Packing Problems...

C cruzer

With the airlines charging for each bag, I need your advice on how to pack light! I would love to check only one bag for 2 people but I always seem to over-pack for cruising. Which suitcase is the lightest, what is the best carry-on, what should we leave at home? Help!!!! Any advice will be appriciated! Thanks!

I can not even imagine packing on suitcase for two people. We are taking six pieces of luggage. Checking two each and bringing two each on board. Of course we do not have to pay for luggage at all so that is one reason. How anyone can get away with so little I will never understand.

I'll explain how I pack for most vacations:

Nice lightweight black pants w/several tops - and one pr. of black dress shoes and small dress bag. It's amazing how you can get away w/only one (or two) pr. of pants as long as the tops are very different. At the most I take two pr., but that will match the same shoes.

Several pr. of shorts, mostly white, and tees/tops for those, along w/one pr. of sneakers and one pr. of sandals. No purse, but a big tote bag.

Other than nighties and undies, I'm all set, and even those can be washed in the bathroom if necessary.:)

I would just like to state for the record that for a 3 night cruise I checked a 21lb dufflebag (25lbs coming back due do limited shopping). It is not that hard to keep it to a minimum, especially if you have a good sized carry on. However ,you might want to check 2 suitcases (even if their small) for 2 people in case 1 doesn't make it.

I can't imagine only one bag for two people.

Of course this is coming from a guy that needs a suitcase just for his shoes! That is about to change soon because of the new airline fees.

For men I would suggest packing a pair a pants that can be worn with various shirts. For example one pair of Khaki pants (or different color such as black) with 3 different colored shirts. ;) The same with shorts for daytime wear. You get the idea. Pants can be recycled without worrying about washing them first. I would not suggest this for shirts though.

Instead of bringing two suits for the gentleman, bring one. (guilty again)

Pack shoes that you can wear with more than one outfit. (I am guilty of bringing 8 pairs of shoes for a week long trip to anywhere) :o But I am getting better.

Women can benefit from this as well. Substitute pants for skirts or dresses that can be worn with more than one blouse on different nights. Various pieces of jewlery can help too.

PAGING CARSON KRESSLEY!

I can not even imagine packing on suitcase for two people. We are taking six pieces of luggage. Checking two each and bringing two each on board. Of course we do not have to pay for luggage at all so that is one reason. How anyone can get away with so little I will never understand.

You might seriously reconsider, because this summer every airline is limiting you to one carry on plus a purse or computer bag. You are going to be checking a lot more than you think.

You might seriously reconsider, because this summer every airline is limiting you to one carry on plus a purse or computer bag. You are going to be checking a lot more than you think.

Actually they are not charging for International flights, yet. Of course we have till September so who knows what they will do then.

I am going to try and not take as much this time. But since we have two days in London and two days in Rome pre and post cruise and 12 days on the ship we are going to need a bit more. I am going to wash clothes when we are on the ship so hopefully I can eliminate some clothes.

I think one suitcase (plus your carryon) should be ok for 2 people. Of course it's not ideal, but it is possible. The mix & match idea is good. Only a couple pairs of pants (maybe nice black pants and another pair) plus a couple pairs of shorts, a dress, and tops. Go light on the shoes and toiletry items, and share what you do bring. Don't bring two tubes of toothpaste for two people for example. Also, remember that shower gel and shampoo are provided in the showers. Even though it might not be your first choice for shampoo, it will save you the space and weight of those big bottles in the suitcase. If you're really crunched for space, use roll-aboard suitcases as your carryons and put your beach bag or backpack inside it to use while on the cruise. A LOT of stuff can fit into the roll-on suitcases. Good luck!

We took 3 carry-on size bags last years for a 14 day TA and 3 pre-cruise days in Rome. We did a lot of mix and match and did laundry.

Pegs222

Be careful if you are stoping inf the UK. Flying out of there you are allower 1 carry-on. A purse counts as your carry-on if you take one. This is a UK regulation nat an airline one. We were also told that the airport in Rome was starting this too.

We took 3 carry-on size bags last years for a 14 day TA and 3 pre-cruise days in Rome. We did a lot of mix and match and did laundry.

Pegs222

Be careful if you are stoping inf the UK. Flying out of there you are allower 1 carry-on. A purse counts as your carry-on if you take one. This is a UK regulation nat an airline one. We were also told that the airport in Rome was starting this too.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "stoping inf the UK"?

We are flying into London on September 8. But on the 25th we leave from Rome and then fly into London and then back to the US. Will I have a problem then?

My boyfriend and I will most likely be packing in one big bag to be checked and then will both have carry-ons, because we're cheap and don't like the idea of even paying for one bag to be checked! We're pretty low maintanence though, so I don't see it being an issue. Shorts and tank tops don't take up much room, and we will be playing the mix and match game for evening wear.

What all is provided as far as toiletries go? Shampoo and conditioner? Anyone know what kind? What else?

My boyfriend and I will most likely be packing in one big bag to be checked and then will both have carry-ons, because we're cheap and don't like the idea of even paying for one bag to be checked! We're pretty low maintanence though, so I don't see it being an issue. Shorts and tank tops don't take up much room, and we will be playing the mix and match game for evening wear.

What all is provided as far as toiletries go? Shampoo and conditioner? Anyone know what kind? What else?

One big bag? Don't forget the weight limit rule or you could be paying between 50 and 100 bucks to check that bag.

Pegs222

WOW. Thanks for this info. I didn't think about it being that strict coming out of Rome. We are going into London next year for repositioning cruise and coming home from Rome, so I will remember that and take a small purse I can smoosh into a pocket of my carry on case.

As far as luggage weight, there are some options out there and I expect that there will be more as this goes on and on and on and on. My largest suitcase weighs 17 lbs all by itself. I have one that weighs 15 and a carryon size that weighs about 10-12. Something to think about when shopping for luggage.

Having travelled quite a bit for business, I totally agree with the color scheme way of packing. Lots of black and what goes with; red, white, and other colors for contrast. If you go with two color schemes, you could easily accommodate 7-12 days with one decent sized case.

No one has mentioned rolling your clothes, it sounds as if everything would be wrinkled when you unpack, but the tighter its rolled, the less wrinkled it will be.

A couple of passes with a steamer iron or a wrinkle release will make it look like new. Undies, socks & other small items can be rolled and stuffed into shoes.

Ex-serviceman!!!

One big bag? Don't forget the weight limit rule or you could be paying between 50 and 100 bucks to check that bag.

I should have clarified. One big 50# bag. ;) I've never packed in anything bigger than a small rolling bag, and I've been on two week ski vacations during the winter, so I don't think we should have too much trouble.

Of course this is coming from a guy that needs a suitcase just for his shoes! That is about to change soon because of the new airline fees.

For men I would suggest packing a pair a pants that can be worn with various shirts. For example one pair of Khaki pants (or different color such as black) with 3 different colored shirts. ;) The same with shorts for daytime wear. You get the idea. Pants can be recycled without worrying about washing them first. I would not suggest this for shirts though.

Instead of bringing two suits for the gentleman' date=' bring one. (guilty again)

Pack shoes that you can wear with more than one outfit. (I am guilty of bringing 8 pairs of shoes for a week long trip to anywhere) :o But I am getting better.

Women can benefit from this as well. Substitute pants for skirts or dresses that can be worn with more than one blouse on different nights. Various pieces of jewlery can help too.

PAGING CARSON KRESSLEY![/quote']

LOL - glad my hubby isn't the only guy guilty of overpacking. :p He actually packed wool socks and a sweatshirt for our first cruise. To the western Carribbean. In September. Needless to say he never used those!

We have in the past brought three suitcases plus one rolling carryon and a large shoulder bag carryon. We would also pack a duffel one case so we could just stuff it with dirty laundry, pack any new purchases in the suitcases and still know we were under the weight limits coming home. of course this was before the new airline restrictions.

So we will get it all in two suitcases and a carryon in a few weeks if it kills me! I'm really trying to do the mix and match thing but I can't seem to bring myself to re-wear stuff I've been sweaty in the heat in.

Both prior week long cruises we have still had to do a load or two of laundry mid-week - even with three suitcases full of stuff. :eek:

But we seem to go through three outfits a day - something for ports, then shower and change into something fresh for the evening hours, then change for dinner later since we do late dinner.

No one has mentioned rolling your clothes, it sounds as if everything would be wrinkled when you unpack, but the tighter its rolled, the less wrinkled it will be.

A couple of passes with a steamer iron or a wrinkle release will make it look like new. Undies, socks & other small items can be rolled and stuffed into shoes.

Ex-serviceman!!!

One of the tricks we learned in boot camp!

I still use that method today.

Of course I need to iron those clothes once I get to where I am going.

The two shower dispensers have a body wash (Dove, last cruise), and a combo shampoo/cond. (Lever2000, last cruise). I have to use add'l cond. due to the sea air. I have small plastic travel bottles that I put my own stuff in.

The other amenities in the basket/bowl are razors, toothbrush, t'paste, comb, deod., and other assorted items. (Well, it varies cruise to cruise.)

Oh, and I forgot to mention...I take my makeup and toiletries in a bag in my tote bag (carry-on), leaving more room in the suitcase. My tote bag is always pretty full.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "stoping inf the UK"?

We are flying into London on September 8. But on the 25th we leave from Rome and then fly into London and then back to the US. Will I have a problem then?

Hey Pegs -- What they mean is that there are VERY strict intra-european baggage limits for carry on. So even though you get a large 22inch carryone + a personal item in the US --> London, on the Rome --> London segment, you may be limited to just a purse depending on the carrier. Also, the checked weights are different there so the 50 pound here to there, may turn into 20 kilos from Rome to London. Best to check with your airline to see how flight is booked and who they partner with for the Rome --> London segment...So if you show up in Rome with 2 + 2 carryon, they may make you check a carry on. HTH. Ok, back to studying!

Hey Pegs -- What they mean is that there are VERY strict intra-european baggage limits for carry on. So even though you get a large 22inch carryone + a personal item in the US --> London, on the Rome --> London segment, you may be limited to just a purse depending on the carrier. Also, the checked weights are different there so the 50 pound here to there, may turn into 20 kilos from Rome to London. Best to check with your airline to see how flight is booked and who they partner with for the Rome --> London segment...So if you show up in Rome with 2 + 2 carryon, they may make you check a carry on. HTH. Ok, back to studying!

Jen, you just made me cringe. Now I have one more thing to worry about. And according to this, I am going to be in trouble. We are on British Airways coming back from Rome. And United London from London to Chicago. Well it is a good thing you replied. Mike and I are having lunch with our friends that are going with us on Thursday. I can find out what we need to know. This may be a huge problem.

Thanks Jen, I appreciate your reply even though the answer is not what I had hoped LOL.

september 8, 2008

#6006 S United Cedar Rapids to Chicago Ohare

1:18pm to 2:29pm

#958 S United Chicago Ohare to London Heathrow

3:56pm to 5:55am arriving September 9th

september 25th, 2008

#551 Q British Airways Rome to London Heathrow

8:15am to 10:00am

#959 S United London Heathrow to Chicago Ohare

3:20pm to 6:04pm

# 5817 S United Chicago Ohare to Cedar Rapids

8:55pm to 9:54pm

....every airline is limiting you to one carry on plus a purse or computer bag. .

I recently made reserv. to fly to L.A. next month on SOUTHWEST. I read every word, and it says "NO fees for first bag, nor second bag..." Also allowed a tote bag and purse. So, I guess SW is the exception?

With the airlines charging for each bag, I need your advice on how to pack light! I would love to check only one bag for 2 people but I always seem to over-pack for cruising. Which suitcase is the lightest, what is the best carry-on, what should we leave at home? Help!!!! Any advice will be appriciated! Thanks!

Soft-sided is definitely the way to go when you are looking at avoiding the extra weight of a suitcase. Leave the hair dryer at home! Follow the advice of mix&match, a couple good pairs of footwear that go with multiple outfits, and plan to do laundry. IMO it is cheaper to go to Walmart and buy travel size detergent and bring it with than to pay what they want for it in the laundry. Put a couple dryer sheets in your suitcase to keep things smelling fresh and you then use in the dryer!;)

OMG! I know your twin - my friend's husband in CO! He always has a bag for shoes and I give him such a hard time! :p

No one has mentioned rolling your clothes' date=' it sounds as if everything would be wrinkled when you unpack, but the tighter its rolled, the less wrinkled it will be.

Ex-serviceman!!![/quote']

Yes! Yes! Yes! Rolling prevents wrinkles for the most part AND you can fit more in your bag - I swear! I have a soft suitcase, but it's the kind that you can unzip the perimeter and gain a couple of inches of space (for all those goodies you need to bring home!). It works great (Costco). Rolling and using ziploc baggies for undies and other such things (I cringe thinking of TSA opening my bags and my undies falling out:( ) makes packing a lot easier! Speaking of which, I have 11 days and counting - I need to get packing!:D Happy cruisin'!

I checked our British Airways and I am in luck. We can have two free bags and lucky us they can weigh 51# :p :p each. We also can take on one carry on too.

Allowances for USA, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, South America, Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana

Passenger

Free checked allowance

Adults and children

aged 2 years and over

FIRST and Club World - 3 bags

World Traveller Plus and World Traveller - 2 bags

Maximum dimensions per bag (H+W+L): 158cm (62in)

Maximum weight per bag: 23kg (51lbs)*

Archived