Warning, buying glass in Murano

Saw this on another site. Caveat Emptor!

Warning, if you buy any glass on Murano and are planning to ship it home, insist that they ETCH your initials or a special date deeply into the bottom of it. DO NOT agree to "sign" the piece with a magic market that they will then tape over to "protect" the signature. They will try to do this with the piece you select from the showroom - these are the best, flawless pieces. While you are "negotiating" a price, you think you are negotiating that particular peice. The scam is that they pull up the tape and then transfer it with your signature to an inferior peice and then ship that to you.:eek:

Warning, if you buy any glass on Murano and are planning to ship it home, insist that they ETCH your initials or a special date deeply into the bottom of it. DO NOT agree to "sign" the piece with a magic market that they will then tape over to "protect" the signature. They will try to do this with the piece you select from the showroom - these are the best, flawless pieces. While you are "negotiating" a price, you think you are negotiating that particular peice. The scam is that they pull up the tape and then transfer it with your signature to an inferior peice and then ship that to you.:eek:

I'm sure there are some bad apples out there, but I haven't had any problems like this and I'm a great one for having things shipped home from places like Venice, Capri, Jerez, etc. Reputable merchants know that a bad reputation travels fast, even across an ocean. Use care, buy from shops recommended by trustworthy hotels, guides or friends if you are unsure, and trust your gut instinct. Murano is an interesting place, and I believe most of the merchants there will treat you fairly.

Lisa

A friend of mine ,which is a savvy traveler, had a similar experience with a very expensive vase she bought in Murano. The vase she received didn't even look like the one she bought. I don't even recall what happened in the end, but she tried returning it and she couldn't due to some customs issue.

Archived