Cruise ship luggage tags

NelleS

Tried searching various forums, but haven't had much luck...

DH & I are doing a land tour prior to our cruise. Included with our cruise docs are luggage tags with the cabin number.

When do you suggest we attach those tags? For the luggage we won't need until the ship, I was thinking maybe at the airport in Alaska? Then for the rest, maybe the last night of the tour?

I don't think it would be a good idea to attach them too soon, as all the airline & bus/train tour handling could destroy the tags.

TIA,

Ellen

Is your land tour with the cruise line? I'm just thinking you should get a set of luggage tags that say "meet me" at the pier. There may be something like that given to you before you set out on the land portion of your trip. I don't think you're expected to lug all of your luggage with you around AK if your tour is through the cruise line.

Is your land tour with the cruise line? I'm just thinking you should get a set of luggage tags that say "meet me" at the pier. There may be something like that given to you before you set out on the land portion of your trip. I don't think you're expected to lug all of your luggage with you around AK if your tour is through the cruise line.

Yes, the tour is through the cruise line.

Ellen

The tags are ship/cabin specific for getting your luggage from point of embarkment to your stateroom. I suggest you put them on the morning (or evening before) you are getting on the ship. They are of no use to anyone before then, and you are right, they could get destroyed if you put them on too early. I clipped them (with a paper clip) with my cruise paperwork. They were handy when I needed them, and easy to put on my luggage. Have a great experience!

I don't know who you're traveling with, but for HAL there were separate Land and Ship tags. The land tags went on right after we claimed our luggage from the airport and before we turned the same bags over to HAL for the land tour. Ship tags will go on the morning we are due to embark.

Barb, currently on Land tour heading for the Arctic circle today..........

If by some odd chance the cruise line doesn't provide me with enough tags, I make my own extras on a color copier even enlarging them to make them easier to see.

I use a hardsided suitcase for my checked bag. I use wide, clear tape to attach a luggage tag to the body of the suitcase in addition to using the hanging tags.

When you are met at the airport on arrival you will be told what to do with the tags and the person meeting you is supposed to look at each bag to make sure it has the right tag.

That said the cruise companies in Alaska do an amazing job of getting the right bags to the right people at the right time.

I have to disagree with the majority of the posters here. If you are arriving the same day the you begin the land tour, I would advise that you put the provided tags on all your checked luggage before you check them at the airport. Why???? Just in case they get lost ..... Princess will follow up for you and it is much easier for them to identify bags with the luggage tags on, and get them to you either on the land tour or aboard, than without them. Believe me, they were a saving grace for us when our luggage didn't keep up with us on our flights to Copenhagen (weather problems - nightmare) but ALL our nine checked bags - cruising with family - were waiting for us in Stockholm.

We usually fly in at least a day ahead these days.....

Also, you will probably have a spare tag or two so in the event the baggage handlers destroy them, and your bags actuallly meet you at the airport, you can simply put fresh tags on them if necessary.

Just mho based on some serious experience.

Archived