Silver Moon Cruise Tours

2Canucks

Just Curious....did you sail on the new Silver Moon III or were your experiences from the original Silver Moon (since sold and renamed) and the Silver Moon II? I'm curious what the Silver Moon III is like as we haven't sailed that one yet.

Actually, I can't remember. Sorry! Last time we were on the 12 passenger cat about two years ago, the time before was a year prior on the larger cat. When did they purchase the new one, what year? That might assist in figuring out which ones we were on.

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for the info - i e-mailed them days ago asking about a certain day and they never contacted me.. I ended up booking with someone else

Hi

We will be there next March and are wondering what other company you booked with and if you liked them?

Barb

Lsimon - Wonderful pictures. What type of camera did you use?

I was so disappointed with the underwater pictures we took when we were snorkeling off the coast of St. John, that I think it's time to look into a REAL underwater camera.

Lsimon - Wonderful pictures. What type of camera did you use?

I was so disappointed with the underwater pictures we took when we were snorkeling off the coast of St. John, that I think it's time to look into a REAL underwater camera.

The underwater pictures we took prior to this year were done with an older Minolta Dimage Xi camera and their underwater case - both from around 2003. I got a newer fujifilm camera and case this year - camera almost for free after rebates (prior model being phased out and with purchase of a printer I was going to buy anyways) and the case off ebay for $40. Best bet is to look on ebay for a marine case for a popular brand (canon, panasonic, fuji, etc) that is in good shape and a year or two out of date - should be able to find one for $50 or so if you look for a month or two, then buy the camera used on eBay as well. Might be able to get a nice set-up for about $100 v. $400 or more for camera and marine case new.

Also, correcting the color with a photo editing program is very important for underwater pictures. I discovered this a while back and but some details and examples on my photo site here:

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/2211051_kYMXq#162491389_BCEyY

The difference in the before and after pictures are pretty amazing.

Also, correcting the color with a photo editing program is very important for underwater pictures. I discovered this a while back and but some details and examples on my photo site here:

I'm looking at the Olympus 1030, but I may have to hunt around ebay for a while.

Looks like I not only have to get a new camera, BUT I have to get photoshop as well!

Thanks!

Given the rave reviews on Cruise Critic, I emailed Sivermoon to check on their availability in January when we will be there. I received an email from them the next day that they only have the 24 person catamaran tour available. I wanted to see if you guys thought it would be too crowded. Thank you so much for your help. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Given the rave reviews on Cruise Critic, I emailed Silvermoon to check on their availability in January when we will be there. I received an email from them the next day that they only have the 24 person catamaran tour available. I wanted to see if you guys thought it would be too crowded. Thank you so much for your help. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I've only done the 12 person sail - but I have talked to people on the ship, and read reviews on these boards, from some taking the 24 person sail and it sounds like they had no complaints and enjoyed their day as much as we enjoyed ours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm excited to have found this thread!

I've been planning on doing glory tours but after finding out that payment is due in full upon booking and reading several not so great reviews I started looking for other options.

The cost is approximately the same, the difference being lunch and drinks are provided with silvermoon. And the entire excursion just looks more relaxing! Swimming with the turtles was really my main draw for wanting to book glorytours anyhow.

To answer the question about boat size, according to the website, the 12person cat is 44ft long and the 24person cat is 45ft long. I wouldn't let size worry you though. Just b/c they can book up to 24 ppl doesn't mean they neccessarily will.

Now..if March would just hurry up and get here!

...To answer the question about boat size, according to the website, the 12person cat is 44ft long and the 24person cat is 45ft long. I wouldn't let size worry you though. Just b/c they can book up to 24 ppl doesn't mean they neccessarily will....

Definitely don't worry. Most companies will squeeze on a lot more passengers on the same size boats. Silver Moon runs a super quality excursion. Now as I've said, all the similar trips go to the same place to see the turtles and snorkel the reef and nearby wreck, there just are not tons of options in Barbados, so these spots might be a bit crowded no matter who you do the trip with. But the boat, crew and what else you do on your trip set Silver Moon apart from the rest. I don't know that I've ever read a complaint from anyone about their trip - and that says a lot as there are many people who only post if they have a complaint.

We are booked on the Silvermoon for Thanksgiving Day! We can't wait. Quick question though. . .there are 6 of us, ranging from age 11 to 63. I am a little worried that my parents will have trouble getting on and off the catamaran. Will it be difficult for them?

I haven't taken this exact tour yet.....but if they allow elderly to come, then they usually have easy accommodations. Most boats have some sort of plank to walk across to get on and off the boat.

We went on a tour last year with my 79 year old uncle, and my mom. (I won't mention her age...she would kill me :) ) They made it VERY easy for people of all ages. If a 79 year old can do it, almost anyone can! It was their first time snorkeling ever, and they had a blast. Especially with turtles!

They would just jump off the boat, and when returning, there is usually a ladder, and the crew will help them get back on the boat.

If they like swimming, then don't let them chicken out. It is so much fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Im very interested in this tour. It will be me and my wife and out two daughters. They will be 7 & 2 for this trip. My main concern is that my oldest daughter is a bit of a drama queen, and when I tread water with her she thinks she is gonna drown or something & starts to get real crazy. This makes it hard for me tread water with her. When we were in the Caymans with Native Way they allowed her to stay on the ladder & snorkel by just wearing a mask & barely putting her face in the water. My question is do you think the tour guides would be ok with this?

I have a few questions myself.

Is the water choppy? I've always wanted to go on a snorkeling trip but have been hesitant as I am prone to very bad sea sickness. On a trip from Naples to Capri Italy I threw up on the boat, and am not looking for a repeat.

Also, is there a bathroom on the boat? 5 hours is a long time...

We did this excursion in August and I can tell you that they are very accommodating. If you are concerned about the elderly or the younger ones, I would suggest simply sending them an email and pose your concern to them. The tour guides were extremely helpful and I'd guess the only time they wouldn't accommodate you is if it would be a liability issue for them. They work for their tips!! ; )

I don't recall the water being choppy, but you are on a boat, so there is definitely movement. Try taking ginger root capsules (500 mg one hour before travel then 500 mg every 2-4 hours as necessary). That's worked for me!! I think every catamaran we've been on had a bathroom. I just don't drink much liquid before we go so I don't have to use them.

You will enjoy this excursion!

thank you everyone for the reviews on this excursion!!! I am hoping to book on the AOS in May and will definately make this my choice for BArbados!!

LSimon thanks for the photos..they are great! the clarity is amazing. I am hoping they have room for me and my sister on the 12 person...I think it is such an elegant touch you seem(from the pics) to use real dishes and glasses for lunch! I have done a few catamaran tours and none of them had that!

Just received a response from Silver Moon saying that they do not reserve unless your 6 months or less out. Is this something new?

Nope. I tried to book December's excursion back in April and received the same response. I just marked my calendar for the 6 month mark and resent the booking exactly 6 months out. However, I must say, with the economy I also did not have trouble adding a person at 4 1/2 mos out and then again at 6 weeks out. I know they usually sell out so I wouldn't delay too long past the 6 month date to book but w/ the economy I wouldn't stress too much over it yet. Hopefully the economy will turn around and all aspects of cruising, shore ex, merchants, etc. will see business pick up!!!

We're booked on the catamaran that holds 24 people. Could someone that's been on both advise if it's worth that extra $23 pp to go to the 12-person cat? Would the experience really be that much different?

I've only been snorkeling once, and do not know how to go deeper than the (1 foot) air tube. Would I totally miss the cool things to see on the shipwreck portion of the sail? The children sailing with me have never snorkeled.

I've only been snorkeling once, and do not know how to go deeper than the (1 foot) air tube. Would I totally miss the cool things to see on the shipwreck portion of the sail? The children sailing with me have never snorkeled.

Not at all. Very few people dive down. well over 90% of the people snorkeling on most excursions just see what they can from the surface with their snorkels above water.

Not at all. Very few people dive down. well over 90% of the people snorkeling on most excursions just see what they can from the surface with their snorkels above water.

Thanks you for your response. I asked them when they came home from school and they said "No way!" Even DH is reluctant to snorkel, and having to wear glasses to see anything doesn't help. I must admit to being a bit scared of all the sea creatures! Maybe they'll try it on the pirate ship excursion.

The underwater pictures we took prior to this year were done with an older Minolta Dimage Xi camera and their underwater case - both from around 2003.

Your after pictures are amazing. We have a Minolta Dimage also that we purchased in 2004. What did you do to get your pictures to come to life? I have the full version of Photoshop... so any quick tips would be great!

I've only been snorkeling once, and do not know how to go deeper than the (1 foot) air tube. Would I totally miss the cool things to see on the shipwreck portion of the sail? The children sailing with me have never snorkeled.[/quote

The waters are very clear. Most snorklers snorkel like you would! Go and have fun..you will love it!

Your after pictures are amazing. We have a Minolta Dimage also that we purchased in 2004. What did you do to get your pictures to come to life? I have the full version of Photoshop... so any quick tips would be great!

Oh, sorry, never mind, I see on your link that you describe how! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived