June Land/Sea Review - Radiance

pmoments

I just wanted to take the time to thank all those that over the past year help in providing information/suggestions to plan a great vacation for my family. Your help was invaluable. Thank you!! I thought I would provide a little review. We did 7 days on land on our own and then took the Radiance South bound.

Day 1, Fri, Jun 20 – Fly from BWI to Anchorage - arrive about 1 pm, stay at the Extended Stay – Downtown, good location. The rest of the day walked around Anchorage and called for the free shuttle to the Sourdough for dinner. Food was ok, not to write home about.

Day 2, Sat, Jun 21 – Picked up a rental car from Enterprise. Booked over a year ago and got for $105 for 4 days. Went to the Anchorage Flea Market and stopped by the Alaska Heritage Center, Musk Ox Farm and Reindeer Farm. (used coupons for the Northern Lights book) I would not recommend the Reindeer Farm. I actually felt sorry for them. Next we Hit Walmart in Wasilla for supplies and drove to Talkeetna for the night. Make a stop at Millers for ice cream. It was great!! Actually, stopped on the return trip for more. We stayed at the Talkeentna Cabins for the night. Would recommend very friendly. Walked around town and made our own dinner.

-

Day 3, Sun. Jun 22 – Enjoyed breakfast at the Roadhouse before heading to Denali. We actually had reservation to come back 2 nights later for our return trip to Anchorage. We stopped along the way great views. We visited the Denali Visitors Center and the Dog Kennels. We had two nights at the Denali Lakeview Inn. Very nice place and would recommend. We actually saw a moose and her twin calves swim across the lake. We had dinner at Rose's down the road the first night and the second night at the Black Diamond Grill. Both ok.

Day 4, Mon., Jun 23 – Denali Park we did the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. I know it's hit our miss see wildlife but we could have stopped at the new visitors center and returned. We didn't see anything after that. Wonder Lake was horrible with bugs. My daughter said it was called Wonder Lake because you asked yourself why did you come. Was glad we had our Walmart bug nets. It was funny watch folks in the bus slapping the window kill them.

Day 5, Tues, Jun 24 – Slept in and took are time driving back to Talkeetna. We had a 3pm jetboat ride with Mahay’s Jetboat. Again, we used a coupon in the Northern Lights book. Walked around town, down to the river and had pizza at Mountain High Pizza.

Day 6, Wed, Jun 25 – On return trip we drove down Hatcher Pass it wasn'' opened all the way to Independence State Park but we still went. It was some of the beautiful scene we saw. I would go there again in a heartbeat. The positive thing about it being close was we went back by Millers and stop for ice cream again. We then made a stop at the Idatarod Musuem for our daugher to have a cart ride. Only $10, a really deal. Then we made our way up od Independence State Park. Then a stop at Thunderbird Falls and to check in at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek. We unloaded and then returned our rental car and walked to the Glacier Brewhouse. I had made reservation online before leaving home.

Day 7, Thur, Jun 26 – Hotel gave us a ride to the train station which was just across the street with all our luggage. We boarded for Seward at 6:45am. We had a room booked at the Holiday Inn Express. Very nice and the train delivered our bags to the hotel no cost. For the afternoon I booked a Behind the Scene Tour at the Alaska Sealife. Booked the tour on line and waited until we got there and again use a coupon from Northern Lights for 2 of us and AAA discount for the thirde. We arrived in time to look around before the tour. We enjoyed the tour are would recommend. My daughter was one the child, she 11 years and wants to be a vet and this was right up her alley. The rest of the evening washed some clothes, walked up to Safeway to get some diet Coke to take on board and had dinner at Ray's. Food was good.

Day 8, Fri, Jun 27 – We had the hotel hold our luggage and did a tour with Renown Kenai Fjords tour (11:30am – 5:30pm) before boarding the Radiance of the Sea. Tour was good was cloud but the day before they could even go out. Walked back to the hotel afterward call for a taxi and went to the ship.

Day 9, Sat, Jun 28 – At Sea, cabin 7094, nice cabin. We went to the glacier was the closest they said they had gotten very cool. We stayed it seemed for a very long time.

Day 10, Sun, Jun 29 – Juneau – We did Whale watching w/Marv & Harv only the three of us and one other couple. Beautiful day saw lots of the whales, eagles, seals and otter. Would recommend. They even stopped by Mendenhall Glacier for us to get some photos for about 15 min. Then we went back on board for a bite of lunch and did the 4 pm Zipline w/ship to Eaglecrest. We loved it would recommend.

Day 11, Mon, Jun 30 – Skagway – We were in port from 7 am – 8:30 pm, scheduled the Yukon Railroad w/Chilkoot Charters. Good trip, daughter got bored alittle but she had her ipod and DS for those time. Nice lunch include and saw the puppies. Great driver and made plenty of stops for pictures. Was glad we were not on the big tour bus with others for the ship tours.

Day 12, Tues, Jul 1 – Icy Strait – in port from 7am – 4pm. We booked a 4 hour halibut fishing trip with Dream Fish Charters. This was the highlight of our trip. Frank and Marge are the best. We were the only ones on the boat. It was like being out with friends. The had scored out the location the night before. Our daugher no more then got her line down then had a hit. We had so much fun and laughed so hard just watch our 11yr old daughter reeling in fish. We all catch our limit and had it processed and sent home. This was the one thing my husband wanted to do and it was great. On the way back to the boat their next party called and cancelled and my husband said he wished we knew soon so we could have stayed out longer.

Day 13, Wed, Jul 2 – Ketchikan – in port from 9am – 6pm. Booked a Misty Fjords trip by floatplane w/Island Wings. Then just spent some time explore town (Creek Street, Totem Pole Hertiage, hatchery, etc.

Day 14, Thurs, Jul 3 – Relaxed.

Day 15, Fri, Jul 4 – Vancouver – dock at 7am. Had Luggage valet and transfers with RCCL. Everytime very smooth we had an 11:08 flight and were there in time but flight delayed by an hour.

Weather was unbelieveable did use alot of the cold weather clothes I brought was in the mid-60s. Cloudy some day but hey no rain. When we did have rain we got lucky and it seemed to be in the evenings or when we were inside.

Thanks again to everyone who helped and post.

Day 3, Sun. Jun 22 – drive to Denali (3 hrs)

- Hotel -Denali Lakeview Inn – 907-683-4035

- visit the Denali Visitor Center – 907-683-2294

Day 4, Mon., Jun 23 – Denali Park,

- do shuttle bus to Wonder Creek (11 hrs)

- Hotel - Denali Lakeview Inn

Day 5, Tues, Jun 24 – Drive back to Talkeetna (3 hrs)

- Do the Mahay’s Jetboat 9 (3pm -7pm) 907-733-2223

- Hotel -Talkeetna Cabins – 888-733-9933

Day 6, Wed, Jun 25 – Drive back to Anchorage return rental car

- On return trip see Hatcher Pass/Independence State Park

- Hotel -Comfort Inn Ship Creek – 907-277-6887

Day 7, Thur, Jun 26 – Train from Anchorage to Seward - 6:45am to 11am

- Hotel -Holiday Inn Express Seward – 907-224-2550

- Visit Alaska Sealife -1pm tour

- Shuttle to Exit Glacier

Day 8, Fri, Jun 27 – Renown Kenai Fjords tour -11:30am – 5:30pm

- Board ship Royal Caribbean – Radiance of the Sea

- Cabin 7094, (888) 724-SHIP

Day 9, Sat, Jun 28 – At Sea

Day 10, Sun, Jun 29 – Juneau – in port from 8am – 9pm

- Whale watching w/Marv & Harv (9am)

- Zipline w/ship (4 pm.)

Day 11, Mon, Jun 30 – Skagway – in port from 7 am – 8:30 pm

- Yukon Railroad w/Chilkoot Charters (7:30am)

Day 12, Tues, Jul 1 – Icy Strait – in port from 7am – 4pm

- Halibut fishing w/Dream Fish (morning)

Day 13, Wed, Jul 2 – Ketchikan – in port from 9am – 6pm

- Misty Fjords by floatplane w/Island Wings (10am)

- Tour with Ketchikan Taxi – (2 pm)

Day 14, Thurs, Jul 3 – At Sea

Day 15, Fri, Jul 4 – Vancouver – dock at 7am

Depart – United #1130 at 11:08 am connect in

Chicago United #730 – arrive BWI 9:20pm

• 3 months later...

Could you tell me a little more about cabin 7094??? Could you look forward and aft? Did the covering over the lifeboats get in the way? Did you feel like you were in a tunnel on the balcony? How many chairs did you have? Do you have a picture? Sorry for so many questions. Thinking of changing cabins and want to make sure it is a good choice. Thank you for your help.

thanks for posting, 2 questions. How did you like Glacier Brewhouse and how did you like the floatplane trip with Island Wings? Oh 1 more question. when did they do the Muster Drill?

I am not the original poster but can answer some of your questions, we took the Radiance Southbound in May and will be doing it again in May '09.

We ate at the Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage and enjoyed the food very much. Found the food very tender and tasty.

The muster drill for embarkation day according to my Cruise Compass states: "There will be a compulsory mustering at 8:15 PM."

Hope this information answers some of your quesitons.

Archived