was wonderful, service was wonderful, atmosphere was wonderful!

Simply the best and worth every penny!

Whether it is $20 or $25, it is well worth it. My last anniversiary dinner at The Capital Grille here in Washington was over $200 with cocktails, sides and wine.

I'm not a foodie, but it was a special occassion. Usually I'd be happy with Cheerios or those Windjammer tacos.

On our last Mariner sailing, we dined at both Chops and Portofino. They were both fabulous! There are just as many people who prefer Portofino to Chops as the other way around. It all depends on your taste, your mood and the quality of service on that particular evening. In our experience, you can't go wrong with either!

Chops is $25 per person - yes the price has gone up over the last year. We had dinner on Chops on Brilliance on our Mediterranean/Greek Isles cruise this past June. It was well worth it. We had a beautiful table for two right next to the window. I highly recommend the 10 oz filet mignon. It was incredibly tender and flavorful. You can order any (or all) of the side dishes which are served family style. The mud pie dessert is incredibly rich. We've dined at Chops on 3 cruises so far, and it is always a treat.

Archived