How do you pass the time BEFORE your cruise?

kaf7878

We have 165 days until our family cruise on Carnival Inspiration. It's killing me though! I feel like I am thinking about the cruise all day long!

How do you pass the time before your cruise??

Time just seems to drag by while waiting for the cruise finally get here. I spend a lot of time on Cruise Critic talking with the others who are traveling and waiting with us. I also spend time researching the ports of calls and what I would like to see while we are there. It all helps the time go by and before you know it, it is time to sail.

I hang out on the boards (oh yeah....I forgot....I just got back from our last cruise, and I'm still hanging out on the boards...), and I also buy little things here and there beginning months before the cruise...here are a few things that you ALWAYS need for your next cruise

-a room decoration for the door (do you have that yet)?

-a lanyard with a clear little case to hold your cruise card

-download some new music into your iPod (preferably Jimmy Buffet...which even sounded good in Alaska)!

-room deodorizer

-gum, candy, pocket tissues, etc

Don't make a special trip to the store...and only get ONE thing per trip

You get it by now...get little things each day, and start a cruise-bag of things that you know you'll need and even a few things that you won't really need, but want (the room decoration is a perfect example). I find by doing this, it keeps the cruise on my personal front burner each and every day.

Excellent advice!!! Love those little things each day ideas!

Warning though, once you go on a cruise--you're hooked. I just got back on June 13th and all I've done is read about, dreamed about, and talked about my next cruise. I hang out here too!:o

• 2 weeks later...

What I do is hang out on the boards; try to loos weight; and buy stuff I think I'll need for the cruise...

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Work:(

Yup...work as much overtime I can to pay for what I buy my DW on the ship....:)

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

• 6 months later...

For the kids- A package of post it notes, one number each page as a count down, rip off one page a day.

I start a Cruise themed craft project- I just started a Princess cruiseline needlepoint eyeglass case (got on ebay) or make door, room and balcony decor....

Big bin in spare room and add a new item(s)for the cruise each week.

Closer to cruise-CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN, I hate coming home to a mess!

69 DAYS AN COUNTING TIL RUBY

377 DAYS UNTIL THE OASIS

Ah, Yes, check Cruise Critc EVERY day!!

For the kids- A package of post it notes, one number each page as a count down, rip off one page a day.

I start a Cruise themed craft project- I just started a Princess cruiseline needlepoint eyeglass case (got on ebay) or make door, room and balcony decor....

Big bin in spare room and add a new item(s)for the cruise each week.

Closer to cruise-CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN, I hate coming home to a mess!

69 DAYS AN COUNTING TIL RUBY

377 DAYS UNTIL THE OASIS

Ah, Yes, check Cruise Critc EVERY day!!

Those are all fantastic ideas.....:)

Bob

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

I try not to think about it. I have a countdown ticker but I try not to look at it. This is the same way I go about passing the time between when I get to see DF. I try to keep busy and ignore the fact that the cruise or next time I see df is X many days away.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it's fun to spend quality time in your CC Roll Call thread. Pass along all that research you've done on the ship, destination, etc. and others will benefit. :)

Usually, a week before departure I'll begin making entries in my cruise journal that include a very loose daybook and notes on selected shore excursions. :cool:

I'm here everyday since I joined last week. I think that CC has increased my anticipation for this cruise. I've been on numerous cruises; but have never been this excited prior to leaving.

Could be the long Montana winter; but I think it is CC.

The trip, sun, sand, islands, rum, pecan rolls, room service, swimming, and relaxing.. it is ALL I can think about!!

There are some great replies. I like to read the CC boards as well. I usually leave home a few days before and drive down to the port so I check out things to do along the way as well. I have my list of what to bring, check it and realize that I need another outfit, so that can be days in searching.

Then there is work. I cruise therefor I work.

I send a daily email COUNTDOWN to the other people going with me. I start waaaay out like 180 days to go and I do it in the form of a question, with the number of the countdown as the answer.

ie: How many degrees is the spread or difference between the freezing point & boiling point of water on the Fahrenheit scale? I put the answer (180) way down the email.

If I can't think of a good question, I google the number. For instance I'd google, 179 number, and then 179 feet, 179 years etc until I find an interesting fact. It takes some time but if I forget to do it my friends and relatives email me to find out what the question of the day is.

Obsess about the cruise. Read the boards. Obsess some more. Stress the laundry won't get done. Make lists. Obsess some more. Teach a couple of classes...tell my students that they should run the other way if they see me in Cozumel on Spring Break:eek: Obsess some more. And then finally I obsess some!

And yes, I confess, pop some popcorn and read the Chair Hog, Suite Guests, etc. threads for my own amusement.:cool: The I get back to my compulsive obsessing about the cruise.

Archived