gloves for glacier??

lilli

We are leaving next week for our trip on SOS and we are scheduled to do the glacier landing/dogsled thing--my question is how heavy of gloves will we want/need? Are the knit ones ok or do we want the water proof Columbia type gloves? Thanks for any input!

lilli

It depends upon how easily you get cold. I found my lands end fleece gloves to be almost too warm for me. The glacier dogsledding was the only time my husband and I even wore gloves and we could have survived easily without any gloves at all. For me a pair of knit gloves would have been plenty. You also need to consider that if you are the cameraman on the ride you may not be able to take pictures easily with bulky gloves on. The best reason for waterproof gloves is if you want to throw snowballs but to do that they make you go some distance away from the dogs and we preferred to pet the dogs and talk with the musher.

Have fun! Dogsledding at the glacier was one of our best excursions. My husband spent the rest of the trip trying to figure out how to get the dog camp to hire him.

I was perfectly comfortable in a $1 knit pair from Dollar General! And because of the price, I didn't feel a bit guilty of cutting out the tip of the index finger so I could use it for snapping pictures. ;)

I wore knit gloves when I went about 2 weeks ago. Because I was taking pictures, I had to take my glove off to do so. If you have a cheap pair and can cut off the tip(s) of the finger(s) you need to use, all the better. A cheap pair would also be the way to go because mine got filthy holding on the dogsled while I rode it.

Archived