driving from Warnemunde to Luceck and Schwerin?

:confused:

We are sailing in to Warnemunde on the Constellation on August 6 and will be docked there from 7:30 am to 9:30 pm. I had thought about taking the trains to Lubeck and Schwerin, but after reading some favorable posts, renting a car in Warnemunde and driving sounds fun.

1) Is it an easy drive? What are the directions?

2) Where in Warnemunde should I get a car and is it possible to get an automatic?

3) How far in time is the drive between the 3 areas?

4) Is it possible to drive to all 3 and still have time to look around? I want to get back before dark as I will be going alone since my husband is going to Berlin.

5) Any other ideas, suggestions, comments are appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

We are sailing in to Warnemunde on the Constellation on August 6 and will be docked there from 7:30 am to 9:30 pm. I had thought about taking the trains to Lubeck and Schwerin, but after reading some favorable posts, renting a car in Warnemunde and driving sounds fun.

Have you ever been in Maine - driving like there:

2007A20V09-vi.jpg

I made this for another cruiser one year before. You can use it to get to Lübeck.

http://home.arcor.de/yao/DIY-HL-HWI-DBR.pdf

It's done for Wismar i/o Schwerin but with GPS Schwerin is easy to find.

2) Where in Warnemunde should I get a car and is it possible to get an automatic?

The best is to book with

HERTZ

which is next to Cruise Terminal Building.

You must select St. Petersburg Street Location and choose that you arrive by ship.

You should order a car incl. GPS and Automatic.

Next Option

EUROPCAR

in Rostock which delivers against payment to Warnemünde Railways Station which is five minutes walking away. Limited opening hours to return the car.

If you like to use http://www.viamichelin.de

Enter (for GPS as well):

Rostock, Am Passagierkai - Lübeck, Holstentor: 1.28 hrs

Lübeck, Holstentor - Schwerin, Schloss Schwerin: 1.17 hrs

Schwerin, Schloss Schwerin - Lübeck, Holstentor: 1.17 hrs

Round about 4 hours total driving

4) Is it possible to drive to all 3 and still have time to look around? I want to get back before dark as I will be going alone since my husband is going to Berlin.

Subject you have rented with HERTZ:

Bottom-Up-Planning:

18.00 hrs back in Warnemünde

8.30 hrs start of Warnemünde

=======================

9.30 hrs time to spend...

./. 4.00 hrs transit time

=======================

5.30 hrs time to spend in two places (Schwerin and Lübeck)

I would say: time enough.

From 18.00 hrs you are back in Warnemünde and look around there...

No.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We did this last week on Century

Here is the excerpt from my cruise review

We had arranged a hire car from Hertz. When you book on line make sure you request the St Petersburger Strasse location in Rostock. The pickup is in the building on the right as you disembark. There were only one other couple that we saw hiring a car. It cost around €70 for the day. We drove though Bad Doberan to Wismar which is a pretty old town (but we collected a parking ticket there!), then down to Schwerin with its beautiful castle. If you are there at lunch time I can recommend Kartoffelhause No 1 on the corner of Puschkin strasse and Schlosstrasse. #61 on the menu is called Auflauf and it is like lasagne made with potato instead of pasta (kartoffel means potato so you get the theme). Lunch cost €25. We then drove on to Rostock. After returning the car (and leaving €5 for the parking ticket) around 6 we walked into Warnemunde itself – what a gem of a town! Simple walk from the ship – turn right, past Hertz, take the underpass to the station, and then the canal lined with restaurants and shops is on your right. Everyone in town was sitting out eating and drinking in the late sunshine. Walk up to the light house and you will get to see the wonderful sandy beach with the most unique deck chairs – I won’t describe them you will just have to go and look for yourself.

We decided not to go to Lubeck as we thought that would be too much time in the car and not so much time in the towns. Hope this helps

Thanks in advance for your help.

With Heinbloed's great help we loved renting a car in Warnemunde and driving to Lubeck. The only company that will guarantee an automatic and an English GPS is Europcar. If you want the car delivered to the Warnemunde train station you need to put in the special request box "Holiday and Meer" then send an email and a fax to make sure. The total rental cost for this for an intermediate car with automatic shift and GPS was $169.00 for the day. The Europcar rental is in the train station gift shop and is open every day from 9 am to 6:30 PM. I had absolutely no trouble driving and the roads are very easy to drive on.

Eileen

leenie 29 - I have tried multiple europcar sites and cannot find any with a "special request box" can you point me in the right direction. We are there on a Saturday so I am not sure if they would allow a return past 12 noon

Thank you

leenie 29 - I have tried multiple europcar sites and cannot find any with a "special request box" can you point me in the right direction. We are there on a Saturday so I am not sure if they would allow a return past 12 noon

Thank you

Here's the link to the main company email. The gift shop that the Europcar counter is in is open to 6:30 PM when there are ships in port. I also faxed the Europcar office in Rostock and told them that I wanted to pick up and drop off the car in Warnemunde Holiday and Meer. When we arrived in Warnemunde the car was waiting for us and we didn't have to go into Rostock either to pick up or drop off the car. Plus they upgraded us to a Volvo V70 without charging us which was great.

http://www.europcar.com/EBE/module/render/Contact-Us

ROSTOCK BIS 24 UHR

Address

WARNOWUFER 30

18057 ROSTOCK

Phone number : (0381) 203050

Fax number : (0381) 2030566

Little Britain-

Thanks for posting your experiences. What did you see in Wismar? If there is not enough time to do all three towns, would you recommend it and Schwerin? Sounds like Warnemunde is definitely worth walking around. So often we are so anxious to get out of the port towns that we miss some gems. I booked a car with Hertz today for our visit in August but don't know how it will all work since Hertz said they only deliver cars Monday through Friday and we will be there on a Saturday. The 'office' by the pier is only open until noon on that day as well. Hopefully it will all work out. They are to get back with us in three days. Thanks to this board we are very excited about seeing this region of Germany on our own.

I called Hertz to reserve a car in Rostock/Warnemunde. they said the pick up and drop off location is 7 miles from the cruise terminal. I requested the St Petersburger address as instructed. They said this was the closest to the dock. How did you get the counter by the terminal?

Thank you!

I called Hertz to reserve a car in Rostock/Warnemunde. they said the pick up and drop off location is 7 miles from the cruise terminal. I requested the St Petersburger address as instructed. They said this was the closest to the dock. How did you get the counter by the terminal?

Thank you!

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

2007WmdHertzV03-vi.jpg

Sounds confusing to me...

St. Petersburg Straße is the rental location (= office) but they should deliver at the Cruise Terminal (= Baltic Point).

Regards,

HeinBloed

thanks Heinbloed:

Maybe I will send them this picture so they know where their cars are picked up! They also told me that the only way I could get a GPS is to rent a "premium" car with a GPS built in and they couldn't guarantee that it would be in english. That type of car was about 3 tumes more expensive than the one without GPS, I might add. I am thinking about going with Europcar.

Maybe I will send them this picture so they know where their cars are picked up! They also told me that the only way I could get a GPS is to rent a "premium" car with a GPS built in and they couldn't guarantee that it would be in english. That type of car was about 3 tumes more expensive than the one without GPS, I might add. I am thinking about going with Europcar.

I would call them yourself:

011 49 381 7699653.

I am quite sure that they can provide you the car you need incl. GPS.

The international call center does not have access to local cars.

Sometimes you get a better quotation here than via the call center.

Europcar have two disadvantages:

1. they charge you for the delivery to Warnemünde and the collection.

2. you can return the car only during the opening hours of "Holiday and Meer", i. e. until 18.30 hrs.

Another option:

Sixt at Rostock Hauptbahnhof (Central Station)

So you take for 1.70 EUR the train to Rostock and opposite it's the Sixt Location.

Regards,

HeinBloed

N.B. Just visit http://www.hertz.com and book yourself.

Hello everybody,

I have spoken with Hertz Rostock St. Petersburger Straße.

If you cannot get a booking for small/mid-size car incl. GPS you should book without GPS.

They have "mobile" GPS available (like Garmin, TomTom, Magellan). So what you need to do is to book the car.

And then send a mail of your booking confirmation to

rst61 (at) hertz-miera dot de

and to ask to add an mobile GPS for a nominal fee.

If you do not get response: it's the normal "Norther German" Charme... Do not worry. It happens to me all the time...

But if you want to make sure you can always contact me as well and I give them a call to ask for a verbal confirmation.

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

(Please replace "nickname" by the nickname used in this forum)

Again, if you want to make it sure: send your request by mail to them directly and do not go via your call-center.

One part of the fleet is local and not for sale through international call-center or internet. They have to Audi A6 immediately available. Vans for 9 on request within 24 hours confirmation.

Or if you going via internet or call-center or travelagent, ask for booking confirmation and send it to them.

If Uwe is there be sure that you get immediate confirmation by mail as already reported by other cruisers.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you Heinbold for your detailed and timely posts. We will be docked in Warnemunde on Saturday Sept 6. The hours on the internet state that the Hertz Rostock location St petersburger Street closes at 12 noon. I am told by the call center that I would have to pay rental for two days as they would consider the car returned on Monday. Do you know if that is correct and if there is a better solution for a rental on a Saturday

Thank you Heinbold for your detailed and timely posts. We will be docked in Warnemunde on Saturday Sept 6. The hours on the internet state that the Hertz Rostock location St petersburger Street closes at 12 noon. I am told by the call center that I would have to pay rental for two days as they would consider the car returned on Monday. Do you know if that is correct and if there is a better solution for a rental on a Saturday

Just book Saturday from xx.xx am to yy.yy pm.

The Warnemünde Cruise Terminal Outlet of Hertz is occupied during cruise ships are in port. Even when their office are closed.

If you do not like to talk with someone from the call-center.

http://www.hertz.com

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you Heinbloed! You are so helpful to all of us. Do you know what their hours and days that they are open are? I have tried calling several times (I am counting the time difference) and no one answers.

Thank you again!

Thank you Heinbloed! You are so helpful to all of us. Do you know what their hours and days that they are open are? I have tried calling several times (I am counting the time difference) and no one answers.

Thank you again!

Saturday they close at 12.00 noon. I. e. you should have called before 5.00 am (CDT) before you could someone.

Monday they reopen at 07.00 am = (midnight CDT) and you should call before 11.00 am (CDT).

FOR ALL CRUISERS: These opening hours do not apply to your rentals, as the ticket booth at the Cruise Terminal is occupied as long as there is a cruise calling Warnemünde. So no panic when you are reading these opening hours.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Probably a silly question but do you need to get an international drivers license in order to rent a car and drive?

No - just a valid driving license with Europcar.

http://www.europcar.com/EBE/module/render/Driver-and-financial-qualification?concrgDsp=4&concrgTip=1&concrgDiv=advice

For Hertz is this text:

For all Non-European Union renters, it is highly recommended your national driver's license must be accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP).

Driver's licenses issued by the People's Republic of China must be accompanied by a notarized translation instead of an IDP.

An IDP translates the national license into various languages and is on its own, without the national license, not acceptable.

But I was never reported a problem and when I am renting with HERTZ or AVIS in the US: Officially they want - I got one for lot of money but nobody was interested to see.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello everybody,

If you cannot get a booking for small/mid-size car incl. GPS you should book without GPS.

They have "mobile" GPS available (like Garmin, TomTom, Magellan). So what you need to do is to book the car.

If you do not get response: it's the normal "Norther German" Charme... Do not worry. It happens to me all the time...

But if you want to make sure you can always contact me as well and I give them a call to ask for a verbal confirmation.

Again, if you want to make it sure: send your request by mail to them directly and do not go via your call-center.

One part of the fleet is local and not for sale through international call-center or internet. They have to Audi A6 immediately available. Vans for 9 on request within 24 hours confirmation.

Or if you going via internet or call-center or travelagent, ask for booking confirmation and send it to them.

If Uwe is there be sure that you get immediate confirmation by mail as already reported by other cruisers.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Did exactly as you suggested and I did not get a reply which is okay. What about being old fashioned and having a map? Does the office provide a local map? Would a Mecklenburg map provide enough detail? Could we find our way without a map or a gps using signs?

Did exactly as you suggested and I did not get a reply which is okay. What about being old fashioned and having a map? Does the office provide a local map? Would a Mecklenburg map provide enough detail? Could we find our way without a map or a gps using signs?

Wondering that you do not follow up your older requests and check for the answers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15377323&postcount=22

It's your decision: if you think that you can handle it with orientation and language: do it! I prefer in foreign countries an GPS which tells me in my preferred language the manoeuvres and I can fully concentrate to the traffic.

In the book store in the train station you'll find a wide range of maps - depending which area you want to cover.

The first gas station is just few yards after you are leaving Warnemünde village. They have also a big variation.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Sometimes, I like to see what is going on, on the Northern Europe forum and saw about the GPS.

This is my opinion from experience.

May I suggest that you get a mobile GPS? I don't know if you will encounter what happened to us. It is very important that you do get a GPS.

The fellow at the car rental counter (not at Warnumunde) made it for the English language. We paid 2.52 euro per day.

Before my son and I went to Germany in May, I went to Via Michelein and copied a lot of the directions. That didn't help us since we encountered 3 road blocks within Fussen to our destination. Also, road blocks in other places. What helped us was the mobile GPS. It was worth to have this with us, otherwise; we would not have arrived at our various destinations when we wanted to.

Have fun in Germany!

Hello everybody,

Regards,

HeinBloed

I sent an email to the above and received a reply offering an english gps which I reserved. Matthias Bruckner responded to me and also advised that the office in the Balticpoint will be open when the ship is in port. Heinbloed, thanks for all your help and advice.

We just got back from NCL Jewel and did the car rental thing to Lubeck. We took a train to Rostock (train station across the tracks from the port). We rented from Sixt with a GPS and drove to Lubeck. We had contacted the tourist information center ahead of time and booked a great tour in English. There were 10 of us so I can't really tell you the price of the tour. It is a wonderful town and only takes 1 1/2 hours to drive there. We were there about 11:00 and left to come back about 5:00. That was plenty of time to tour eat, shop and have dessert in the town square. It is mostly autobahn so you can really move along as fast as you want. I tested 100 mph out for a very short time but mostly drove 80 and people flew past me. It is easy to drive in Germany because their roads are like ours with similar exit and entrance ramps etc.

Archived