Alaska cruise-what clothing to bring

mnbruce

The weather will probably be cool so I would bring a warmer jacket, possibly a sweatshirt or two or sweaters, jeans for day wear and the best thing I can tell you is to layer. When you are going on shore you never know how cool it will be. Gloves and a hat. At least two pair of sneakers. If you are in a suite, remember your laundry is done for free so don't over pack. I'm sure someone else will have more suggestions. Have a wonderful cruise. We loved Alaska and are going back Sept. '09.:)

I forgot, you will need nice clothes for smart casual nights, slacks and shirts for men and slacks, blouse or sweater for ladies.

Here are some AK tips I posted previously.

As we returned last Sat from our first Alaskan cruise (Oosterdam) I will offer a few thoughts:

Camera - Upgraded the 4 year old PS to the Panasonic TZ-5 with 10x Optical zoom and image stabilzation. I selected this one specifically for the range from true wide-angle to a decent zoom. Loved it though I do recommend what one poster said about more education on the features would have been a good idea ahead of time.

Binoculars - Bought a second pair (Zen-Ray) since the ones I had were not waterproof and wanted a pair for both of us. Money well spent. The IS Canon's I had were great from the balcony and when the weather was dry and we could still use the Zen-Ray's when conditions were wet.

Shoes/Boots - No need for heavy boots unless you are into serious hiking but I would recommend something waterproof.

Layers - Again, waterproof is the key IMHO. Shirt, fleece, waterproof shell with hood took me anywhere, and for as long as I wanted to stay. I did don the long underwear at Hubbard but not sure I needed it. The only thing I would have liked were some lighter waterproof gloves as I only had the heavy Gore-Tex ski gloves. Tough to handle the camera or even the binoculars with those on.

Weather - I about had the DW convinced that it would rain the whole time. Hence, when the sun came out and she was on the balcony in her suit, several times,...surprise.

Crowding on to the bow - I found the viewing at the glacier (Hubbard) to be much better from deck 5 and 6 forward than trying to fight for rail space on the bow. Missed the soup...but oh well.

Float Plane Excursion to Misty Fjords - If you are looking at this one and thinking it's just to much $. Do it anyway. You will NOT regret it.

One other thought...appreciate it as you experience it. For example when we were at Hubbard glacier the ceiling was very low with a light rain most of the time. We did not get to see the magnificent surrounding peaks that you see in some of the photos on a clear day but both the DW and I agreed that we were glad we saw it that way. Perhaps next time some sun, perhaps not, but it was a wonderful experience just the way it was.

I sincerly hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

I'm from Texas and I don't have a lot of the things suggested to bring (waterproof shoes, waterproof coat, gloves, etc). I've spent so much already I'm trying to avoid buying anything that isn't an absolute necessity. I know some things fall into the "nice to have but not absolute" and others are "must haves"

Can I enjoy my trip and have a reasonably good time w/out waterproof shoes (and why two pairs of tennis shoes?)

I don't take waterproof shoes, just comfortable walkers that are mostly leather. Do take a poncho or travel rain gear especially if you go in September. A zip front hooded sweat shirt is also a must. We wore Lands' End winter jackets on deck in September for Glacier Bay as it was cold (low 40's) and rainy. The shoulder season in Alaska is more predictable than June, July, and August. We learned to dress in layers after being very surprised in Greenland in July. The ship ran out of sweatshirts and many female pax didn't have socks. Don't overpack but prepare yourself with some long-sleeved things and RAIN GEAR.

GN

oh

socks!

I'm glad you said that. I'm not a big sock wearer, even in winter.

MUST REMEMBER SOCKS

fortunately, we're going next week so we won't be dealing with September weather

It rains a lot in September. You may luck out and have sunny days but the odds are that you will experience some rainy days.

It is not much fun to put on cold, wet shoes so I'd recommend shoes that are at least somewhat water resistant and can be treated with waterproof spray. Mesh running shoes will get very wet. If your shoes get wet, changing to an pair of dry socks will make your feet happier. So throw an extra pair of socks into your suitcase and into your pocket or daypack while on shore.

An inexpensive knit hat and gloves can make your time outside much more enjoyable. These are available year round in the grocery stores where I live for $1-$3. Camping, hunting or outdoor online stores should have these at reasonable prices.

Be sure to take a waterproof jacket or coat. If you are going to be engaged in active pursuits in the rain, you may want to invest in a gore tex jacket. Otherwise you may find you are as wet inside the jacket as it is outside. But if you are just going on casual walks then less expensive rain gear should work fine. Rain gear is available year round from online camping, hunting and outdoor stores if it is not available in your area. Also, if you leave from Seattle, the headquarters of REI is located there.

You won't enjoy yourself as much if you are cold and wet. Waterproof spray for shoes, extra socks, knit gloves and a hat and a nylon raincoat are not very expensive and could make your trip a much more pleasurable experience. Or you may luck out and get sunny days.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I distribute clothing so I should have the jackets,sweatshirts and fleeces covered,just need to figure which ones. I will have to work on the shoes and sock situation because I know how uncomfortable is it to be out of dry ones,especially in the cold. I will also have to pick up some light gloves. Packing for this trip is going to be interesting to say the least.

Funny Pipedreams62.

NetwrkEng, thanks for the great overview,it will really help. The only thing I know I have covered is the photography equipment,it's a hobby of mine and one of the reasons,but not the only one,for giong on this trip.

Again,thanks to everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that I recently bought a rainproof jacket online from Lands End for my upcoming Alaska cruise. It was $35.

I LOVE this jacket. I've tested it out a few times while walking my dog in the pouring rain and every part of me that is covered by the jacket stays completely dry, of course my dog still gets wet in these little experiments :)

If you're looking for a great rainproof jacket, check it out http://www.landsend.com/pp/PackableRainJacket~137548_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BIQ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000157&origin=index

I'm sure they also have them in mens sizes.

I just wanted to let you know that I recently bought a rainproof jacket online from Lands End for my upcoming Alaska cruise. It was $35.

I LOVE this jacket. I've tested it out a few times while walking my dog in the pouring rain and every part of me that is covered by the jacket stays completely dry, of course my dog still gets wet in these little experiments:)

Thanks for the info Liz! I will check it out online then see if they have it at the Lands End store just down the road from me.

Update: Just checked out the jacket and I think my wife wants one. They do also have a mens version I will check out at the store. Thanks Liz!

If you don't want to pack all of these clothes. The souvenir shops I passed are dirt cheap. Hats are $3 gloves are $3 and you can buy a sweatshirt for $10 maybe it will be hot and you won't need any of it? Just a thought.

Oh yeah in Juneau and ketchikan there's a tee shirt shop every 18 inches.

If you don't want to pack all of these clothes. The souvenir shops I passed are dirt cheap. Hats are $3 gloves are $3 and you can buy a sweatshirt for $10 maybe it will be hot and you won't need any of it? Just a thought.

Thanks pipedreams62,will keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info Liz! I will check it out online then see if they have it at the Lands End store just down the road from me.

Update: Just checked out the jacket and I think my wife wants one. They do also have a mens version I will check out at the store. Thanks Liz!

You're welcome!! I'm so glad to finally be helpful to someone on this board!

After wearing the jacket a few times for "testing" in very heavy rain, I know it will be perfect for Alaska. Have a wonderful trip!

We bought our Lands' End rain coats before our 2003 transatlantic and thankfully have brought them on every cruise since. It poured in Ireland and Scotland, and in France in 2003. We also made great use of them in 2004 in Europe, especially in Norway and Germany, and used them extemsively in Alaska in 2006. They are easy to pack as they come with their own travel pouch and can easily fit in tote bags. We have the ones we got on sale from the Lands' End overstocks, hooded but unlined in navy blue, on sale for $29.00, a real bargain. We even took them on the Caribbean and NE/Canada cruises but didn't use them much there. They weigh practically nothing so no problem when you're packing for different climates.

I highly recommend them!

GN

Archived