Juneau Dog Sled Summer Camp

soccergang

Has anyone ever done this? We don't want to take a helicopter ride to do this on the glacier. We thought this might be an option, but not sure how good it would be.

$400 to $500 bucks, times how ever many in your party, to see some dogs?????????

(I know. Others disagree. "Experience of a lifetime", etc.)

Has anyone ever done this? We don't want to take a helicopter ride to do this on the glacier. We thought this might be an option, but not sure how good it would be.

Just reread your post. No helicopter ride. Sorry. However, I still have an aversion to paying to see a bunch of dogs.

Just reread your post. No helicopter ride. Sorry. However, I still have an aversion to paying to see a bunch of dogs.

In any case the dog sled summer camps up on the glaciers close for the season far in advance of the end of the cruise season.

Something tells me that the day of closing is not far off.

Where else can you take a HELICOPTER to a GLACIER and go on a DOG SLED RIDE!!!! IT"S ALASKA!!!! It's like saying, why go to Alaska, you can see snow in Ohio.

It's an awesome adventure. If you are willing to pay the money and you want to do it, you will not be diappointed.

(Edited) Where else can you take a HELICOPTER to a GLACIER and go on a DOG SLED RIDE!!!! IT"S ALASKA!!!! It's like saying, why go to Alaska, you can see snow in Ohio.

"...After all - It's Alaska!...." That says it all. Exactly the mindset I had in mind. Those of you going to Alaska and not taking a helicopter to a glacier and going on a dog sled ride will still see most of the "real" Alaska.

A frugal, tightwad, miserly former Alaskan of Scottish descent.

"...After all - It's Alaska!...." That says it all. Exactly the mindset I had in mind. Those of you going to Alaska and not taking a helicopter to a glacier and going on a dog sled ride will still see most of the "real" Alaska.

A frugal, tightwad, miserly former Alaskan of Scottish descent.

BBBBBBBAAAAA HUMBUG!

Trooper, I am a bit of a tightwad myself! I want to have a good time, but not pay oodles for it. After all, the cruise itself is not cheap! I even balk at any excursion over $90! Just call me a cheapskate.

I have some excursions planned (all through Princess) but keep changing my mind. I've been on two other cruises. A family cruise in 1991 to the Caribbean where my parents paid for everyone. We didn't do any excursions, except the free one to the cruise ship island. The second cruise was in 2002 also to the Caribbean (different part) and I went horseback riding and also to a cave and pontoon? party boat sail with open bar. Others in our party did snorkeling.

So I have more excursions planned for this than before.

I am doing the Saxman Village in Ketchican, the Mendenhall Glacier and Fishery (sorry, forgot the right term and don't want to look it up right now) and Bike and Brew in Juneau, and the 3 hour train ride and the bike down from the summit (same views as the train?) in Skagway.

I wanted to take the canoe trip in Juneau or a whale watch and also do the Mt. Robert's tramway, but also wanted to see the Glacier and the exhibits and the hatchery! That's the name! My sisters are doing the zipline in Ketchican, but I'm afraid of heights.

I just can't make up my mind. I've always done the ships tours for peace of mind and it's been hard enough to co-ordinate everything for the three of us without doing private tours.

Any suggestions? I just keep seeing about $400 or more bill even before I board because of the excursions, yet I don't want to stay on the ship and not get off and seeing everything.

Right now I am just thinking I should have gone to the Caribbean again. Less hassle with clothes...just bring jeans, shorts, t-shirts and flip flops...but I really want to see Alaska. We are going 9/1/08. If you have any suggestions, send them along. I wish there was some way to give email addys here in private.

(Edited) I am doing the Saxman Village in Ketchican, the Mendenhall Glacier and Fishery (sorry, forgot the right term and don't want to look it up right now) and Bike and Brew in Juneau, and the 3 hour train ride and the bike down from the summit (same views as the train?) in Skagway.

I wanted to take the canoe trip in Juneau or a whale watch and also do the Mt. Robert's tramway, but also wanted to see the Glacier and the exhibits and the hatchery! That's the name! My sisters are doing the zipline in Ketchican, but I'm afraid of heights.

We will never get agreement on what to see and do in Alaska. I am very reluctant to add fuel to the fire - but here goes. Your itinerary sounds just fine to me for a first time visit to the Great Land. Personally I would skip the whale watch and the Mt Roberts Tram. Let the games begin.

my Dh says we dont have to be on a mountain to enjoy it so we don't have to go up on the glacier either LOL Frankly, I'm a bit apprehensive about it, (slipping) they told me my cane was not allowed on board the Helicopter :( & I would rather do the summer dog camp. A dog sled ride is something I want to do, but doing it on the glacier is not a necessity for us now. I'd still love to hear from someone who has done it :)

We did this last May and enjoyed it, but you might find it a bit surprising. The dogs are not purebred huskies, rather they are mixes bred for speed. The camp is not for distance racers, but for speedy doggies. They love to run, you ride a kind of sleigh over a track.

For us, the most fun part of the experience was getting to play with the puppies - hey, we are suckers for puppies. The kids (two 19 year olds) also enjoyed it.

It is nowhere as awesome as a glacier landing and dogsled experience, but it was a good time. Hope that helps.

We will never get agreement on what to see and do in Alaska. I am very reluctant to add fuel to the fire - but here goes. Your itinerary sounds just fine to me for a first time visit to the Great Land. Personally I would skip the whale watch and the Mt Roberts Tram. Let the games begin.

Thanks very much. I understand people don't always agree. Just that it's my first time and soooo much to decide on. Thanks again for your input.

We're planning the helicopter and dog sled on our cruise that leaves in a few days (Westerdam 7/20/08). We'll be going out of Juneau on Wednesday 7/23/08. I can't speak to the dog sled camp only...but I can let you know about the overall experience when we return. I had to gulp a few times at the price...but I figure it's a once in a life time experience and it's on my "Bucket List"...so what can I say! I'm prepared to be amazed and awe-struck!

Vicki

We're planning the helicopter and dog sled on our cruise that leaves in a few days (Westerdam 7/20/08). We'll be going out of Juneau on Wednesday 7/23/08. I can't speak to the dog sled camp only...but I can let you know about the overall experience when we return. I had to gulp a few times at the price...but I figure it's a once in a life time experience and it's on my "Bucket List"...so what can I say! I'm prepared to be amazed and awe-struck!

Vicki

Yes, Vicki, be prepared to be "amazed and awe-struck". My sister and I did the helicopter and dog sledding while we were in Juneau a few weeks ago. It was beautiful and beyond memorable. My only complaint was that it went by so fast! If time flies while you're having fun, then it positively races by when you're having a blast. I wish you wonderful weather for your excursion, and if you get Eric as your musher, tell him "hi". He's not going to remember us, but we enjoyed him and his dogs.

Barbie

My son and I did this tour just a week ago. It is a small independent company that trains for the Iditarod. Our tour guide was a very nice young man who just loved what he was doing. My son (age 10) and I enjoyed it, as we didnt want to do a helicopter ride either. It is a quick tour about the place and how they train them. Then a time to meet the dogs and then you are off on a mile cart ride in the woods. My son loved the whole thing. At the end you can cuddle the puppies. For the money we were very happy and it was my son's favorite.

We (family of four with twin 9 year old girls) did the musher camp tour back in 2006 and we absolutely loved it. After the tour and the sled experience, our kids spent lots of time competing to see who the puppies loved more.

We even got a bonus on the way out and saw several grizzlies in the field. It was a distance away, but that's the way you want to see grizzlies!

I highly recommend this tour.

A few years ago we did this one near Seward:

http://www.ididaride.com/tours/seward/summerTours.htm

We loved it! I think it was about $45 at the time, but now it is $59. We spent a lot of time with the dogs and learning about the Iditarod. Then, we went in a wagon (wheels, not a sled!) and had the dogs pull us through the woods (they went pretty fast!) My son was 4 and he loved playing with the puppies.

It may not have been the same experience as going in the helicopter and doing the dog sledding on the glacier, but it was a once in a lifetime experience also! And, a lot less expensive!

Archived