Anyone going on PG Sept 6 08?

We're booked on the Paul Gauguin for Sept 6 and would like to know if anyone else is going? What good excursions are and how snorkeling works (we can't dive). Last winter we met a bunch of cruise critic people on an excursion and would like to know them ahead of time this time.

This is our first trip to the islands and are very excited.

I searched high and low for a pre-exisitng roll call for this cruise and was amazed when I couldn't find one. Surely you won't be alone on this cruise, After all, Cousteau will be on-board.

Hello, is there anybody out there, just nod if you can....

DH and I will be onboard and will be spending as much time as we can diving. We started diving after spending much of our vacation times snorkeling. This is our first trip to French Polynesia and we are also very excited. Since our excursions are all centered around diving I can't help you out in that direction.

How comfortable are you two in the water? If you are swimmers snorkeling should be a breeze. Normal snorkeling (not drift snorkeling over coral) is simply floating with a mask on your face, looking down in the water, and breathing through a tube. With fins it doesn't seem to take alot of physical stamina. Pretty soon you forget you are even breathing through a tube because you are too busy looking at the beautiful sealife.

DH and I always wore light weight wetsuits snorkeling which provided protection from the sun and added a little buoyancy. You might want to look into snorkeling vests if you are not comfortable in the water.

Also, see if you can practice snorkeling in a pool precruise or perhaps in the PG's pool before snorkeling in a lagoon. That way you can get experience snorkeling without worrying about harming coral (or it harming you) or currents...

Doesn't it seem like it's taking forever September to arrive?

Hi, Glad to know someone else! Actually I almost have my scuba certification but have discovered that if I go below 3 meters I can't breathe so I just snorkel and have a wonderful time -- actually on the Great Barrier reef I saw more snorkeling than diving. I probably should finish up my certification and then could just go shallow.

I've heard that if you dive off the ship you really only go one tank per day, are you going for local dive tours?

You're right, time always moves more slowly when you're waiting! Have you been cruising much before? This will be our 5th.

So what do you need to know about how the snorkeling "works" on the PG? They provide equipment, including a vest if you want one. If you have your own mask, then bring it, but don't bother with the fins. Some people take rash guard shirts, I just use a t-shirt.

You can't snorkel from the ship itself, but there is an opportunity for snorkeling on the motu day at Taha'a, from the shore. There is also some snorkeling from the beach at the Bora Bora motu, where tenders regularly ferry passengers in afternoons at that port. The beach is very nice there, the snorkeling is farther out, and there's a current, so just be aware.

There are snorkeling related excursions on Bora Bora, Moorea. I've not been to the Cook's or Huahine. But I've heard the snorkeling in the Cooks is good. I've been trying to find out the best opportunity on Rangiroa, since I'll be there in December, but so far not sure--since you're there overnight, the "Blue Lagoon" mentioned elsewhere in this forum might work for you--a private operator.

• 2 weeks later...

Algeratutor and CelticEyes you are not alone!

D.H. and I will be to celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. ;)

On that day P.G will be moored at Taha'a. We will be celebrating with a bottle of champagne on the beach!

Love to snorkel, we are looking forward to the fabulous lagoons.

Algeratutor and CelticEyes you are not alone!

D.H. and I will be to celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. ;)

On that day P.G will be moored at Taha'a. We will be celebrating with a bottle of champagne on the beach!

Love to snorkel, we are looking forward to the fabulous lagoons.

Tangakid,

Congratulations on your 40th! What a beautiful way to celebrate your anniversary. The days seem to be crawling by slower the closer we get to September. DH and I love to dive and snorkel are also looking forward to the fantastic lagoons and marine life.

TangaKid:

Congrats on your 40th, we are traveling for our 30th, just a bit behind you. Maybe we can meet up and go snorkling, it sure sounds fun and relaxing -- nothing to do but swim, snorkel and relax! We've had a hectic summer so it will be doubly nice.

Hi Wendy

It is a bit disappointing that we can't snorkle off the ship -- guess I had anticipated doing that when I heard that there was a sports deck. What is available directly from the ship? Kayaks? Are they included or extra? You have really been on the PG alot, must be good or you wouldn't keep going back. I'm really looking forward to it

Archived