Current Dress Code and Formal Night

Mark

I must not have been paying attention in my Civics class the day the right to drink and wear shorts was discussed. I must go re-read our Constitution ASAP in case I missed any other inalienable rights. We will continue this fascinating discussion tomorrow after I've brushed up on all these new rights. Goodnight!

And we will all be riveted to our computers until you return to enlighten us with your pearls of wisdom, oh wise one!:rolleyes:

I am so surprised and impressed with the action my one simple question has stirred up with this thread...I thank all of you for submitting and think it is great!

However, I will say that the one person who referenced the airlines and their baggage size and weight restricitions and fees has a very valid point...for me personally...to leave my business suit, shirts, ties and shoes at home definitley will lighten my luggage load as well as the size or amount of luggage...I never had problem wearing a businees suit for two nights and even enjoyed it...but if the rules change...well I will be the first to leave it home and wear my golf/polo shirt, khaki dockers and loafers...

I must not have been paying attention in my Civics class the day the right to drink and wear shorts was discussed. I must go re-read our Constitution ASAP in case I missed any other inalienable rights. We will continue this fascinating discussion tomorrow after I've brushed up on all these new rights. Goodnight!

You are so ridiculous I dont know whether to laugh or have pity for you. You can start with the 1st Amendment and then skip to the 21st Amendment..

Have a nice life..and Enjoy cruising...You need one....

I am so surprised and impressed with the action my one simple question has stirred up with this thread...I thank all of you for submitting and think it is great!

However, I will say that the one person who referenced the airlines and their baggage size and weight restricitions and fees has a very valid point...for me personally...to leave my business suit, shirts, ties and shoes at home definitley will lighten my luggage load as well as the size or amount of luggage...I never had problem wearing a businees suit for two nights and even enjoyed it...but if the rules change...well I will be the first to leave it home and wear my golf/polo shirt, khaki dockers and loafers...

This subject is quite a touchy one on Cruise Critic. Whatever our opinions are, the dress code is there for your interpretation and I hope you got the information that you needed.

American, US Air, United, Spirit, Northwest and others are also charging for the 1st bag, too...A family of 5 flying on American with 2 bags each roundtrip is an extra $400.

You are so ridiculous I dont know whether to laugh or have pity for you. You can start with the 21st Amendment...

Have a nice life..and Enjoy cruising...You need one....

Just put him on your ignore list, Trock...this person is condescending, mean spirited and argumentative; no point in wasting the time it takes to read his posts. A person like this is not worth your trouble.

You've got better things to do, right?! Like count down the days till your next cruise! :D 44 more days for me!

News flash!! It is now appropriate to wear shorts in the main dining room on cruise casual;)

Why......are you trying to convince otherwise:confused: ;)

Just because it is permitted, doesn't make it appropriate.:cool:

How can one question their upbringing when they had no choice in the matter?:confused:

By the time one reaches the age of reason and becomes an adult, one can no longer blame their parents for the way they behave. Society will teach social grace and courtesy if you pay attention.

Those who don't learn by observing aren't paying attention, or they don't give a darn, or there is something missing in their persona.

Didn't know anyone was asking to be taught how to dress ........must have missed that one....

Of course, you are taught how to dress...or should be. Good parenting includes teaching manners, approriate dress for different occasions, courtesy, which fork to use, etc.

If one isn't taught these things by their parents, then observation will certainly do so. All one has to do is look around and pay attention.

Yep. It is true for casual night. The new dress code allows "dress shorts (long)". Their words, not mine. :cool:

I have yet to come across a generally accepted definition of "dress shorts". My wife says cargo shorts are fine, so that is good enough for me.

I wore them every casual night as did plenty of others. It probably varies from cruise to cruise, but there will likely be a substantial number in shorts. As the new dress code becomes more known, shorts will become more common. Of course, a lot of people state they were common on their cruise(s) before the new dress code.

Cargo type shorts are not dress shorts.

Bermuda Shorts, also known as walking shorts or dress shorts, are a particular type of short trousers, now widely worn as semi-casual attire by both men and women. The hem can be cuffed or un-cuffed, around one inch above the knee.

They are so-named because of their popularity in Bermuda, a British Overseas Territory, where they are considered appropriate business attire for men when made of suit-like material and worn with knee-length socks, a dress shirt, tie, and blazer. In addition, many businesses in the West that have a business casual policy similarly allow this kind of clothing in appropriate weather. They are available in a variety of colors, including many pastel shades as well as darker shades.

These are dress shorts........

Bermuda Shorts' date=' also known as [b']walking shorts[/b] or dress shorts, are a particular type of short trousers, now widely worn as semi-casual attire by both men and women. The hem can be cuffed or un-cuffed, around one inch above the knee.

They are so-named because of their popularity in Bermuda, a British Overseas Territory, where they are considered appropriate business attire for men when made of suit-like material and worn with knee-length socks, a dress shirt, tie, and blazer. In addition, many businesses in the West that have a business casual policy similarly allow this kind of clothing in appropriate weather. They are available in a variety of colors, including many pastel shades as well as darker shades.

I think those Bobbies in Bermuda look mighty cute in them... ;)

The dress codes are what they are, If you're cruising in the future , read them and plan accordingly. by the way denim is bulkier to pack then knits or khacki. If you're going on your first cruise please note: people do dress nice. for every one person in jeans in the diningroom you'll see more in capris or khackies. You'll see little black dresses, flyaway pants and long dresses on Elegant night. You'll see suits, button up shirts and khackis and even a tux or two. If you want to look nice for your vacation go ahead. Check out the fashion forum for pictures of what people are wearing for formal(elegant) night.

Of course' date=' you are taught how to dress...or should be. Good parenting includes teaching manners, approriate dress for different occasions, courtesy, which fork to use, etc.

If one isn't taught these things by their parents, then observation will certainly do so. All one has to do is look around and pay attention.[/quote']

Since you were quoting me........you might want to go back and read everything. Your quote has nothing to do with my comment:rolleyes:

I was not asking if one is taught how to dress...........but hey thanks for the answer it might help someone else;)

The dress codes are what they are, If you're cruising in the future , read them and plan accordingly. by the way denim is bulkier to pack then knits or khacki. If you're going on your first cruise please note: people do dress nice. for every one person in jeans in the diningroom you'll see more in capris or khackies. You'll see little black dresses, flyaway pants and long dresses on Elegant night. You'll see suits, button up shirts and khackis and even a tux or two. If you want to look nice for your vacation go ahead. Check out the fashion forum for pictures of what people are wearing for formal(elegant) night.

Denim is nor more bulkier then any other pant. You might want to purchase some new ones. Some of mine are thinner then my dh's dockers.....

Also this dress code has just been recently implemented. Give it time.

this will be our first cruise and its on carvinal and we have 2 formal nights and hubbie and i will prob look outa place but were planning on dressing formal lmao we dont get a chance to ever dress like that and we will have our own party dressing to the nines i guess lol :D :D

this will be our first cruise and its on carvinal and we have 2 formal nights and hubbie and i will prob look outa place but were planning on dressing formal lmao we dont get a chance to ever dress like that and we will have our own party dressing to the nines i guess lol :D :D

You won't look out of place. Dress and have a great time!!! We do:)

I've said this in other threads about the dress code and I'll repeat it here:

Follow the guidelines. If you want to dress up more than the minimum, help yourself! I know I will. If you want to wear the minimum, good for you! I have no problems with it! I had the choice of booking with another cruise line if I wanted to wear a tux every night for dinner. Carnival has Elegant Night and allows slacks and a dress shirt (a polo shirt is not a dress shirt) for Elegant Night. On the non "Elegant Nights" the dress code allows for dress shorts and polo (golf) shirts (cargo pants are not dress shorts). Those are the host's rules and it's fine with me.

I've seen comments about the dress code for the dining room being a "suggested" code. The only thing I see that is "suggested" in the dining room as far as the Carnival dress code is a line that says "We also suggest a sport coat.". The rest is not a suggestion. At most it is considered guidance since there will always be debate about whether this article is "Elegant" or that article is "casual"

If you want to play the self indulgent rebel and not follow the minimum guidlines, go order room service. Nobody forced you to take a cruise and you know the rules now.

Denim is nor more bulkier then any other pant. You might want to purchase some new ones. Some of mine are thinner then my dh's dockers.....

Also this dress code has just been recently implemented. Give it time.

And they dont wrinkle... LOL

And they dont wrinkle... LOL

Well K and t,

Denim don't wick.:p

I'll give the new dress code about 2 years of Carnival's completely lax enforcement. By then a cruise will look like an old clothes costume party. Only messier.:mad:

Already we have numerous posts asking, "What can we get away with under the new dress code?" And you know that's what they mean even tho they don't ask it that way.

Dan

Well K and t,

I'll give the new dress code about 2 years of Carnival's completely lax enforcement. By then a cruise will look like an old clothes costume party. Only messier.:mad:

Already we have numerous posts asking, "What can we get away with under the new dress code?" And you know that's what they mean even tho they don't ask it that way.

Dan

dan40 the optimist lol:D Gotta love u!!!:)

Bermuda Shorts' date=' also known as [b']walking shorts[/b] or dress shorts, are a particular type of short trousers, now widely worn as semi-casual attire by both men and women. The hem can be cuffed or un-cuffed, around one inch above the knee.

Sorry, you'll have to cite to more authority than wikipedia to establish a definition of "dress shorts". If Carnival intended "Bermuda shorts", which are well known, they would have used that term.

In any event, the application of the dress code is in the discretion of the Maitre d', who I happened to greet each night as I entered the dining room and who stopped by our table each night.

Thanks for trying though!

Just because it is permitted' date=' doesn't make it appropriate.:cool:[/quote']

Appropriate is nothing but another word for opinion. It is an empty word that relies on shared values for meaning. I don't share your values so you will need to come up with something else.

Well K and t,

Dan

Listen Dan.. I witnessed it on the Miracle.. I posted the photos.. I just choose not to care what others are wearing.. I am on a cruise!!!!!!!!!I have better things to bother me... I know I am dressed appropriately (for me ...) .. If Carnival wants to allow that, who am I?? lol

Archived