Pros & Cons doing Hawaii 14 day in March

lilkrz

I'm thinking about doing the 14 day RT out of LA to Hawaii on the Golden Princess leaving March 18th returning April 1st.

Can anyone tell me what to expect the weather to be like in Hawaii at this time? If you've done this trip from LA what did or didn't you like about this cruise? What is the Golden Princess like? I want to go to Hawaii but I live on the East Coast and that long flight just will never happen for me but found Princess offers this 3 times during the year RT from LA and thought this would be a good opportunity to get to Hawaii.

Thanks for any input.

We did this cruise this last March; I think we left on 3/2/08 and it was 15 days. But we were on the Diamond.

The weather in Hawaii was perfect! Not too hot or humid. I don't recall the exact temps but, I really can't stand hot, humid weather and I was very comfortable and happy the whole time. The warmest day and it wasn't bad at all, was on Oahu. The first couple of days out of LA and then on the return as you get closer to the west coast, the weather was a bit colder and windy. I really appreciated the conservatory with it's covered pool area.

I was apprehensive about the number of sea days on that cruise...4.5 days there and 4 days back. I thought I might go stir crazy but, no! I loved it! If you like sea days, you'll love this itinerary. I really liked the fact that the sea days were at the beginning and the end; the middle was all island hopping. The Diamond was one of the largest ships we've been on so there was lots to do. They had many Hawaii related activities on the way there and on the way back.

There was one point, on the way to Hawaii, when we realized that we were a thousand miles from anywhere. Smack-dab out in the middle of the Pacific...that was weird. Not creepy, just interesting. No birds, no ships, not even any clouds. We did see a small, round white thing off in the distance and my husband joked that it must be Wilson (the volleyball in Castaway). :)

We live in CA; northern CA so, we didn't have a long flight before hand. I would recommend flying into Long Beach if that's possible. It's SO close to the cruise terminal. It's not like you could walk there but, it's a very short drive from the airport. I can't tell you about cab prices or other transportation as my father lives in Long Beach so, I used "Dad's Chauffuer Service" :) Free of charge, of course.

Many of our fellow cruisers stayed at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro pre-cruise. It's also very close to the cruise terminal.

I have made this cruise twice. A couple of years ago on the Island Princess and last March 17th on the Diamond.

I love the sea days so this cruise is perfect for me. We had a great cruise critic group in March and had three meet and greets.

The weather is cool the first couple of days going and the last returning but I got much use of my balcony.

I would do this cruise again in a minute.

Enjoy.

WCC

Actually Princess offers this cruise 14 times, I believe, during the year between September and early May. Some other cruiselines just do this cruise (or the one-way) a few times during a season, so maybe that's what you've seen.

It was easy for us, since it's an hour drive to San Pedro. We had people from England, the east coast, Canada, the midwest, etc. on our roll call. What the people who were coming a distance tended to do is come in a day or two early. That helped them get used to Pacific Time. You'll be losing either two or three more hours during the cruise, depending on when you go (Hawaii doesn't observe DST).

Usually you could get a couple of days of rough seas leaving LA, and usually cool weather. After a few days, when approaching Hawaii, you'll see a vast difference in temperatures and the sea will probably be much calmer.

We loved it, but we love sea days. As another poster said, it was kind of weird when we realized how far we were from anything at one point. I'd do the trip again in a flash. With a big ship like the Diamond there was plenty to do on sea days, but we preferred just wandering around, reading, napping etc. If you're not into sea days it may bother you, but the more sea days the better as far as we're concerned. The weather should be great at that time, and the daylight hours will be increasing too.

If you want to experience the Hawaiian Idlands this cruise will not satisfy. The few days that you are on the islands do not allow you to see the real Hawaii. You would see more using the 14 days and fly to HNL then to Maui and Kuai. You could probably squeeze three or four days on each island, rent a car and see the real Hawaii. The cost would not be anymore than the cruise.

Ron

We don't fly, love sea days, and Hawaii is our favorite place, so this cruise is perfect for us. We've done it three times, twice on the Island, and once on the Diamond. We have sailed for 10 days on the Golden to Mexico. It is a nice ship, and the cabins on Caribe Deck with their large 1/2 covered, 1/2 open balconies are great for us. The only drawback I see is the elimination of Kona as a port stop on the Golden itinerary. Aloha!

If you've never been to Hawaii, as we had not before we took this cruise, it's a great way to get a "taste" of each of the islands. We would have never gotten there if we had to fly.We were there this year on the March 17th-April 1 sailing, and the weather in Hawaii was beautiful. Take your summer clothes!

We were there this year on the March 17th-April Others said how great the sea days were, and I concur. Very relaxing, or you can be as involved in the activity offerings as you wish.

There was mention of rough seas going out of California, but I've done 3 cruises out of LA (2 to Hawaii and one to the Mexican Riviera) with Princess, and have not had any rough seas. It can happen, of course, but it's not necessarily an every-cruise thing. (The worst roughness I experienced was on a Southern Caribbean cruise)

The weather is likely to be cool the first and last couple of days out of LA, but a light jacket or "sweats" is all that is needed for comfort.

I sailed on the Golden to the MR last year, and it's a nice ship. I can't think of anything negative to say about it.

I hope you decide to book this cruise. It really is a great one. And you'd finally get to see Hawaii!

I'm excited to say I booked the 14 Day to Hawaii sailing 3/18/09.

Now the fun begins with all the research on each Island and what to see.

Thanks for everyones input!

We did this cruise on the Island in 2006 - For me and DH too many sea days - not enough Hawaii - but we enjoyed it - we are flying to Maui for a week in November -

for those of us living in the west - it is great to drive to the ship and not cope with airports

I've done this cruise twice and can't think of a single "con." I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

While it's true that if you really want to see Hawaii, taking a cruise is not the best way but that's true of every cruise anywhere in the world -- you're not going to be able to totally "experience" the country but then if that's what you wanted to do, you'd book a land vacation.

lilkrz

I am excited for you. I sincerely hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I did both times I went.

I don't know what kind of cabin you booked, but unless you went for a suite or a minisuite, the Caribe deck balcony cabins are the best - - extra-large balcony that is half covered and can accomodate 2 nice recliner chairs, a dining height table, plus 2 regular patio-type chairs. We had a lovely Ultimate Balcony Breakfast out there the morning we sailed into Hilo. It's one of the best slightly decadent bargains on the ship. Makes you feel really pampered.

I can only say I too, like Pam in CA, would go again in a heartbeat.

I'm doing some research on our 2010 cruise and am interested in the Hawaii experience since we do love sea days. Since I'm somewhat subject to motion sickness (the bonine queen), is there a time of year when the Pacific is is better or worse (as far as bouncy-ness) than the other?

I'm doing some research on our 2010 cruise and am interested in the Hawaii experience since we do love sea days. Since I'm somewhat subject to motion sickness (the bonine queen), is there a time of year when the Pacific is is better or worse (as far as bouncy-ness) than the other?

We have sailed from California to Hawaii in April, August, October, and February. Our experience has been that the first couple of days out are a little bouncy and cool and the last 2 days back are also a little bouncy and cool. We really expected the August sailing to be warmer, but it didn't happen. It just seemed to us that no matter what time of year we sailed, the beginning and end were identical. Don't worry about getting seasick. It is no where near as bad as some sailings we have been on - for instance, the New York to Bermuda run. We have taken that sailing a number of times, and it is always extremely rough leaving Bermuda. You will truly love sailing to Hawaii.:)

This has been my favorite cruise to date. Can't wait to do it again in 09. I have been there towards the end of March/early April and the weather was great. Loved the sea days. You will have a wonderful time. :p :p

flamomo

I booked a mini-suite. Do they have the half covered balconies you mentioned? If not what cat. do?

Can anyone tell me if the Crowne Plaza offers transportation to and from the airport and what about transportation to the cruise terminal.

ginagirl

I did the Bermuda May sailing out of NYC 3 yrs ago and the seas were very rough both ways.

I just did Bermuda June 1st out of NYC and was so surprised because the sea was smooth as glass both ways. You just never know.

This has been my favorite cruise to date. Can't wait to do it again in 09. I have been there towards the end of March/early April and the weather was great. Loved the sea days. You will have a wonderful time. :p :p

Lynda, There is a voyage planned for April 1, 2008.

Would you expect there to be many kids, college students on this itinerary during that time? I think is in or near the actual Easter break.

Anyone else feel free to jump in on this as well.

Norcalguy,

Our recent cruise was March 17-April 1st (over Easter), which was spring break time. There were not many kids or college age people onboard. I think the length of the cruise as well as the cost keeps them to a minimum. WHen we went in 2006, it was mid-February, and there was a similar low numbers of younger folks.

lilkrz,

We had an BA balcony mid-ship on Caribe deck.

Sorry to say I don't know what the Mini balconies were like on the Diamond (which I think is a sister ship to the Golden).

We loved our Hawaii cruises. We both love sea days because they can be so relaxing. We cruised RT Hawaii on the Royal Viking line in 1991. A few years later we did a Holland American cruise for 14 days to Hawaii. In May 2007 we flew to Honolulu and spent a week at a timeshare at the Ko Olina Beach Club. We then boarded the Pacific Princess for 10 days. Cruised around the Islands and cruised back to Vancouver B.C. The departure out of San Diego or Los Angeles can be a little rough the first 24 hours. No big deal however. The last 3 days before reaching Hawaii had been very smooth for us. I would do the Hawaii cruise again in a heartbeat. The fact that it is 14 days you will not find a lot of kids. To long of cruise and also more money for the families.

We did the Hawaii cruise a couple years ago and it was around the same time of year. We live in Florida and we were a bit shocked at how chilly and rainy the cruise to the Islands were. We only brought summer clothes and it was probably about 40 to 50 degrees. I was freezing by the 3rd day of this kind of weather at sea I finally told my husband lets go get in the hottub and have some tropical drinks. We then had a blast! Also when you are in Hawaii it is kinda chilly depending where you are. We are use to hot humid Florida weather the weather in Hawaii could be 80 or in the 60's. I believe it was Kauai we went tubing down the old sugar cane ditches. That was a blast. We rented scooters in Maui that was beautiful wish we had more time there. We hiked on a active Volcano in Hilo, that's about all there is to do there.

I agree with one of the other posters, If I had to do it again I would definetly fly to maui and spend a couple weeks to see all these beautiful places have to offer. There just wasnt enough time.

Paula

Lynda, There is a voyage planned for April 1, 2008.

Would you expect there to be many kids, college students on this itinerary during that time? I think is in or near the actual Easter break.

Anyone else feel free to jump in on this as well.

Hi, we did this cruise last October, loved it. Thinking about doing it again in the spring. But want to avoid spring break (just in case). So think late FEb or early March probably the best time for us.

Cori

I'm excited to say I booked the 14 Day to Hawaii sailing 3/18/09.

Now the fun begins with all the research on each Island and what to see.

Thanks for everyones input!

Well, since you went ahead and booked it I guess my input won't make any difference. We did a variation of your Princess cruise in March of '06. We just hated it, too many sea days, not enough Hawaii, bad weather, rough seas and I'm kidding. We both loved this cruise and would do it again at the drop of a hat, heck, maybe even the drop of a pen (i do drop those a lot).

You asked about the weather. Since you know, I'm sure, there is no way to really know how it will be. We went March 26th and had beautiful, beautiful weather the entire two weeks.

Now, dont tell anyone this please.....we sailed Hawaii on a Celebrity ship, lots of friends went on Diamond Princess, wish we had been with them..:D

Have a great cruise, Chuck

For my wife and i the only con was that being at sea for 5 days makes you very lazy....not that thats a bad thing but then....POW you get hit with 5 islands in a row...no more sleep late or long breakfast meals.....you are going non stop for an entire week....when you get to hawaii you have to try the "shave ice" and visit "puka Dog if you are a hotdog fanatic loke myself....its worth it...best hotdog in my entire life look up the place on google for the 2 locations...have fun..

I like sea days, but my DH doesn't. Though we've done 3 transatlantics, this cruise drove him crazy. He said he'll never do it again.

I agree on not being able to see much of Hawaii. But, it does give a small taste. We had been to Hawaii 3 times already, having spent a week each on two different islands, and spending two weeks visiting them all. So, this was sufficient, as far as Hawaii goes.

It was kind of scary twice, as we totally lost power for an hour in the middle of nowhere. That was on an older ship, so I wouldn't worry about that. But, it gave us pause to think of where we were.

Archived