Topkapi Palace-Istanbul

Depends on whether you are on an organised tour or not.

On advice from Turkish friends we wanted to have lunch at the Topkapi Palace but on our day in Istanbul you had to go on a ships tour to even get in.

The Harem was closed that day but there would have been no opportunity to vary the itinerary. Left to our own devices we would have spent more time there and skipped the carpet weaving demo but as buses were involved it was not an option. Have to wait for next time when we plan to link up with our friends for a week in Turkey.

David

As the ticket box office for the Harem (and the Harem itself) are inside the Palace, it's my understanding that you cannot see the Harem without also paying for admission to the Palace.

Also, you can only see the Harem on a guided tour. There are a limited number of tickets available each day.

FWIW, we enjoyed seeing the Harem, but it was the rest of the Palace that really blew me away....

:) Istanbul is a very easy port to do on your own...you might want to take the shuttle furnished by the ship for a small r/t fee and do the Blue Mosque, Topkapi , the bazzar etc by yourself..you must pay to get into the palace b4 you can pay to get into the Hareem,,I loved Istanbul

Also, you can only see the Harem on a guided tour. There are a limited number of tickets available each day. .

Actually, they weren't doing that when we were there this past May. Anyone who bought a ticket was admitted and walked in on their own; you didn't go as part of a guided tour. It actually allowed you to wonder through the Harem at a leisurely pace. And there were no limits on the tickets. Not sure if it's a permanent change though.:confused:

As for neil's question - as answered above - you need to buy a ticket to enter Topkapi Palace (10 lira ~ $7-8 worth), so you can walk to the Harem inside and buy its ticket. (Same price) I thought it was well worth the admission. :D We loved the Harem.

Actually, they weren't doing that when we were there this past May. Anyone who bought a ticket was admitted and walked in on their own; you didn't go as part of a guided tour. It actually allowed you to wonder through the Harem at a leisurely pace. And there were no limits on the tickets. Not sure if it's a permanent change though.:confused:

As for neil's question - as answered above - you need to buy a ticket to enter Topkapi Palace (10 lira ~ $7-8 worth), so you can walk to the Harem inside and buy its ticket. (Same price) I thought it was well worth the admission. :D We loved the Harem.

Interesting....when we were there in 2006 they were very strict about the numbers and about being there at the appointed time for the guided tour. No walking through on your own!

Archived