Crew Change? Rhapsody

Hi

RCI have decided to bring Rhapsody of the Seas to Australia for a few months, and we are thinking about a South Pacific 10 day cruise from Sydney to Noumea, back to Sydney.

The reviews here on Rhapsody are all over the place! Some great, some really poor.

My question: Is it typical for the crew to follow the ship when it moves from one part of the world to another? Should we expect new food, shows, service when it gets to Australia? Or do you think it will be the same crew/food etc from Asia and Alaska?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay,

As far as I know, most crew have a couple of month contract to one ship.

The Rhapsody goes back to Alaska before returning to Australia so I'd say there'll be a crew change up there.

I too read the posts and saw many bad reviews regarding the "new" crew ex Asia.

I believe this was the first RCCL ship to cruise the Asia region so maybe a bit of bad planning and lesson learning all round.

Let's hope they get the issues sorted by the time she hits Sydney.

We're booked on 19 Oct, 13nt South Pacific etc.

Very much looking forward to it!!

Shaun

Service crew contracts, such as waiters, attendants, etc., are generally six month duration, with two months off and then back to the same or another ship. The crew contracts rotate constantly - a ship just doesn't "change" crews...that would result in total chaos...

LL

Hi LL,

I understand what you're saying about chaos on a complete crew change but apparantly thats what happened in Asia!

Most of the reviews I've read said the wait staff and bar tenders, room stewards etc were all brand new and very inexperienced.

I know that there is often a lot of Filipino and Indonesian workers onboard and maybe it worked out easier to start them there???

Who knows but sounds like the Asia cruises didnt rate very well :(

Could you imagine a whole crew change - it'd be like embarkation day for us!!! Hours of chaos and bags and crazyness!! LOL

Shaun

FROM GALVESTON....

RCI began the crew changeover several months before. They began pulling from a lobor pool from China. There were many many failures and a few successes.

Major culture change for the new crews. It has improved, and more recent reviews seem to acknowlegfe more positive comments.

The entertainers will probably remain, we see the same headliners and entertainers mentioned in posts that sailed with Rhapsody out of Galveston.

Just a personal note, when you read negative comments, look at the complaint....be sure it is cruise related, not outside service provider.

One of the complaints that makes me nuts:

"Our cabin did a nice job on our cabin but we never saw him" What is he your own personal entertainment staff? LOL

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I know what you mean about the reviews... it's easy to look at the star ratings and then not dig deeper to see the 'real' issue.

We were on Liberty OTS last new years and so just want to make sure our expectations are in order.

Thanks

Jay

If you go in thinking the Rhapsody is like the Liberty you will be disappointed. I have seen the Rhapsody in port next to the Voyager (which is smaller than the Liberty) and the Rhapsody looked very small. There is no Promanade, no flow rider, no ice rink, etc. What there is, comfort, friendly faces, beauty, grace, and a rock climbing wall. The Rhapsody is a fun ship, and with less paxs you get to know your fellow travelers. Enjoy our Texas Lady, you will love her as we Texans do.

If you go in thinking the Rhapsody is like the Liberty you will be disappointed. I have seen the Rhapsody in port next to the Voyager (which is smaller than the Liberty) and the Rhapsody looked very small. There is no Promanade, no flow rider, no ice rink, etc. What there is, comfort, friendly faces, beauty, grace, and a rock climbing wall. The Rhapsody is a fun ship, and with less paxs you get to know your fellow travelers. Enjoy our Texas Lady, you will love her as we Texans do.

Thanks for your report. I've been reading all the mostly negative Asian reviews and wondering if we selected the wrong ship for our next cruise. We really like being at sea and do not need all the bells and whistles. We're happy reading a book at the pool or on our balcony. What I'm not so comfortable with is the fact that the Rhapsody does not have alternative dining opportunties. With 10 sea days I'm afraid the main dining room menus will become old and tired. When on the Brilliance last November, we looked forward to eating in Chops and Portifino's just to break up the main dining room experience. The food on Brilliance was really disappointing............poor presentations and less than excellent quality. We're hoping our next trip will make up for some of our past menu disappointment with RCL. As for crew changes, on the Brilliance last year many of the dining room staff were new, it was like a training experience for many..........but we still had a blast.........one of the best trips we've had with memories to last.............

With 10 sea days I'm afraid the main dining room menus will become old and tired. When on the Brilliance last November, we looked forward to eating in Chops and Portifino's just to break up the main dining room experience. The food on Brilliance was really disappointing............poor presentations and less than excellent quality. We're hoping our next trip will make up for some of our past menu disappointment with RCL.

On Rhapsody this past May in Alaska, we had the new menu that is being introduced fleet wide. It was good. I've had the same entrees on 6 different ships and sometimes it was good and sometimes terrible. The difference was the Executive Chef. If your food on Brilliance was disappointing start looking first at the Executive Chef! If you think you'll be bored with 10 days, eat in the Windjammer one or two nights, order room service one night, or eat at the Solarium Grill (hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, and french fries) to change your routine.

we always use the windjammer, room service and the main dining room. Although I shared my uncomfortableness on not having restaurant options on the Rhapsody, food is not our main issue:rolleyes: . We love the sea days, always order breakfast to eat in our suite, enjoy dining with others and sharing port or previous trip stories..............just got spoiled by other cruises having dining options to try other than the main. And those dining options paid off when on the Brilliance last November. Now I know it's the head chef............:eek:

Archived