ATT coverage in ALaska???

wasup254

your cell phone from ATT&T will work great in all alaska ports. just be sure not to use it on the ship.

It will read "SOS" as the provider. That's the clue not to use it. It's VERY expensive.

In Vancouver, if you are going there, it will work too (provider is Rodgers). Again, though, it is expensive.

As long as it says "AT&T" all charges will be the same as if you were using it at home.

We had excellent ATT coverage in all ports, as well as pockets of excellent service at sea in the inside passage (actual ATT, not roaming). Interestingly, in Victoria, the port side of the ship was roaming (Rogers), but the starboard side picked up a strong ATT signal!

If you have an IPhone do not use it under Rogers service. The costs are absolutely horrible and you will be miserable when you get the bill.

Wow you just totally freaked me out! I am scared now...Just got back from our cruise and I used my iPhone (texting only - no calls) while on board. Uh oh...

Wow you just totally freaked me out! I am scared now...Just got back from our cruise and I used my iPhone (texting only - no calls) while on board. Uh oh...

If you used it when it said 'Rogers' I wish you luck! If it said ATT or whatever the code is for the ship's service you won't be in shock.

I post this info about Rogers as often as I can. I was extremely careful with my IPhone in May as I was on a business trip where Rogers service was all I could get in Halifax Nova Scotia. I even bought a service package in advance from ATT. Still had a bill of over $300. In fact some of the charges are still drifting in to my bill!

Yes, I did have 'data' turned off and even kept the IPhone turned off most of the time. I looked at my messages once a day and made a couple calls.

Next time I go to Canada or am on a cruise ship to Alaska I'll take along a regular cell phone and leave my IPhone turned off when the service is Rogers.

Be aware that many ships have cellular towers these days. For example, with AT&T, if you use your phone while on the ship, the cost is $2.49 per minute. I know with RCCL and AT&T service, it shows up as Cellular at Sea as the provider on your phone.

Be aware that many ships have cellular towers these days. For example, with AT&T, if you use your phone while on the ship, the cost is $2.49 per minute. I know with RCCL and AT&T service, it shows up as Cellular at Sea as the provider on your phone.
I noticed this once on my phone as we walked very close to a docked RCCL ship in skagway...I quickly turned the phone off!

That is what we have and wanted to know, how to go about making sure we have coverage?

DO we have to call ATT?

Thanks

MArlene

Just goto their website and click on coverage. It will show coverage in all the ports you will be in also Fairbanks and Denali.:D

Odd-----I have AT&T, used my cell phone in the Windjammer on the RCCL's Radiance and had no additional costs. Just checked my cell bill after seeing all the horror stories and can't find an additional charge or anything that shows up as "Cellular at Sea" - my entry shows up as a "domestic call." Regardless, I think it is always best to consult your cell provider before you cruise.

• 8 months later...

If I am on the ship and see SOS as my provider, will the ship charge me for using it for data? I have an Unlimited International Data plan on AT&T so AT&T should not charge me for Internet and email. But will the Princess ship charge me for using their celltower?

I'm only talking about data charges. I know that Voice calls are roaming.

Thanks!

Archived