Bringing your own laptop

bobcat5000

Hi,

We are taking a northern European cruise on the new Splendor. We would like to take our own laptop computer. The ship supposedly has WIFI from bow to stern.

Have any of you brought your own computer? We are concerned with quality of reception and security. Is the cabin safe large enough to accommodate a fairly small computer?

TIA,

Bob:)

Keep in mind that you still have to pay for an Internet Package - even if you bring your laptop.

We used ours for "non internet" things as well..... used it as a DVD player for our little one, wrote my diary in Word, etc.

I just kept it in my carry on, and put it in the closet when not in use.

Catrin

Hi,

We are taking a northern European cruise on the new Splendor. We would like to take our own laptop computer. The ship supposedly has WIFI from bow to stern.

Have any of you brought your own computer? We are concerned with quality of reception and security. Is the cabin safe large enough to accommodate a fairly small computer?

TIA,

Hey Bob. I think everyone gave you the answers you need but I do want to say that whatever you put in your Stateroom is very safe. I would not leave large amount of cash laying around but your laptop is going to be OK just leaving it out.

BTW, when are you cruising?

They make cables that you loop around a table or desk and then attach to your laptop. They are supposed to keep your laptop relatively secure (I think someone would notice someone walking out of your cabin with the whole table). We are required to use them for our laptops at the bank that I work for.

They make cables that you loop around a table or desk and then attach to your laptop. They are supposed to keep your laptop relatively secure (I think someone would notice someone walking out of your cabin with the whole table). We are required to use them for our laptops at the bank that I work for.

I've always just set my laptop up on the desk and never have had any trouble but I think the newer labtops come with tracking devices. At least that's what our ITS department has told me about our new office laptop. Surely they are telling me the truth.

Hi,

TIA,

WIFI reception should be reasonable in large open areas, but with much steel I'm skeptical you'll find great reception everywhere unless considerable invesment was made to put a transmitter/receiver in every room. Also be prepared for stiff rates and slow connection. I have yet to read of connection speeds or reliability even approaching what you'll get at your local starbucks.

Your laptop should be as safe in your room as it would be in any higher class hotel. But as others have mentioned, unlikely for it to fit in the safe given how small our ship cabins and closets are compared to landbased hotel rooms, closets and safes :mad:

As others have mentioned you can buy a cable lock at Amazon that will secure it to something in the room. It would discourage casual theft but not the determined thief

http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Computer-Keyless-Combination-Security/dp/B000G6526A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215559330&sr=8-5

I've always just set my laptop up on the desk and never have had any trouble but I think the newer labtops come with tracking devices. At least that's what our ITS department has told me about our new office laptop. Surely they are telling me the truth.

I WISH I had something as simple as a tracking device. This cable gets in the way of my keyboard tray. But, banks are notoriously cheap when it comes to office supplies.

Archived