Booze

txflyt

I'm brand spankin' new to cruising, and I have The age-old question: Is there a :) preferred :) way to sneak booze onto the ship in checked luggage?

Welcome to the HAL boards. That's an interesting question for your very first post. There are *several* threads already existing on this topic--I'd suggest doing a search to find the answer you're looking for.

So, which HAL ship/cruise are you on? You should join the Roll Call--it's a great way to get to know people.

I agree... :rolleyes: I tried searching for it several ways but came up blank. We're cruising to Alaska and bumped up to the option with an unobstructed balcony... Glenlivet would go so well, but not at the ship's prices. We have all sorts of questions and have managed to bump into those. Would you tell me how to find the 'string' here?

I agree... :rolleyes: I tried searching for it several ways but came up blank. We're cruising to Alaska and bumped up to the option with an unobstructed balcony... Glenlivet would go so well, but not at the ship's prices. We have all sorts of questions and have managed to bump into those. Would you tell me how to find the 'string' here?

go to the "search"feature at the top of the board, type in a word you're looking for (booze, alcohol). I just did it and several came up.

I'm brand spankin' new to cruising, and I have The age-old question: Is there a :) preferred :) way to sneak booze onto the ship in checked luggage?

Sorry, I don't get it. You're spending lots of money on a cruise and worrying about sneaking a bottle on board? Does HAL not offer what you want to drink? You can order for consumption in the cabin. Since you're new, you might not be aware of that. While the price is more than you would pay in your local liquor store or on board at the duty free, compared to the price of the cruise, it's likely chump change.

But as for your question, the preferred way is to avoid getting caught since what you are asking is against HAL's policy. Whether you get caught or not is a factor of many things, I suspect, based on reports I have read from others here and reports I have received from others on board. There's always the chance that you'll be asked to explain the presence of suspicious objects in your luggage and the cruise line does have the right and obligation to hand inspect luggage where suspicious items are found.

If you can afford to cruise on HAL then you can afford to follow the rules they set down. You can bring all the wine and soda you want without consequences.

Rule breakers always make things harder for those who understand the meaning of adulthood.

I keep seeing the booze question, and there's something I thought of that I haven't seen anyone else mention. I've been a friend of Bill W for a few years so I've never paid attention to the cost of alcohol onboard, but my mom drinks and I took her on a Mexico cruise a little while ago. Every day there was a special drink she could get that apparently was significantly less than the other drinks. That's how she saved money with her habit. I don't know if these drink specials are offered on every itinerary, though.

I keep seeing the booze question, and there's something I thought of that I haven't seen anyone else mention. I've been a friend of Bill W for a few years so I've never paid attention to the cost of alcohol onboard, but my mom drinks and I took her on a Mexico cruise a little while ago. Every day there was a special drink she could get that apparently was significantly less than the other drinks. That's how she saved money with her habit. I don't know if these drink specials are offered on every itinerary, though.

evilcarp, congratulations! :D You're saving so much money and so many brain cells, not to mention your liver, and maybe even your life.

Maybe you should grow up a bit before you take a HAL cruise.

I beg to differ! On a balcony at sea the proper tipple would be a Laphroig, preferably the 15-year-old. Ahh, the taste of the peat, seaweed, salt, iodine – ideal after a tiring day of rushing around to make sure you get to each meal and eating twice as much as you usually do!

evilcarp, congratulations! :D You're saving so much money and so many brain cells, not to mention your liver, and maybe even your life.

Haha, thanks, that's a lesson I had to learn after I did quite a bit of brain cell killing. It is amazing how much your disposable income goes up when you're not buying booze.

If you can afford to cruise on HAL then you can afford to follow the rules they set down. You can bring all the wine and soda you want without consequences.

Rule breakers always make things harder for those who understand the meaning of adulthood.

I’ve seen several posters really blasting what I thought was a perfectly reasonable question. This person wishes to enjoy a beverage of his choice in the privacy of his room at a reasonable price. Yes, HAL has made a rule designed to maximize their profits. They also encourage me to attend their art auctions, buy their duty-free jewelry, patronize only their selected shore excursions, and play their Bingo. I’ll have to confess that I’d prefer to save my money to finance my next cruise. And if the original poster went for a balcony, he probably needs to save all he can! And as far as breaking the rules – if you promise not to turn me in, I’ll admit to breaking the speed limit on rare occasions! And those are LAWS, not arbitrary rules set up for purely commercial purposes! Several years ago I took a HAL cruise to Alaska, and there were no rules concerning bringing alcohol on board. I did bring beer on board – I don’t see how a change in the boarding rules suddenly makes that immoral!

In short, I don’t feel that the poster is hurting me in any way (well, maybe his choice of Scotch could be better), and I seen no reason to flame him.

I’ve seen several posters really blasting what I thought was a perfectly reasonable question.

The policy that HAL has instituted is legal. If you don't like the policy, then you have the option of finding a line that does not implement the policy as HAL does. Since the policy is legal, encouraging or aiding and abbetting a violation of the policy is illegal. This is not a difficult point of law. Whatever your excuses might be for encouraging someone to violate the policy are moot. There is no authoritative compulsion to cruise on HAL, so if you have a problem with their policy, you can take your business elsewhere. In the meantime, those of us that acknowledge and abide by the policy would appreciate your support.

I don't know if these drink specials are offered on every itinerary, though.

I haven't been on a HAL cruise where there wasn't a "drink of the day" at a substantial savings over the "list". I even purchased a couple, but generally go for the grape.

In short, I don’t feel that the poster is hurting me in any way (well, maybe his choice of Scotch could be better), and I seen no reason to flame him.

Unless HAL raises everyone's cruise fare when they lose out on making money selling alcohol.

Congrats, stay sober! I do drink and think the drink 'specials' are about the same price as everyday.

I pretty much stick to beer, with some wine, and like the idea of bringing wine free for the room, or a corkage if I wish it at dinner.

The policy that HAL has instituted is legal. If you don't like the policy, then you have the option of finding a line that does not implement the policy as HAL does. Since the policy is legal, encouraging or aiding and abbetting a violation of the policy is illegal. This is not a difficult point of law. Whatever your excuses might be for encouraging someone to violate the policy are moot. There is no authoritative compulsion to cruise on HAL, so if you have a problem with their policy, you can take your business elsewhere. In the meantime, those of us that acknowledge and abide by the policy would appreciate your support.

Sorry, I agree that HAL policy should be followed and I agree that being an adult is about following the rules However, NOT FOLLOWING POLICY IS NOT UNLAWFUL! HAL can remove you from the ship, they can enforce trespassing but the actual disregard of their policy is not breaking a law!

Unless HAL raises everyone's cruise fare when they lose out on making money selling alcohol.

One thing I've always wondered about is why HAL allows people to bring wine and soda on board. Why is that ok:confused: ? A lot more revenue could be earned there if it wasn't allowed. Personally I don't bring liquor (I mean wine or pop) on the ship.....too much hassle. For the amount I drink...it's not an issue. I'm sure folks would be smuggling a lot more on board if it was not allowed.

Congrats friend of Bill :) keep on keeping on !!!

Archived