MUTS Being Added

Nymue

Does anyone know if MUTS is being added to any of the other current ships?

Thanks,

Anne

We've been told Star Princess will be retrofitted with MUTS when she is in her drydock in September.

We've been told Star Princess will be retrofitted with MUTS when she is in her drydock in September.

It's interesting that there's been no press release from Princess to confirm this, especially if they tout MUTS as a "feature." From a TA conference, we've heard that ships that get the Gem Class upgrades (Sanctuary) will also get MUTS. Island Princess has Sanctuary, but no MUTS.

Hopefully it's all just a nasty rumor.

It's interesting that there's been no press release from Princess to confirm this, especially if they tout MUTS as a "feature." From a TA conference, we've heard that ships that get the Gem Class upgrades (Sanctuary) will also get MUTS. Island Princess has Sanctuary, but no MUTS.

Couldn't agree more . . . we are looking at sailing the Star out of SF and could do without MUTS being added:)

I have read that they will be retrofitting the older ships with MUTS, I have heard they won't be, then they changed their mind and decided it's a go again. I think only time will tell on this one if they continue to retrofit the older ships with it or not as it seems to be an on again, off again decision by Princess.

I just booked the Star to Alaska next June. I was told by Princess that it would get MUTS in September. The Sea Princess also has MUTS we sailed her April 07. (The smaller ships can accomodate MUTS the Sea Princess is about 77,000 tons.) It was wonderful. My DH & I went to MUTS almost very night instead of to the shows. We have been cruising for 20+yrs and the shows are getting alittle tired to us. We loved sitting out on deck watching a movie on a lounge chair, it was great to have another choice of entertainment. I really hope they go through with putting MUTS on the Star.

Hello, Just got back form IP, The sanctuary from my undersatnding was actually the Teen pool and hot tub till they took it away from the teen centre and dry docked it into the sanctuary. April/08

When booking your crusie I'd make sure it was on a newer ship if this is whyat:rolleyes: you want. It was small, and not used when we were there.

I don't think so. Ships are too small.

Only the grand class vessels can hold a screen that size.

Happy sailing to you too....boat.gif

Hmm by this criteria, Diamond and Sapphire should certainly have it -- they are the same number of staterooms but larger than some of the others in the Grand Class.

I read somewhere (wracking my noodle) that on some of the ships, the retracting pool cover is an impediment to some of the ships getting MUTs. Anyone know about this?

Tee

MUTS was added to Grand Princess which has the retracting pool cover (Conservatory). What they did was mount the big screen on the Sun Deck, above the open-air pool. The installation looks like the clumsy afterthought that it is, and the viewing area is exposed to the elements. There are very few protected spots where the screen can be seen so it's not really usable except when the weather is nice. Originally, Golden and Star were supposed to get the same add-on but the plans were scrapped because MUTS isn't a big draw for itineraries outside the Caribbean, and passenger comments were not positive.

Diamond and Sapphire don't have any place to put MUTS because of the location of the Skywalker lounge. Island and Coral probably could take it, but it would be a similar installation as was done on Grand Princess and would suffer the same problems.

The newer ships don't do the Panama Canal :rolleyes:

Hello, Just got back form IP, The sanctuary from my undersatnding was actually the Teen pool and hot tub till they took it away from the teen centre and dry docked it into the sanctuary. April/08

When booking your crusie I'd make sure it was on a newer ship if this is whyat:rolleyes: you want. It was small, and not used when we were there.

I thought Larrys info was a press release?? :D

I'm looking forward to checking out MUTS on the CB in a few weeks, we were disappointed the Star and Golden did not have it.

Something of interest: Maybe. My daughter just got off the Sea and the first night they ran to get good seats for the MUTS (movie was Bucket List). They got good seats; only about 10 people showed up altogether and they were a party of four. :D Daughter loved it; OD'd on popcorn.

WE were recently on the CB and there were evening it was difficult to find 2 or more seats together unless you got there at least 30 minutes before.

We Loved it :p Grab a large latte' to go, add a shot of Kahlu'a, curl up with some good company and add MUTS! :p Now THAT'S Vacation :D

Anne

Thought I'd track you down. I knew you'd be lurking around the Princess boards.

I beg your pardon - I never lurk. Good to see you my friend - you should email - lots to chat about...well...sort of.

Love Muts. So Glad That They Are Expanding It. Nothing Like Sitting On Deck Under The Stars, Lounging And Watching A Movie. It Is Such A Nice Way To Spend An Evening.

Yeah...you should try it in Alaska. Northern Europe. Canada/New England. Transpacific. Transatlantic. South America around Cape Horn. It seems Princess would be somewhat foolish to retro fit all of their ships - many of them spend a good deal of time in cooler climates where the passengers won't be outside watching it, day or night.

I thought Larrys info was a press release??

I believe the information Larry posted came from a Travel Agent newsletter and was attributed to one of the Vice Presidents at Princess...third hand and we can still hope its a rumor...what do Vice Presidents know?

WE were recently on the CB and there were evening it was difficult to find 2 or more seats together unless you got there at least 30 minutes before.

We Loved it :p Grab a large latte' to go, add a shot of Kahlu'a, curl up with some good company and add MUTS! :p Now THAT'S Vacation :D

Anne

Hi, Anne!

You know on our sailing that was the one thing we did not do this time. Usually, we catch a movie or two. We might even take a dip in the pool during the day and catch a movie while wading, but this time we never got there. I do like sitting there at night and just watch the sea go by, but the popcorn needs butter!

I believe the information Larry posted came from a Travel Agent newsletter and was attributed to one of the Vice Presidents at Princess...third hand and we can still hope its a rumor...what do Vice Presidents know?

I know, but if Larry posts it then even he must think it is a possibility. :D

The Emerald was our first time with a Princess ship that had MUTS, and

we expected to hate it but loved it. However, we were in a hot climate,

and I couldn't see having MUTS in ships that sail to cold-weather climates.:eek:

We're booked on the Star for next April out of SF and I'd much rather have

the enclosed pool than the MUTS on that ship.

Time will tell.

I too was under the impression that ships with the retractable cover over a pool wouldn't be retrofitted.

I think if it's a matter of having a covered pool or MUTS on an Alaskan cruise, I think the ability to use the pool in cool weather may win out.

MUTS is currently only available with the open air pools. Crown, Caribbean, Emerald, Sea and soon Ruby do not have a covered pools on board. The Grad had it installed by the main "open air" pool ( and I agree it looks awful ). But recent new builds from Carnival Corp (Carnival & Costa) have a slightly smaller screen under in their covered pools areas. Princess could easily do the same with Star, Golden, Diamond & Sapphire. Not sure about Island and Coral at this point and would love to see all the 70,000 plus ton ships get MUTS.

My guess is that is what will happen during the "Gem" upgrades which I can't wait for!

Archived