NCL Dress Code---Rigid...NOT Freestyle!! Don't Wear Shorts!!

gnial131

Normally we have people complaining about how their dinner was ruined because someone wore shorts to the dining room and NCL should enforce their rules.

Can someone explain to me how a dinner can be ruined simply by knowing that a complete stranger at another table is wearing shorts vs. long pants on their legs, neither of which can be seen since their legs are under the table?

Is it that bare legs are considered offensive, or the fact that the party wearing the shorts has "broken the rules" - and rules must never be broken?

Can someone explain to me how a dinner can be ruined simply by knowing that a complete stranger at another table is wearing shorts vs. long pants on their legs, neither of which can be seen since their legs are under the table?

Is it that bare legs are considered offensive, or the fact that the party wearing the shorts has "broken the rules" - and rules must never be broken?

It's a complete mystery to me LOL.

SID---I don't know how to tell you this but there are sparks flying out of my computer!!! :eek:

iheartbda---you must remember that post a few weeks ago where someone said 'free' is the root word of 'freestyle' so they shouldn't charge extra. That was a hoot!

SID---I don't know how to tell you this but there are sparks flying out of my computer!!! :eek:

I have no idea I could do that....and I agree what someone wears doesn't effect my food...how they smell is a completely different story....

The same people who complain about what people wear think nothing of swimming in perfume.... I prefer a clean smell. You don't need perfume if you wash....and me in the nude, I shower before I go to dinner...

I find this thread interesting, it5 shows a number of different perspectives about cruising comfort. But the bottom line is that the dress rules sre easy to find on the net and in NCLs printed material. Its not hard to find or follow. With that said NCL is my line of choice because of the casual dress code. I love shorts, jeans, and tees. Got a couple of pairs of khakis that look nice and are comfortable for dinner time. I am on the cruise for MY vacation to rest and relax. If you like formal then have a great time dressing up, enjoy your cruise dont let my lower class attitude ruin your good time. As for those people who are like me well maybe be can share a beer at the pub some cruise, cuz im gonna have a great time with the one I love (my dw). Celebrate choices and happy cruising

I think this is well put and says it all. Thank you Alzaman and I hope to have a drink with you sometime to celebrate our choices and have a happy cruise.

Kim

I have no idea I could do that....and I agree what someone wears doesn't effect my food...how they smell is a completely different story....

The same people who complain about what people wear think nothing of swimming in perfume.... I prefer a clean smell. You don't need perfume if you wash....and me in the nude, I shower before I go to dinner...

On what do you base the premise that people who object to others looking sloppy in a restaurant "swim" in perfume? Oh, you made that up. OK. Gotcha. :D

If you come to dinner in the nude, could you at least sit on your napkin for hygene purposes? ;)

If you come to dinner in the nude, could you at least sit on your napkin for hygene purposes? ;)

happily- I'll use yours....I need mine to wipe my face...

my point(and I actually had one) was that people are entitled to their pet peeves but your pet peeve shouldn't intrude unless it actually effects you. perfume does effect other people more than what someone wears. That doesn't mean you shouldn't feel free to comment on it....but whether someone wears shorts jeans or their pajamas really isn't a big deal unless you make it so....

my point(and I actually had one) was that people are entitled to their pet peeves but your pet peeve shouldn't intrude unless it actually effects you. perfume does effect other people more than what someone wears. That doesn't mean you shouldn't feel free to comment on it....but whether someone wears shorts jeans or their pajamas really isn't a big deal unless you make it so....

It IS a big deal. When you pay for a cruise, you're paying for more than a place to sleep and a meal. You're paying for the experience and ambience too. That includes the crew wearing uniforms, and the passengers dressing appropriately. That's also why fine restaurants often require jackets. If someone showed up in shorts at one of these restaurants, it would certainly ruin the ambience.

People don't HAVE to dress for dinner-- they have their choice of wearing shorts at McDonalds, or jacket/dress at 21 or Le Bernardin. And on the ship, you have your choice of wearing shorts at the buffet or long pants in the dining rooms.

Dressing appropriately is part of a nice dining experience. I'm sorry you're unable to comprehend this.

LMAO oh that's perfect... HILARIOUS.... :D Hehehehehe

At least if you Laugh Your AO you won't need the napkin Sid is sitting on! :eek:

This has been very entertaining.

Some of you may not want to associate with me today because I am wearing shorts today. I do not want to disrupt the peace and harmony on this thread LOL.

Heck Jim-you're over dressed....I'm home and just decided to join Sid-I'm now a nudist! (and it's not a pretty sight)

OH CRAP-WHAT DOES THAT LITTLE LIGHT ON THE WEB CAM MEAN?

1300487071_fatman.jpg.5f2ae04e53eb44954f9788ea0014091d.jpg

Heck Jim-you're over dressed....I'm home and just decided to join Sid-I'm now a nudist! (and it's not a pretty sight)

I am trying to send you a napkin through the computer but it keeps jamming in the disc drive:D

It IS a big deal. When you pay for a cruise, you're paying for more than a place to sleep and a meal. You're paying for the experience and ambience too. That includes the crew wearing uniforms, and the passengers dressing appropriately. That's also why fine restaurants often require jackets. If someone showed up in shorts at one of these restaurants, it would certainly ruin the ambience.

People don't HAVE to dress for dinner-- they have their choice of wearing shorts at McDonalds, or jacket/dress at 21 or Le Bernardin. And on the ship, you have your choice of wearing shorts at the buffet or long pants in the dining rooms.

Dressing appropriately is part of a nice dining experience. I'm sorry you're unable to comprehend this.

generally I do follow the rules and sometimes I do think they shouldn't be allowed in but then I think ... unless of course the airline lost their luggage.

The no short rules IMO is one of the more stupid rules....why because a women can wear short skirts and I can wear a kilt and show my knees to my hearts content without violating any rules but shorts are a no no(unless of course you are in bermuda and have bermuda shorts with high socks)...

On the Dawn at the Salsa place at 6 I wanted to eat early and didn't have a reservation and I ask if the could accommodate me and I was told happily as soon as I changed into slacks which I happily did.

And when we were going to the stadium club at Yankee stadium we were turned away because my wife had open toed flats(that are also sandals) we were eventually allowed in and that rule has been changes as it should have been. I really don't see how my knees(or my wife's toes) effect your ambiance...

Oh my....what replies. Goodness....please excuse my error in not retaining previous replies to memory. I honestly just remember the reply about no jeans and it appears that jeans were ok. I do recall reading from the NCL site before I left the following:

"Our Freestyle attitude even applies to attire. Other cruise lines tell you what to wear for dinner every night - this night is formal, that night is jacket, some other night is casual. Who can remember all that? Never mind remembering - who wants to pack all that? We prefer to keep it simple every night. Call it sophisticated casual. You know, like big resorts. After all, do you really need someone telling you what to wear? "

I stand by my comments that the rules about no shorts after 5:30 to be against what they state on their web site. ---"After all, do you really need someone telling you what to wear?"

I enjoyed our cruise and hope that we can keep our discussions on CC from becoming negative attacks on other members.

I didn't read this entire thread word for word (just sort of glanced through it). So, I apologize if this has already been posted. But, on page 6 of the "Welcome Aboard" brochure that passengers receive after final payment (as well as available on line), it specifically states in paragraph 2:

"We do not allow T-shirts, shorts, cutoffs, tank tops, bare feet, etc., in any of the restaurants at dinner. However, T-shirts and shorts are permitted in buffets and trattorias."

So, how the OP missed this is beyond me. Especially when some fellow CC-ers pointed it out. And, to say that the dress code on NCL ships is rigid is like saying that the Pope is Baptist.

After having been on 4 NCL cruises, we took a short 3-day Cruise To Nowhere on Carnival. It was really difficult getting back into the swing of traditional dining!

I can't understand how people can be so rude-- to blatantly disregard a dress code that specifically states NO SHORTS.

And, I often dine in NYC too, but have not seen shorts in "just about every restaurant." I'd like to see you walk into Daniel, Le Bernardin, Per Se, Masa, or Jean Georges in shorts! :eek:

My husband has done it before! Most NYC restaurants are sophiscated enough to except the current fashion trends! Guess you are not eating in the right places

Archived