Any Tips for Booking Air Separately?

tessar

We live in the middle of nowhere and I'll need to book our air separately from our Viking or Grand Circle Tour.

Any suggestions would helpful.

Should we plan on a pre-tour to guarantee no luggage problems?

When we flew to Hawaii, we didn't do a pre-tour and it took 3 days for our luggage to find us.

We always try to fly in at least one day early, frequently several days. This gives us a better chance to get there in time for the beginning of cruise or tour. It also allows time for our luggage to catch up with us if necessary.

I always book my own air and go at least 1 or 2 days early. I like to get over that jet lag. I look things up on Orbitz,get the best deal and than go to the airlines web site directly to book it. That way I can look at everything. Be sure to allow 2 hours for your connections or you won't get your luggage.I also try very hard to avoid Heathrow,it is a nightmare.Frankfort and Amsterdam are fine,I've never had a problem at either one.We live in the sticks too and I love it.

I'm surprised you need to bool our own air with Grand Circle. There trips are all priced with included air. You may have to get to one of their gateways if you ar ein the middle of nowhere but they should be able to help you with that also.

I also booked our own air for our river cruise. I have to second the need for 2 hours for a German connection because you have to reclaim luggage and go through security a second time. Also coming back to the US is a nightmare and with 1 1/2 hours between flights (the airline moved me to an earlier flight), I literally ran from security to our gate and just made it. 2 hours would have been better.

Archived