Nickel and Diming?

I haven't sailed RCI in about two years, a nasty rumor landed in post on the Princess board that RCI has made some pricing and service changes recently. Can anyone fill me in or dispell these comments?

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Well, for one thing, they charge $3.95 to eat in Johnny Rockets on the Voyager class ships. That's in addition to the $3.95 for a milkshake.

It's also been said that they are charging for orange juice now once breakfast is finished.

Of course, they have the alternate dining with Chops and Porofino's which has gone from $20. to $25.

The other complaint seems to be that they have cut back in the cabin steward area and are now having the stewards work in teams and cover more cabins.

I know the quality of the food in the main dining room has gone way, way down and I'm taking from experience with that one.

Marilyn

Cunard - various ships over many years

Song of America

Grandeur of the Seas

Dreamward

Infinity

Azur

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100 Til the Brilliance in the Med.!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Nordic Empress

<center>

shipmar2.gif </center>

marship.gif

The JR charge is NOT on all Voyager class ships - just on two ships. Also - the RCI website clearly states that the Portofino charge is $20.00 - NOT $25.00. Let's not make it any worse than it is. icon_biggrin.gif

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Dont forget no more included soft drinks in the dining room, also RCI has joined Princess in charging for ice cream. RCI is even charging $1 per cookie. They have also joined Princess in removing the towels from the pool area so you get a lot more exercise in going to and from the room. The $3.95 JR entrance fee is the most outrageous. Princess has some crazy new charges as well, $100 for dinner in your room, and $50 for breakfast in room. Dont forget the NCL alcarte pricing and an extra $2 for seconds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by happysinglemom:

he RCI website clearly states that the Portofino charge is $20.00 - NOT $25.00. Let's not make it any worse than it is. icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever the website says they HAVE increased the alternatives to $25.

XOXOXO FRANKI XOXOXO

Holland America - Westerdam 12/95

Carnival Celebration 12/96

NCL - Majesty 12/97

RCCL - Grandeur 10/98

Celebrity Century 10/00

Carnival Imagination 10/01

Carnival Fascination 4/02

RCCL - Enchantment 10/02

RCCL - Voyager 5/03

RCCL - Nordic Empress 11/03

RCCL - Brilliance 4/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;4;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Brilliance of the Seas 11 day Circle the Caribbean

FrankiRN,

They were $20 in January on Radiance. Maybe it depends on the ship.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by addicted2traveling:

When did they start charging for cookies and ice cream? I know they charge for Ben and Jerry's but that understandable. Cookies and ice cream charge????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They don't for soft serve.

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

From what I can gather, it was supposed to take effect fleet wide by Feb 1st, but some ships started charging more in Jan. Not sure why. The inconsistancies do get on one's nerves though.

XOXOXO FRANKI XOXOXO

Holland America - Westerdam 12/95

Carnival Celebration 12/96

NCL - Majesty 12/97

RCCL - Grandeur 10/98

Celebrity Century 10/00

Carnival Imagination 10/01

Carnival Fascination 4/02

RCCL - Enchantment 10/02

RCCL - Voyager 5/03

RCCL - Nordic Empress 11/03

RCCL - Brilliance 4/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;4;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Brilliance of the Seas 11 day Circle the Caribbean

srphnx ,

Lynees' opinion notwithstanding, I've sailed on RCI four times in the past two years and have not noticed an appreciable decline in overall food quality.

FrankiRN,

From what I've seen of the "inconsistancies", the biggest problem is that people here believe too much of what other people post, and believe if something happened in a certain way on one ship, that means it's going to happen fleetwide forever.

Personally, I think a lot of people would be a lot happier with RCI if they had never found Cruise Critic (although less well informed on some topics which are actually of a benefit to them).

We paid $25. each in January for both Chops and Portofino's (before gratuity).

Also, the fact that we have found the food quality declining certainly has nothing to do with cruise critic. Our first cruise with RCL was in 85 or 86. We have sailed with several cruiselines and, as far as I'm concerned, the food quality has deteriorated considerably on RCL. That, of course, is my opinion but don't start telling me I have no right to that opinion again.

I don't cruise on voyager class ships and I never will. Far too big for me. So I really don't care what they charge at Johnny Rockets. I was answering the OP. As for the charge in JR's it will be going fleet wide.

I believe Brad118 is having everyone on with his remarks. Looks like he got a bite or two.

Marilyn

Song of America

Grandeur of the Seas

Dreamward

Infinity

Azur

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100 Til the Brilliance in the Med.!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Nordic Empress

<center>

shipmar2.gif </center>

marship.gif

Lynees,

A little testy this evening, aren't we?

We just got off of the Mariner 4/4 and had previously sailed the Voyager 2 tears ago. No charge for cookies anywhere. As others have said, soft serve yogurt was free, Ben & Jerry's ice cream was not. As far as the food quality goes, we did not notice any appreciable change from 2 years ago, in some cases the food was better, although we did think that the portions were smaller than before. We had nothing but the best as far as the cabin stewards went. Only one (Jerome was great) and always very prompt. We were in a Cat B so maybe there is a difference in how the suites are serviced - or the changes have not been instituted on the Mariner. We did not eat at Johnny Rockets - even with our free C&A coupons.

Lynnees,

I went back and read everything and NO ONE said you couldn't have an opinion...icon_smile.gif

Serenade 10/30/03

Destiny 6/02

Monarch 5/99

Holiday 4/98

Tropical 6/95

Asure Seas 3/93

Asure Seas 5/91

Holiday 3/88

Ms Southward 5/85

Soft serve ice cream is free.

Ben and Jerry's is not.

Cookies are free everywhere but the separate coffee bars like Seattles, where you also pay for the special coffees, muffins, cakes and etc.

e9.gif "Happy Easter"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;12;3;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

UNTIL WE FLY TO SAN JUAN TO SAIL THE NORDIC EMPRESS. **10 ISLANDS IN 11 NIGHTS**

shp_ne_boat_img_151.jpg

12/06/04 VISIT OUR ROLL CALL HERE

I really am not testy Mark. I'm also fussier than my hubby. I just find that whenever I mention that I think the quality of food has gone down, someone tells me I'm wrong. I suppose I've heard that so many times, I may, just may, see the statement when it isn't there.

Anyway, as you can see, it doesn't stop me from cruising with RCL. (I've been told to stop cruising with RCL by some because of my opinion of the food) Hopefully you can understand if I appear testy, I'm really not. (But perhaps defensive.)

I wish I could claim to have done my siggies myself, but I had some help with them. I've been trying to learn how to do them all by myself, but so far I can't get the really fancy ones like these are. I'll get it yet, I'm stubborn enough.

Song of America

Grandeur of the Seas

Dreamward

Infinity

Azur

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

<center>

shipmar2.gif </center>

marship.gif

I have sailed since '01 and have not noticed a difference nor has the other couple we sail with and they have sailed many more times than we have. So again what is awful to one person is not to another. That being said as long as I am not cooking I am happy, but do know the difference between fine dining and just ordinary cooking. But hey I think grits are rot gut and others think they are gourmet. That does not make me more right, or the other person.

My vacation picshttp://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Lynnees: We've sailed on Royal Caribbean 15 times since 1987 and totally agree that the food quality on RCI has gone down. That being said, we've found the quality varies from ship to ship. The food on the Nordic Empress a year ago December was excellent. The food on the Splendour transatlantic last November was mostly ok, but not great. Then there's the famous ranch steak about which I have nothing to say (being a believer in the old adage).

As far as the JR thing, the cheeseburgers in the dining room for lunch have always been better, IMHO. We ate at JRs once last March and never went back either then or on the Explorer in October.

Still looking forward to our Alaska cruise on the Radiance next month and hope the rumors that RCI is thinking about upgrading food quality are true.

One of the great truths in life is that accountants should not be in charge of anything.

I suppose I should start ducking after that last statement.

Radiance to Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;14;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jewel of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;4;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Lynnees,

This cut both ways. Others have as much right to express a contrary opinion as you have to express your opinion.

And one who gets upset at the mere thought of being told they don't have a right to express an opinon, certainly has no right to get upset with others when they express theirs.

Mark - I don't think you see at all. I'm tired of people telling my my opinion is "wrong". In fact there are no "wrong" opinions. I have never told you or anyone else your "opinion" is wrong.

An opinion is just that, an opinion.

I would suggest that you just may be the testy one. Or just looking for an argument?

Song of America

Grandeur of the Seas

Dreamward

Infinity

Azur

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

<center>

shipmar2.gif </center>

marship.gif

Lynnees,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynnees:

I know the quality of the food in the main dining room has gone way, way down and I'm taking from experience with that one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A statement of opinion begins with something like "I believe", "I think", "In my opinion", etc.

In that case Mark I will add to that statement:

I know that, for my tastebuds, and my tastebuds only, the quality of the food has gone downhill.

Does that make you happier?

Song of America

Grandeur of the Seas

Dreamward

Infinity

Azur

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

<center>

shipmar2.gif </center>

marship.gif

Archived