What to do in Vancouver Pre & Post Cruise?

Disney1992

We will be taking our first Alaska cruise this June. We will be arriving in Vancouver on Thursday morning (11:00 AM) and the cruise doesn't leave until Saturday. Coming home, we won't be flying out until Sunday morning. Any suggestions as to what to do with our free time? This is our first time in Vancouver.

Thanks!

There are alot of wonderful things to do in Vancouver. If you have a rental car, go to Whistler/Blackcomb Mountain. This is abour a 2 1/4 hour drive from Vancouver. Its truly a great spot to spend the day. I think its the 2010 Winter Olympics will be in Vancouver and Whistler Mountain will hold the skiing venue.

Gas Town is also a great place, this is in Vancouver and not far from Canada Place, where you will board your ship for your Alaskan cruise.

Grouse Mountain is a great place to go to as well.

If you are adventurous, you can always take one of the ferries to one of their beautiful islands, like Victoria, although I would suggest taking 2-days to do this from Vancouver as its better to stay overnight in Victoria if taking the ferry there and back, you may not have enough time for this.

Hope this helps, others here may have some other wonderful ideas to do in Vancouver.

If you don't want to rent a car to go to Victoria, check with the hotel where you are staying and see what tours they have to offer - Gray Line Bus has tours to Boutchard Gardens every day. They should be spectacular in June.

Doone - not necessary to stay overnight in Victoria - friends who live in Vancouver took us over on the ferry in the morning, then to the Gardens for lunch and on to Victoria where we wandered around. We were back to their place in time for dinner. It's not that far.

There's Stanley Park & the Aquarium right in Vancouver, in fact you can see the park early in the morning as the ship is returning to Canada Place after the cruise.

Check out

http://www.vancouver-bc.com/ or

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/

There's lots of information there.

Esme, I guess it seemed to me to take forever to get there. Now that I think about it, we didn't get the ferry in Vancouver, it was closer to Squamish, I forgot the name of the place where we got the ferry, and its one of my favorite spots!!!!!!

I forgot about Stanley Park, that's a great spot.

I have to disagree- Victoria is NEVER a day trip for me and the bus "tours" are lacking in this. the ferry is 1 3/4 hour each way to Swartz Bay- another 30 mins. to Victoria. It's too long of a day unless you want to fly. Better is to have a rental car and go over and see the wonderful area that is far more than just downtown Victoria. On a day tour, you barely have enough time to see the downtown briefly and Butchart Gardens. Orca whale watching is excellent and the only likely place you will see them, consider a tour here is of interest.

if you go up to the Grouse Mountains, stop at the Capilano Suspension Bridge. The longest Suspension Bridge in the world! its really a great view and a great area.

Take a tour of GM place if you're into sports.

Shop at Gastown.

Walk around Stanley Park saturday afternoon/evening when you get back from your cruise and watch as the ships leave Canada Place and Ballentyne pier.

There was a thread with interesting info on Vancouver hotels which I tried to update, but it did not seem to come to the top. It is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=89517

In addition to the above suggestions I think that Chinatown is an interesting visit. It has what they say is the only Classicial Chinese Garden outside of China. If you are interested ask at your hotel on how to get there. It is close to a rather seedy district and not far from Gastown.

Queen Elizabeth Park is a lovely park that was developed out of an old rock quarry. It has two beautiful sunken gardens.

Vancouver is a great city. After reading all these suggestions others have written, brought back so many wonderful memories when I used to visit my friend who lived in Squamish. Capilano Suspension bridge, great spot, Granville Island, another great spot, but my favorite is still Whistler Mountain.

We would always stop at Horseshoe Bay on the way to Squamish on Highway 99, GREAT spot and this is where we got the ferry, now that I remember, to Victoria.

Archived