art auctions-read the NY times today

m steve

This is too funny. A Regent passenger paid $73,000, non-refundable, for two pieces of art because he says Park West told him they were worth $100,000 and now he's upset. Chances are, the following week Park West is going to tell someone that the same prints are worth $73,000.

Only one reason to buy art anywhere- because you love it.

We have heard time and again that the art auction connessions onboard cruise ships consistently produce far more revenue than any other department.

There is only one reason why the art auction connessions exist on any cruise ships- because your fellow passengers cannot stop buying the stuff.

I sincerely thank all of them for subsidizing my cruise. But then again, I also thank those who buy gold by the inch and $10 watches.

Here's a link to the article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/arts/design/16crui.html

I have purchased art on Princess, which does its own auctions - it doesn't use Park West. But I've only purchased originals, not prints or lithos, only by lesser known artists, for under $1,000.00, and only to hang in my home, not for "investment". Princess includes the frame when you purchase a piece. If you buy a print, the frame is usually worth more than the "art".

I was on an "art connoisseur" criuse on Princess a few years ago. They had several of their artists on board who spoke briefly about their pieces and gave demonstartions. It was interesting and entertaining. There were also dinners and parties for the artists and invited passengers. (Not me.:( ) One lady purchased what was said to be an original Rembrandt litho to "hang in her bathroom". I saw several pieces sell for $30,000.00 and up.

To me, that's crazy. But what do I know? If I bought one of those maybe I'd get invited to the parties.

To me, that's crazy. But what do I know? If I bought one of those maybe I'd get invited to the parties.

A lot of passengers were miffed on a HAL cruise a while back when it was reported that Park West took over the Crow's Nest for private art auctions for their big spenders. Apparently they reserved it for the entire cruise, and no one else could get in there. They had invited a bunch of their big spenders on that particular cruise ... all expenses paid ... and wanted to provide a nice relaxing venue for them to part with their money.

I guess art auctions are big money, and if people didn't attend them, they wouldn't have them. So, I guess we can't blame Park West for bringing all that "art" ... I prefer to call most of it crap ... onboard the ships. But I sure don't like some of their practices, and some of what I read about them. For example, they will pit two bidders against each other ... especially if they know that these two bidders both have a lot of money and both like the same sort of pieces. I actually heard a couple of Park West employees talking about this technique in the Ocean Bar one night. The one guy was telling the other (I assume he was training him as an auctioneer) ... "make sure when you have the private showings that you invite both Joe and John to the SAME showing." Those two guys hate each other and they will not allow the other to walk away with a piece they want. They will keep trying to outbid each other until one eventually folds and the other gets the piece at a very inflated price." I was sitting in the booth to the side of these guys ... in the smoking section ... and they couldn't see me there. I think that's why they were talking so freely.

I also like how Park West will no longer let you scarf up the free champagne at their auctions anymore. Now, they want your personal info first ... you have to register and receive a bidder number ... before you can have a glass of champagne. I guess the purpose in that is probably that most people won't register (I know I wouldn't) just for a free glass of that swill they call champagne. So, this way they know they only have the more "serious" person actually going ahead and registering.

I never could understand how anyone could spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on art while on a cruise. I don't know ... but if I were a serious art collector and wanted to buy a lot of pieces to grace the walls of my home, I would think the smart thing to do would be to go to a gallery at home ... or even to a prestigious art college and get the pieces there. At the gallery, they're unlikely to want to shaft you because they're thinking long-term relationship here ... not one shot on a cruise ship. And with the school, since those artists are not really well-known yet, you're almost guaranteed to get the best prices ... and then if those artists in training at the schools are good ... maybe when they die, their pieces will increase in value a hundred fold. One can always hope, right? :) ... the pieces increasing in value, I mean ... not that they die. :)

But I doubt very much anything you buy with Park West is gonna increase in value ... in fact, you'll be lucky if it's even worth what they tell you it is when you originally buy it. :(

I'd sooner go to the "gold by the inch" table. At least I won't spend as much money there. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am not an art expert but I do know that one doesn't lean expensive artwork against railings and walls where folks can kick it or brush against it. Nor do they store it all higgeldy piggeldy on huge carts meant for furniture where they rub one another and are exposed to all the elements.

I once "won" a work of art for "free"; by the time the explained framing and shipping costs, I would have spent over $500 for "free" art. I told them no thanks.

Amazing what some people will do for a free drink. I have never set foot anywhere near one of those art autions, and never will. I go on a cruise to relax, visit the ports and just enjoy the sun and fresh air. Do people really think they are getting the bargain of a life time? They are all on there to make a fast buck at our expense. I wish the cruise lines would do away with ALL that junk. What happened to the good old days when a cruise was just that?

Let the BUYER BEWARE. How well this applies to Park West. Years ago there were some good deals on art that was auctioned off but those days are long gone. I have found that Park West has been over priced for years

What amazes me is that they have a high value art auction for high net worth clients ( ie - Rotterdam last summer ) and they make enough to be able to provide suites at no charge to these people. --- "theres one born every minute"

Thank you for the link to the article. I've often wondered about leaning art against the rail and the possibility of it being knocked over. It didn't make sense.

DH has problems walking and one time he did trip over one of the legs of an easle which was in the walkway by the atrium -- painting fell over -- we just glared at the people in charge. They ran forward to say something. I then said that it was ridiclous to block pathways when there are handicapped people on board. The guy picked up the painting and walked away.

DH has problems walking and one time he did trip over one of the legs of an easle which was in the walkway by the atrium -- painting fell over -- we just glared at the people in charge. They ran forward to say something. I then said that it was ridiclous to block pathways when there are handicapped people on board. The guy picked up the painting and walked away.

:D I can remember being on board a Princess ship where hallways and corridors were cluttered with this crap. I don't mind if there are the art auctions but I don't like it to have so in my face. Art should be discreet.......well anyway....

There are auctions on every sailing so about 50 a year per ship times 14 HAL ships, plus other cruise lines so each LIMITED EDITION is offered a minimum of 700 times a year on HAL alone. That is really amazing when the numbered print might be one of 100. It seems the same art is on every cruise ship I have ever been on.

And if we ever looked carefully at the sports memorabilia we we would have even more to question. Especially stuff signed by the reticent Joe Dimaggio, now deceased.

:) Kind of like the Caribbean jewelers who warn if you don't buy your tanzinite now you may miss out. There's only one mine where they have found it and limited supply,,,,,,, blah blah blah. :) I bought some because I love the color and the design of the pieces; not to fund my retirement.

If you love the piece of art and it matches your carpet, buy it. Don't plan on paying for the kid's college from the appreciation in value.

I absolutely adore the fun stuff I have bought at these art auctions over the years (all in the $100 - $350 range). It was better than spending my money on souvenirs and T-shirts, because I enjoy the artwork in my house every single day!

But on every cruise, someone buys the Peter Max, the Picasso, the Dali, or the Erte and I wonder if they are thinking clearly or simply being carried away with the impulse of the moment!

Never buy something without researching it, should be the lesson here. I have a friend who loves bidding on art, but she always knows what her limit is, and she just buys what she likes and figures she's spending more for the experience than the value of the painting. I'm not filthy rich, so I just avoid them completely.

After reading the article, I'm reminded how they have seminars on board where they tell you how good an investment diamonds that you buy in the shops at each port are. In reality, diamonds are a very poor investment; they begin to lose value as soon as you buy them. But people eat that stuff up.

I absolutely adore the fun stuff I have bought at these art auctions over the years (all in the $100 - $350 range). It was better than spending my money on souvenirs and T-shirts, because I enjoy the artwork in my house every single day!

I think you have a good handle on things. Tourists spend $billions on useless souveniers. Enjoy your purchases.

There are auctions on every sailing so about 50 a year per ship times 14 HAL ships, plus other cruise lines so each LIMITED EDITION is offered a minimum of 700 times a year on HAL alone. That is really amazing when the numbered print might be one of 100. It seems the same art is on every cruise ship I have ever been on.

And if we ever looked carefully at the sports memorabilia we we would have even more to question.

Many of the pieces offered are "examples" that are not carried off, but rather framed and shipped from Michigan when dealing with PW. When the "edition" runs out, they have to pull the offering, otherwise they are committing fraud.

I'm not a fan of buying art on cruises, nor am I a fan of what they call "auctions". I do consider charges of fraud to be serious, and your post seems to me to border on that charge.

I wish the cruise lines would do away with ALL that junk. What happened to the good old days when a cruise was just that?

Why should they? I wouldn't if I were HAL. After all, clearly a lot of people attend those auctions, so obviously passengers want them.

What we need to wish for is that people had more sense and avoided those onboard auctions like the plague. Believe me, if that was the case, and Park West wasn't selling anything onboard, they'd drop them. HAL wouldn't have to do a thing.

You think Park West gets passage on the ship for nothing? Believe me, that art auctioner's cabin is paid for. You think when Park West uses the Ocean Bar to peddle that crap that they don't pay a rental fee? Or, maybe in fact they don't. Maybe their contract just calls for them to give HAL a cut of everything they sell. Either way, there's big money in them art auctions and that's because we, the passengers, are idiots.

We are the ones who need to send those Park West people and their "art" overboard ... but not attending their events or buying a thing from them. That's the only way you will see the art auctions at sea become a thing of the past.

Blue skies ...

--rita

One lady purchased what was said to be an original Rembrandt litho to "hang in her bathroom". I saw several pieces sell for $30,000.00 and up.

Most likely this was an etching, not a lithograph. If it was a lithograph, it was not done by Rembrandt as lithography wasn't yet invented.

I am not an art expert but I do know that one doesn't lean expensive artwork against railings and walls where folks can kick it or brush against it. Nor do they store it all higgeldy piggeldy on huge carts meant for furniture where they rub one another and are exposed to all the elements.

A lot of what they offer (original graphics, reproduction cells, etc.) are "examples" and not what you actually "buy". From my observations, they treat the "one of a kind" works better, excluding your "exposed to all of the elements" since I'm not sure what you mean.

Archived