San Diego hotel ideas

jennbill

Don't know what your plans are while you're in SD but here's what we're doing.

2 days pre cruise - Holiday Inn on the Bay -visit aircraft carrier museum, Seaport Village, Trolley Tour, Coronado Island, Gaslamp area.

1 day post cruise - Handlery Resort -visit Old Town market & Old Town area

Both hotels offer shuttles for the airport and cruiseport at no charge.

The Bahia is right on Mission Bay. Nice views, access to the beach is an easy walk, but there is not a lot of selection of places to eat, and public transportation from there is problematic.

The Town & Country is in Mission Valley, a congested and unattractive area, but there is pretty good access to public transportation (a short walk to the Trolley light rail and bus center), to the Fashion Valley mall, and it is also a stop on the Old Town Trolley tours if you want to use them to see some of the sights without having to get a car.

Both are fine hotels.

Thanks for the replies. We'll have a rental car both before and after the cruise so mobility won't be an issue. The Bahia looks interesting. Glad to know both are okay.

If you are willing to look at the Bahia on Mission Bay, you might also consider the Catamaran Hotel and the Paradise Point Resort.

Mission Valley wouldn't be my first choice as a place to stay in San Diego unless you are on a tight budget. The rooms are cheaper for a reason.

I have never been to SD, this will be our first trip, at the suggestion of another poster I booked the Doubletree in Mission Valley. Is this a less then desirable area ? We are not renting a car and plan on using public transportation, we are going in Oct. and staying 4 nights post cruise in SD. Should we look at other areas to stay? Any sugestions appreciated.

I have never been to SD, this will be our first trip, at the suggestion of another poster I booked the Doubletree in Mission Valley. Is this a less then desirable area ? We are not renting a car and plan on using public transportation, we are going in Oct. and staying 4 nights post cruise in SD. Should we look at other areas to stay? Any sugestions appreciated.

What time of year are you planning to come? As another poster mentioned Mission Valley or "Hotel Circle" as it is often referred to is not pretty. It is right on the freeway, with no scenery. I am not saying the hotels themselves are not nice, I have had brunch a few times at one and the interior is very pretty.

But you are coming to San Diego. Stay at the beach, or the Omni downtown next to the new ballpark looks pretty cool. If price is not a factor the Hotel Del in Coronado is famous. :)

There are some great suggestions on another thread about San Diego

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808691

I have never been to SD, ... I booked the Doubletree in Mission Valley. Is this a less then desirable area ? We are not renting a car and plan on using public transportation ... Any sugestions appreciated.

It is not that Mission Valley is undesirable so much as it is that it really isn't distinguished in any way. Mission Valley is filled with apartments, condo's, office buildings, retail strip malls, a high-end shopping mall, a low end mall, traffic congestion, a golf course, plus various hotels and motels. As such, San Diego has better places for a tourist to stay which can provide a more unique travel experience. My own recommendation would be to stay downtown either by the convention center/petco or in little italy - especially without a car.

Archived