MUTS Being Added

Nymue

Well, we'll all find out for sure in September.

If they can somehow fit a MUTS screen into the Conservatory, that might not be so bad (but it would be better if they do like Sea Princess and provide headphones).

I just don't like the look of how they installed it on Grand - ruins the look of the main pool, IMO.

Jack and I plan on going up to San Francisco when she is in drydock - if they are putting MUTS in the open pool area, we should be able to see it from the shore.

It's interesting that there's been no press release from Princess to confirm this, especially if they tout MUTS as a "feature." From a TA conference, we've heard that ships that get the Gem Class upgrades (Sanctuary) will also get MUTS. Island Princess has Sanctuary, but no MUTS.

Hopefully it's all just a nasty rumor.

I hope the abomination that is MUTS is NEVER inflicted upon the Island or Coral Princess. That would be a truly sad day if such were ever to occur.

I say off to the dog pound for the MUTS!

MUTS is currently only available with the open air pools. Crown, Caribbean, Emerald, Sea and soon Ruby do not have a covered pools on board. The Grad had it installed by the main "open air" pool ( and I agree it looks awful ). But recent new builds from Carnival Corp (Carnival & Costa) have a slightly smaller screen under in their covered pools areas. Princess could easily do the same with Star, Golden, Diamond & Sapphire. Not sure about Island and Coral at this point and would love to see all the 70,000 plus ton ships get MUTS.

My guess is that is what will happen during the "Gem" upgrades which I can't wait for!

Heck why not build a climbing wall and mount the MUTS on the backside… and the swimming pools could be drained in the evening and converted to a skateboard rink, or better yet, just freeze the water in the pools so they can be used for ice skating at night.

The promenade deck could be used for go-cart racing, and a few cables could be strung from the superstructure for zip lining….why not a kitchenette in every cabin so you can make a “home cooked” meal.

People seem to want to make cruise ships into floating generic Mega Malls or just like the ubiquitous boring strip mall down the road from where they live. So why even bother leaving port? Just leave the ship at dock and run a line from land and wire it for cable!

WOW.....Why not tell everyone what you really think :rolleyes:

I know, we should all just keep our minds closed, fold our hands meekly in our laps...... and sit and watch every old boring show (or play BINGO) :(

Every thought about Balloning with all that Hot Air? :eek:

Heck why not build a climbing wall and mount the MUTS on the backside… and the swimming pools could be drained in the evening and converted to a skateboard rink, or better yet, just freeze the water in the pools so they can be used for ice skating at night.

The promenade deck could be used for go-cart racing, and a few cables could be strung from the superstructure for zip lining….why not a kitchenette in every cabin so you can make a “home cooked” meal.

People seem to want to make cruise ships into floating generic Mega Malls or just like the ubiquitous boring strip mall down the road from where they live. So why even bother leaving port? Just leave the ship at dock and run a line from land and wire it for cable!

Hi Rich ~

We love sitting out by the Aft pool at night, it's so peaceful!

Hugs,

Anne --- BTW we were thinking about you the other night while we watched Sarge's DVD :p

Hi, Anne!

You know on our sailing that was the one thing we did not do this time. Usually, we catch a movie or two. We might even take a dip in the pool during the day and catch a movie while wading, but this time we never got there. I do like sitting there at night and just watch the sea go by, but the popcorn needs butter!

Hey Nymue, you'd be surprised at how many people agree with Roque Wave. I'd like to know where the ear phones were on the Sea Princess last month, because the two times I was eating at the grill, the noise from the MUTS screen was intolerable. Probably why I only made my way to that deck twice in 14 days!!!!!

I agree that would be a nicer way to do it. That way it doesn't intrude on those that don't want to be bothered by it, it can be invasive.

I just think minds need to be open to both sides of the picture (No pun intended :) ) There are nights we enjoy going to the shows, other nights we really like to just go out and veg out on deck with MUTS.

Anne

Hey Nymue, you'd be surprised at how many people agree with Roque Wave. I'd like to know where the ear phones were on the Sea Princess last month, because the two times I was eating at the grill, the noise from the MUTS screen was intolerable. Probably why I only made my way to that deck twice in 14 days!!!!!

But recent new builds from Carnival Corp (Carnival & Costa) have a slightly smaller screen under in their covered pools areas. Princess could easily do the same with Star, Golden, Diamond & Sapphire. Not sure about Island and Coral at this point and would love to see all the 70,000 plus ton ships get MUTS.

Putting MUTS INSIDE the covered pools is a horrible idea. Those areas are pretty well known for being serene and calming. Having a big screen TV in there blaring away and echoing under the cover is a very bad idea.

I just think minds need to be open to both sides of the picture (No pun intended :) ) There are nights we enjoy going to the shows, other nights we really like to just go out and veg out on deck with MUTS.

Right - minds need to be open on both sides of the issue - so how about putting MUTS on the ships built for it and leaving it off the rest of the fleet? The ships built with MUTS travel in the warmer waters anyway - that will satsify those who want to watch on a balmy night. For those of us with other interests, we can pick the other ships. I guarantee if you choose to cruise Alaska, you won't care if your ship has MUTS or not. I wonder how many people are watching MUTS on Crown Princess in Northern Europe right about now.

I wonder how many people are watching MUTS on Crown Princess in Northern Europe right about now.

Probably not too many. I loved MUTS on the CB, but while on the Crown (embarking 9/7 for 28 days), I wonder how much time we'll spend out of doors. Brrrrrrrrrrr..........just thinking about it.

I know, we should all just keep our minds closed, fold our hands meekly in our laps...... and sit and watch every old boring show (or play BINGO) :(

Good one. ;)

Putting MUTS INSIDE the covered pools is a horrible idea. Those areas are pretty well known for being serene and calming. Having a big screen TV in there blaring away and echoing under the cover is a very bad idea.

I couldn't agree more!

Right - minds need to be open on both sides of the issue - so how about putting MUTS on the ships built for it and leaving it off the rest of the fleet? The ships built with MUTS travel in the warmer waters anyway - that will satsify those who want to watch on a balmy night. For those of us with other interests, we can pick the other ships. I guarantee if you choose to cruise Alaska, you won't care if your ship has MUTS or not. I wonder how many people are watching MUTS on Crown Princess in Northern Europe right about now.

This would work fine IF they dedicated ships to specific areas. Having sailed both Northern Europe and Alaska, and being booked on the Crown for the British Isles next summer, I can tell you there *are* some nights I can well see us being out there enjoying MUTS :p

This is getting ridiculous, I will simply agree to disagree with you on this subject. When we did the BI cruise in 06’ we had several warm evenings in the southern part of England, I have no idea what your experience is in this region.

Yes those who like MUTS and some of the newer features the other lines are offering can switch over to RCCL or Carnival, however those that don’t like some of the newer, more modern, features of cruising that Princess is adding (yes that includes Anytime Dining) can also switch over to HAL. Either way Princess is going to do what Princess is going to do, and we happen to like it!

You appear to want to argue here, I do not want to, so I choose to say no more. I believe I’ve made my point clear.

Happy Sailing,

Anne

Don't freeze your tongue off...I guess if you're into freezing in the cold night air while at sea, have at it. Hopefully there will be enough of your fellow passengers on board who will want the same so that they will turn the thing on.

But, if you're going to keep an open mind about this issue, then you have to realize that some people don't want or need MUTS on their voyages...Princess provides plenty of ships with the "feature" so that you can have your good time. Why not leave the rest of them alone, especially the ships that are desecrated because the apparatus in hung on them as an afterthought?

This is getting ridiculous, I will simply agree to disagree with you on this subject. When we did the BI cruise in 06’ we had several warm evenings in the southern part of England, I have no idea what your experience is in this region.

Yes those who like MUTS and some of the newer features the other lines are offering can switch over to RCCL or Carnival, however those that don’t like some of the newer, more modern, features of cruising that Princess is adding (yes that includes Anytime Dining) can also switch over to HAL. Either way Princess is going to do what Princess is going to do, and we happen to like it!

You appear to want to argue here, I do not want to, so I choose to say no more. I believe I’ve made my point clear.

Happy Sailing,

Anne

Unfortunate that you choose to say no more...but equally unfortunate that you choose to discuss until someone has an opposing opinion. I thought you felt we should keep our minds open.

I'm sorry that you feel that expressing one's opinion means they are argumentative. I'm glad to hear that you've had warm evenings in the British Isles which allow you to watch MUTS. For the record I have no experience on ship on a like itinerary. But contrary to your previous statement that we should all fold our hands and play bingo, I've found other things to do - like be social with my fellow passengers - besides watching TV when I travel. I don't think it quite fair to infer that those of us who are not interested in MUTS are somehow behind the times. The double edged sword that is Princess is that it offers diversions that appeal to such differing tastes - and that means that there are so many differing tastes on one ship.

Logistically speaking, it seems very bad business to spend the money to put a permanent outdoor movie theater on a ship that will spend a good deal of its time in colder climates where using this theater is inconsistent. Right, Princess does not keep their ships in dedicated climates, but if a ship is going to spend almost half its time in Alasaka where outdoor nightime movies aren't going to be used, there is no business case for adding the hardware. If the cruise line does so, in order to realize enough revenue to offset the expenditure, the cruise fare goes up, whether one is on that ship with unused MUTS or not.

Finally, anyone with any sense would not buy a product that doesn't suit their needs - thanks for your suggestion to pick another cruise line. If Princess stops offering an acceptable product, I certainly will do that - but I don't think that's going to happen - they've not been in business for over 40 years because they're into alienating those who enjoy their product.

Modern, up to date - all excellent things that appeal to the new cruiser, but when that modern, up to date feature is of a lower quality, we should express our opinions. From what I've heard and experienced about Anytime Dining, the experience is inferior and there's always a waitlist for Traditional. Like Anytime Dining, MUTS isn't for everyone. It's unfortunate that we all can't accept and buy the excellent product that already exists without insisting that it change without thought or reason.

Unfortunate that you choose to say no more...but equally unfortunate that you choose to discuss until someone has an opposing opinion. I thought you felt we should keep our minds open.

I'm sorry that you feel that expressing one's opinion means they are argumentative. I'm glad to hear that you've had warm evenings in the British Isles which allow you to watch MUTS. For the record I have no experience on ship on a like itinerary. But contrary to your previous statement that we should all fold our hands and play bingo, I've found other things to do - like be social with my fellow passengers - besides watching TV when I travel. I don't think it quite fair to infer that those of us who are not interested in MUTS are somehow behind the times. The double edged sword that is Princess is that it offers diversions that appeal to such differing tastes - and that means that there are so many differing tastes on one ship.

Logistically speaking, it seems very bad business to spend the money to put a permanent outdoor movie theater on a ship that will spend a good deal of its time in colder climates where using this theater is inconsistent. Right, Princess does not keep their ships in dedicated climates, but if a ship is going to spend almost half its time in Alasaka where outdoor nightime movies aren't going to be used, there is no business case for adding the hardware. If the cruise line does so, in order to realize enough revenue to offset the expenditure, the cruise fare goes up, whether one is on that ship with unused MUTS or not.

Finally, anyone with any sense would not buy a product that doesn't suit their needs - thanks for your suggestion to pick another cruise line. If Princess stops offering an acceptable product, I certainly will do that - but I don't think that's going to happen - they've not been in business for over 40 years because they're into alienating those who enjoy their product.

Modern, up to date - all excellent things that appeal to the new cruiser, but when that modern, up to date feature is of a lower quality, we should express our opinions. From what I've heard and experienced about Anytime Dining, the experience is inferior and there's always a waitlist for Traditional. Like Anytime Dining, MUTS isn't for everyone. It's unfortunate that we all can't accept and buy the excellent product that already exists without insisting that it change without thought or reason.

We won't add more fuel to the fire but in the event that "Princess is watching," we're also two who will go out of our way to avoid MUTS.

Kathi & Leo

It is interesting that your feeble attempt to degrade and dismiss my point of view involved hot air balloons since I have worked on many ground/chase crews over the years and have logged many hours as a passenger and even a few as a PIT. (Pilot in Training) on several balloons.

But I must ask, why the attempt to insult me? Although a pathetic attempt at best, it is clear you did attempt to do such. I did not insult you, unless you find a differing point of view backed up with the example taken to the extreme to make the point an insult, and if that is the case, for you own good, you may want to look into why that is. Everyone has their own little issues, there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Perhaps you want a cruise ship to be a giant floating generic super mall at sea, I don’t. If I want to go to the Mall, I will do so; however, it is not what I seek on a cruise. If I want to see a movie under the stars, I’ll go to the drive in and in doing such, far more intriguing options for enjoyment while watching the movie are possible than what can occur with MUTS. J

If that I know what I like and don’t like makes me close minded, so be it. However, you should know that your version of what is closed-minded when applied to me is about as accurate as you saying 2+2= 3,175.9

Being open-minded does not mean one must follow the herd and knowing what one likes, dislike, want and don’t want on a cruise or anything else in life for that matter, does not make one closed-minded.

Oh, by the way, just as I know that when at a drive-in movie there are options for entertainment other than watching the movie, I also know while on a cruise there are many options available in how I can spend my time beyond what Bingo and "boring old shows" offer! J

I would have been happy to continue to discuss this topic *IF* your previous response to me had been rational, non-argumentative and personal as you choose to make it. I have no problem with varying opinions, just rudeness. You appeared to be fine with Rougewave’s absurd rant, yet wanted to target in on me. I have no time for that.

So let’s put that in the past and move beyond it. I agree refitting ships where MUTS does not work right or sound right would be sad. I have only seen it in operation on the CB. It fits in and seems appropriate there. However if it is going to ruin the design of the ship or the sound is going to be intrusive, it should be by-passed.

I wanted to point out here that all I did was start a thread inquiring IF Other Ships are adding it. Here is my reason. We Love Princess, we have booked the Island Princess for the Panama Canal for the winter 2010. We also like RCCL’s Radiance class ships and I started to think that maybe we should have considered comparing the two. If the Island had MUTS that would be that :p As a result I began to wonder if the island had MUTS, hence I posted my question.

You don’t know me, and I don’t know you and chances are we will never meet. There are also members here on CC who do know me, and I'm sure many that know you, so please don’t make assumptions such as ‘like to watch TV on a cruise’. We too spend the majority of our time socializing, even at MUTS. Not everyone has the same tastes.

Happy Sailing,

Anne

I am going to just agree to disagree with you, It is clear we have very diffrent taste :)

Have a Nice Day :D

BTW - I avoid malls whenever possible

It is interesting that your feeble attempt to degrade and dismiss my point of view involved hot air balloons since I have worked on many ground/chase crews over the years and have logged many hours as a passenger and even a few as a PIT. (Pilot in Training) on several balloons.

But I must ask, why the attempt to insult me? Although a pathetic attempt at best, it is clear you did attempt to do such. I did not insult you, unless you find a differing point of view backed up with the example taken to the extreme to make the point an insult, and if that is the case, for you own good, you may want to look into why that is. Everyone has their own little issues, there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Perhaps you want a cruise ship to be a giant floating generic super mall at sea, I don’t. If I want to go to the Mall, I will do so; however, it is not what I seek on a cruise. If I want to see a movie under the stars, I’ll go to the drive in and in doing such, far more intriguing options for enjoyment while watching the movie are possible than what can occur with MUTS. J

If that I know what I like and don’t like makes me close minded, so be it. However, you should know that your version of what is closed-minded when applied to me is about as accurate as you saying 2+2= 3,175.9

Being open-minded does not mean one must follow the herd and knowing what one likes, dislike, want and don’t want on a cruise or anything else in life for that matter, does not make one closed-minded.

Oh, by the way, just as I know that when at a drive-in movie there are options for entertainment other than watching the movie, I also know while on a cruise there are many options available in how I can spend my time beyond what Bingo and "boring old shows" offer! J

I would have been happy to continue to discuss this topic *IF* your previous response to me had been rational, non-argumentative and personal as you choose to make it. I have no problem with varying opinions, just rudeness. You appeared to be fine with Rougewave’s absurd rant, yet wanted to target in on me. I have no time for that.

So let’s put that in the past and move beyond it. I agree refitting ships where MUTS does not work right or sound right would be sad. I have only seen it in operation on the CB. It fits in and seems appropriate there. However if it is going to ruin the design of the ship or the sound is going to be intrusive, it should be by-passed.

I wanted to point out here that all I did was start a thread inquiring IF Other Ships are adding it. Here is my reason. We Love Princess, we have booked the Island Princess for the Panama Canal for the winter 2010. We also like RCCL’s Radiance class ships and I started to think that maybe we should have considered comparing the two. If the Island had MUTS that would be that :p As a result I began to wonder if the island had MUTS, hence I posted my question.

You don’t know me, and I don’t know you and chances are we will never meet. There are also members here on CC who do know me, and I'm sure many that know you, so please don’t make assumptions such as ‘like to watch TV on a cruise’. We too spend the majority of our time socializing, even at MUTS. Not everyone has the same tastes.

Happy Sailing,

Anne

I see, saying my point of view is hot air and is an absurd rant is not an insult or argumentative in your perspective! But help me please, I am trying to resolve the disconnect between the tone of your posts toward me and your icon.

Regarding my post that you say is full of hot air and a rant, although perhaps crudely constructed, ... well, does the term metaphore mean anything to you?

Please, when you can explain to me how your post (#31), was not a peculiar rant with over the top statements, we'll talk about it.

The comments you made were uncalled for. There is a major dissimilarity between MUTS and the other things you were suggesting.

Anne

I am going to just agree to disagree with you, It is clear we have very diffrent taste :)

Have a Nice Day :D

BTW - I avoid malls whenever possible

Yep, we sure do, you want a movie screen outdoors on a cruise ship and I do not. MUTS and its ilk have at best; low resolution and blaring sound. Gee, give me two helpings of that please.

You have made it clear that anyone that does not agree with you is closed minded. We certainly have different ideas in that regard. Not sure what else I have said that provided you with information to know how divergent our tastes may be, but Ok!

I on the other hand, I don't want the "Mall Experience" in any form on a cruise ship; or at the ports either! I avoid all of the chain stores like Diamonds International and its kind. Even if I did want the abomination that is MUTS I would want the movies to be newer than the ones offered at a 3rd tier cheapo movie theaters, which seems not to be the case.

Aesthetics do have value to me and to ruin the beautiful lines of a ship like the Island or Coral Princess with MUTS is dumb! Moreover, for what, to placate the people so lacking in imagination that they need a movie to keep themselves entertained on a cruise ship?

Thanks for wishing me to “Have a good day”… I am sure you mean it with much heartfelt sincerity. Whatever the motivation of your well wishes towards me, you can be assured A good day I will have, I most always do! Life is grand and I live it with zest, spice and gusto! I am truly blessed in so many ways.

Archived