Off the boat 3 days & still rocking

flowersx2

I'm VERY sensitive to motion and took bonine & ginger the whole time. I never got sick and we were all THRILLED but now we've been home for 3 days and I'm still rocking. I went to the doctor yesterday to make sure it wasn't an ear infection and she said to continue taking Bonine and also take Sudafed. There was alot of fluid in the ears but no infection. Any suggestions on how to get back to normal??

I do that all the time. I take Bonine the whole trip, and continue it for at least 3 days after. I think it happens to a lot of people, yet others never feel a thing. I have vertigo, so I know I have to take it for a few days after I get home. Sounds like the doctor is right!

I'm VERY sensitive to motion and took bonine & ginger the whole time. I never got sick and we were all THRILLED but now we've been home for 3 days and I'm still rocking. I went to the doctor yesterday to make sure it wasn't an ear infection and she said to continue taking Bonine and also take Sudafed. There was alot of fluid in the ears but no infection. Any suggestions on how to get back to normal??

It will go away, it's called Mal de Debarque. I usually have it for maybe a day after getting home and then an extra day or 2 just in the shower.

i do not have any suggestions but i wanted to let ya know you are not alone.. my dr says my equilibrium gets put off for a few days and it takes a while to get it back.. i found blow drying my hair in the mirror or turning my head fast was the worst.......... i constantly felt like i was rocking a young baby.. i believe this lasts for me each cruise almost a month.. but it wears and one day you wont even realize its gone ;)

I've had that only once out of 7 or 8 cruises........but it lasted over a month. :eek: Unfortunately, my 4th floor office had floor to ceiling windows - I had to cover them tightly or I'd get seasick at my desk! I think it's weird because I've never been seasick while onboard a ship.

I get this everytime.... really bad the first week and then just in the shower for a month..... It really sucks!!!:rolleyes:

You're the second person to mention it happening in the shower. I wonder what that's about?:eek:

Follow the doctors suggestions, would be a good way to start.

You're the second person to mention it happening in the shower. I wonder what that's about?:eek:

I'm one of the 'shower' people, and I think it's the motion of having your head tilted backwards and eyes closed with a mental picture of the relatively small space I'm in when washing my hair.

I'm one of the 'shower' people, and I think it's the motion of having your head tilted backwards and eyes closed with a mental picture of the relatively small space I'm in when washing my hair.

It is so funny to hear someone else say shower. Maybe you're right about the eyes closed and head tilted, because it's definitely worse then. I continue to take the Bonine as stated and in a couple of days have always been back to normal...and "my daughter the doctor" says Bonine is a "take til effect" kinda medication and everyone is different.

I always got Dizzy after a cruise..Never during a cruise haha...! funny! but true...I always take a dramamine for few days! it works for me! :D

I've had that only once out of 7 or 8 cruises........but it lasted over a month. :eek: Unfortunately, my 4th floor office had floor to ceiling windows - I had to cover them tightly or I'd get seasick at my desk! I think it's weird because I've never been seasick while onboard a ship.

I get it pretty bad for 4 or 5 days afterward. I was researching online for solutions last time it happened to me and read that people who tend to get "land sickness" afterward usually don't get seasick.

I'm lucky I've never gotten nauseous from it - just dizzy, swaying, and hard to concentrate I feel so off-balance.

First cruise took around five days to get back to normal. Second took about that long since it was 15 years later. The third and fourth I noticed no difference at all. Fifth, sixth, and seventh are booked and I expect to be the same...

I watch Mythbusters and they have tried the ginger pill cure and it didn't work. The only way it did work was when their mind tricked them believing they took a seasickness remedy and it worked. Hever, when they knew what they were taking it didn't work and when it was a blind trial it did (and it was a placebo!)

I don't know if it can work, but the mind over matter might actually work.....

I am going to warn you now that as soon as the vertigo clears you will begin to experience PCD......Post Cruise Depression. There is only one cure for this. Book another cruise, LOL.

Seriously, I hope that you feel better soon.

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope you are better soon!

Seriously, you should book another cruise. As soon as you feel better, you'll start wishing you were back on the ship. It happens to all of us.:D :D :D

• 1 year later...
We were on the Legend. One night was really bad but pretty smooth the rest of the trip. I'm sure if I got back on board I would be fine. :)

Hey. Are you feeling better now? How long did it take to retuen to normal? Just very curious as am in day 3 now and still feelinga little unsteady. Looks like it could be a few more days tho! :)

Archived