Nickel and Diming?

Lynnees,

I'm almost always happy. And I'll be surprised if any one tells you that that statement worded that way is wrong, other than possibly in jest. It would even be difficult for anyone to disagree with it.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

Hey - All I want is the right to disagree!!!! Just accept my opinion as valid, just as I accept everyone elses opinion as valid as far the food goes.

Like I said, it certainly doesn't stop me from cruising..........I am so looking forward to sailing the Brilliance in the Med. in June......nothing can put a damper on that for me.

We're going to France first and I know (because we've been there before)most of our meals will be taken on the fly and we will be very content to buy a loaf of bread, some cheese and most absolutely definitely FRENCH PASTRIES. We can live on that while there, so ...........as I said only my opinion and not enough to stop me from cruising RCL.

So, as abridalmaven says, no more argument.

And abridalmaven, please accept my sympathies. I know you have been through hell and back over the last short while.

Your right - life is too short to be constantly arguing over non-consequental happenings.

Cunard - various ships over many years

Song of America

Grandeur of the Seas

Dreamward

Infinity

Azur

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100 Til the Brilliance in the Med.!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Nordic Empress

<center>

shipmar2.gif </center>

marship.gif

We have been on 8 RCI cruises in the past 8 years. Everything has gone down except for the RCI singers and dancers. The nickle and dime charges are for things you have a choice to buy or use. Our first cruise was one of the most expensive. If they charged $1400 for the least expensive cabin for a 7 day cruise, everything might be free but would you be sailing as often? You get what you pay for.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;10;16;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Hi just did the Vision at the end of March. The second night had the stuffed Chicken Breast. Do you go on a cruise to have Microwave Food.That's what it was.I am not pickey.But after 15 cruises with RCCL.Yes the food has gone down. The Mid-Night buffet was a waste of time and sorry looking.If I were the Chief I would hang my head in shame.We will be on the Serenade of the Seas in June.If the food is not better than We will cancel Dec.Hawaii cruise and the Jewel Baltic in Aug.05.The food change is unbelieve-able.We travel with our friends two or three times a year.D-1.Are we the type of people they could care less about.Do they only want the once a year ones.Who once they get on board have to pay off a credit Card bill for a year.I agree with the Don't BYOB on board What we pay to buy on on board to have in the room is the same price I would pay at home,and have to take the chance of it breaking in the suit-case.The charge for JR,When Kids can hang out there and use it for a meeting place.If your not their age you would tend to pass it up.There are a lot of times we want comfort food also.We have always had good Cabin Attendants.When we get on board we usually tell them the time we get up.Got to breakfast, and will be back in the room.They have written it down and when we get back the room is done.Just a few kind words on what you would like make it a well cared for room.I can't understand the rumor that they have more rooms to do now. Wouldn't that mean that their tips would be higher.Haven't heard that point from any one else.Chops and Porto Fino are nice for a special occasion and well worth the $.The Murder M is also worth the $.But the bottom line is when what was Classy get to be just ordinary We will start to look at other lines. Please don't say go more up-scale.That isn't us,either.

So puppy were they charging for the cookies and deserts at the coffee shop??? I know that they weren't on the Nav. in Dec. Just want to set my expectations for the next one!

Grandeur 5/99

Enchantment 10/01

Navigator 11/03

Voyager 11/04

I'm not sure thought you paid for the starbucks coffee but the pastry on the counter was free.Serenade in Oct Ice Cream in the Windjammer was free,in the afternoon Brillance was the same. Vision dosen't have Coffee Shop.We will check again in June when we are back on the Serenade for Alaska. Heard they charged for Hot Cocoa on that one. Will bring sone of my on or use the C.Lounge.Will e-mail RCCL about the food on Jewel.It's early enough to may-be give Priness a try.Prices are almost equal.We did the Smallest of their Ships the "Old Love Boat" to Bermuda.Crew was great Food better the what RCCL has been offering lately.Ship shore Exc.seem to be a little cheaper and more to offer.But it will make me sad to do it.It's just Applebee's quality food on vacation dosen't seem to cut it.It's just gottten to be very strange lately with RCCL.

RCCL are you listening to all of us?? We really want another option concerning menu selections and quality. Yes, there are those who would happy to pay a surcharge. DH & I are Platinum, we love your ships but the food has got to change or we will have to change ship lines.

Hooray for you, you had your say. If you wish to move on, so be it. But guess what does that mean I lied about the food I ate in December? I thought it was good, and I eat in NY restaurants not Podunk. And since I am smart enough to figure things out, what makes you think Princess will not be the same, if not now , later? Economics are what causes changes, and it is worldwide. No one force fed puppy the stuffed chicken and I am sure it was not the ONLY thing on the menu. And guess what someone other than you or puppy might actually prefer that type of food. Let's face it many people eat out at fast food now and it is far less tasteful food than any restaurant. But then again even though I like good food, I eat to live not live to eat, I have a full enough life to enjoy the whole experience. Flame on!

http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/stone/27/names/b/barbara02.gif

My vacation picshttp://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi K2,

The Navigator has the Promenade with the bakery and coffee that is free to everyone.

The Brilliance does not have the Promenade, nor the free bakery, that is always open.

Instead there is a separate coffee stand with Seattle specialty coffees and baked goods. These are for sale just like the Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream stands.

If cruisers do not wish to pay for these extra treats, they can get all they want in the Windjammer everyday for free.

No one is forcing anyone to buy the cookies and ice cream that they charge for. It is still free elsewhere on the ships.

e9.gif "Happy Easter"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;12;3;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

UNTIL WE FLY TO SAN JUAN TO SAIL THE NORDIC EMPRESS. **10 ISLANDS IN 11 NIGHTS**

shp_ne_boat_img_151.jpg

12/06/04 VISIT OUR ROLL CALL HERE

Hi abridalmaven,

If you want your gif to show up, type before the http, and type after the word gif once you have the sentence in your signature box. It must be typed exactly as I did it.

It will look like this if you do that.

barbara02.gif

e9.gif "Happy Easter"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;12;3;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

UNTIL WE FLY TO SAN JUAN TO SAIL THE NORDIC EMPRESS. **10 ISLANDS IN 11 NIGHTS**

shp_ne_boat_img_151.jpg

12/06/04 VISIT OUR ROLL CALL HERE

As far as I'm concerned, the food quality has gone down quite a bit since our first RCL in 1987. Too many items that I have enjoyed have been removed and YES, the food quality has gone down, but the price has also gone down very much since 1987. Pay less, get less. Want more, pay more!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alpatrick:

As far as I'm concerned, the food quality has gone down quite a bit since our first RCL in 1987. Too many items that I have enjoyed have been removed and YES, the food quality has gone down, but the price has also gone down very much since 1987. Pay less, get less. Want more, pay more!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happy hour price for 4 night cruise on the Monarch in May:from $223 single, $188 double.

You can't get a hotel room for that. icon_rolleyes.gif

A little nickle and diming doesn't bother me if I can sail that cheaply.

Reggie icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rhapsody 10-17-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;12;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Mercury 12-06-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;03;29;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800 Monarch 3-29-04

Viking Serenade 1998

Viking Serenade 1999

Voyager of the Seas 2000

Viking Serenade 2001

Majesty of the Seas 11-2002

Norwegian Sea 11-2002

Vision of the Seas 11-2002

Mercury 5-03-03

Monarch of the Seas 6-09-03

Mercury 10-12-03

Monarch 11-17-03

Monarch 1-19-04

God bless the USA and all freedom loving people. May God protect all those who fight and die to protect those freedoms.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark_K:

FrankiRN,

From what I've seen of the "inconsistancies", the biggest problem is that people here believe too much of what other people post, and believe if something happened in a certain way on one ship, that means it's going to happen fleetwide forever.

Personally, I think a lot of people would be a lot happier with RCI if they had never found Cruise Critic (although less well informed on some topics which are actually of a benefit to them).

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although I loved meeting the March 8th Bar-Crawlers and thoroughly enjoyed the murder mystery at Portifinos and the services of Chris the concierge on Brilliance, I WISH I had known a lot of stuff in advance. I wish I had known that my room was not going to be made up before noon. I might not have booked a suite. I don't like to hang around in an un-made-up room and I don't take cruises to clean my own suite. I wish I had known that many nights the only beef option would be the infamous ranch steak. We did eat at Chops twice and Portifinos twice, but why do I have to pay extra to get a really good meal. (Well, at least I didn't gain any weight on this cruise.) I wish I had known that the maitre d' was going to be nothing but a useless tip-seaker. I wouldn't have gone to him for help when all the seats were taken at my assigned dining table. It was not fun standing in the narrow space between 2 tables while he sat other people who had come to the door, leaving my hubbie and me standing, holding our drinks and waiting for him to do SOMETHING. (He did see us, and we did show him our seating assignments. He briefly spoke to the other people at the table and assured us he would take care of us immediately. Then, he got into seating other people.) You see, if I had known all of this, I might have booked a less expensive cabin. I might have booked on a different ship. I might have cruised with a different line. But, even if I had chosen to cruise with RCI, at least I would have known what I had paid so much money for.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

I have had the same Chicken before on other ships. It was not what has been served on other ships. I know if I want a good steak and it is not on the menue to go to the Windjammer and have the grill cook one fresh for me. Pasta Dishes would have been good had they been warm.I know that I could keep ordering a different thing untill they hit it right.On some nights we felt as if we were haveing a ordinary meal at home. Maybe the future should be pay for cruise X-$$. Fast food meal plan -$,Better Food plan-$$.Best Dining -$$$. Just like when you look for a hotel.A few years ago you were all served the same food no matter what cabin you had. Now if you have the $$$ to spend you go to Chops or Portifinos.I would just like to see a compromise with the two.Cruise Prices have gotten lower but air fare is sometimes out of sight. We did the Mexican Riveira because the air fare was a lot lower than doing one from the east coast.We usually spend $1000.00 on our seapass card each trip.with out shore trips. Those are already paid for. Am I out of line to expect a little better food in the dineing room.We have met a lot of great people at our tables over the years. Would hate to have to give it up to go to the Windjammer every night.

Alexis, thanks.
Barbara

[img]http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/stone/27/names/b/barbara02.gif[/img]
My vacation pics
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven"]http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven[/url]
Norwegian Dawn May 23
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I sure hope that when they hang me they use a rew rope.
Last Oct my wife and I went on this wonderful cruise. It was for nine nights, sailed out of Philly to the S. Carrib. We were in Cat. Suites had a wonderful young lady as a room stew. Room was always clean, ice bucket always full, room service always on time. For some unknow reason on the second day we recieved an invite to the concierge club which was fab. We are used to fine dining so we tried the alternative dinning 2 times and it was awsome. The best part was the price $1249 including all charges and insurance each. Plus $100 for the alt. dinning brought the total up to $2600. It almost cost that much for the stinkin airfare,lol. I never once thought about the quality of the food. Everywhere I ate I enjoyed myself. RCL had truly outdone themselves. Now that I am home and reading these boards I realize how $hitty the food was and how much I hated it. From now on when I want really, really , really good food I will eat in any of the 5 star resturants here at home and when I want the best vac. I can get for the dollar I will go on a RCL cruise....[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Serenade 10/30/03
Destiny 6/02
Monarch 5/99
Holiday 4/98
Tropical 6/95
Asure Seas 3/93
Asure Seas 5/91
Holiday 3/88
Ms Southward 5/85

Well, it seems like the bargain prices of last year are fading away. If they're going to raise the prices anyway, why not add just another $50 per person and bring the food and services back to their former reputation?

Personally, I would rather pay $50-$100 more for the cruise than to suffer any more "Applebees" dining.

It's all that Wal-Mart pressure to race to the bottom. Everything driven by price without regard to quality or experience.

RCCL can not compete against Carnival just based on price, Carnival is too big now. RCCL should compete on the overall experience and package. Their ships are the most beautiful, it's time to make sure the food and service are as well.

I remember the thread of last year about the new cruise line based on recycled trailer homes. It may have been more prophetic than we thought.

Bill & Jane Lynch

Serenade of the Seas - 8/22/2004
Monarch of the Seas - 8/29/2003 - voyage #660
Vision of the Seas - 5/4/2003 - voyage #225
Explorer of the Seas - 7/20/2002
Monarch of the Seas - 10/17/1999

------------------------------

"Ya best start believin' in ghost stories, Miss Turner, yer in one ! "

I just hope this never happens on RCI... (this is from "Vacations To Go" newsletter I received on April 8.

"For many years, the gratuity policy aboard Holland America's ships has been "No tipping required". I believe that most passengers took that to mean "No tipping, period", while others felt that they were still expected to tip for excellent service, and did so.

We have just received notice of a change in this tipping policy. Here's the announcement Holland America is sending to folks booked on upcoming cruises.
'Exceptional service is part of the Holland America cruise experience. Because you are our guest, it is our goal to make sure you receive the finest service possible. And we have made it easy for you to reward excellent service onboard.
A gratuity of $10 per guest per day for dining and stateroom services will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. We are confident that you will find the service onboard exemplary and, should you wish to make adjustments, you may do so at the end of the cruise by contacting the front desk. A 15% service charge will be automatically added to your bar charges and dining room wine account.'"
There was more, but I think that was enough. I believe charging for anything extra is in the near future.

Brilliance of the Seas
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;1;24;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Carnival Ecstasy 8/2001
Voyager of the Seas 8/2000
Carnival 3/1998
Viking Seranade 1/1996
Viking Seranade 4/1995

one thing I have learned from cruise critic is to never, ever listen to things that have to do with food, service and formal wear. these are all so subject to people's personal opinions. i know what i'm happy with, what my family is happy with and we've had such a good time on our cruises, i would never kill the buzz complaining about food!

Geez! I hate to see folks "flamed" for expressing their opinion. We love RCI and recently completed our 13th cruise with the line (Brilliance of the Seas in March). Previously we cruised on the AOS this past October and have sailed on 10 other RCI ships (twice on the Sun Viking). We have also cruised on about 35 other ships or many different cruise lines, but I guess we are still novices and willing to learn! This being said, we have also noticed a general decline in RCI food quality, and also noticed some changes due to cabin stewards now having more cabins per crew member. And yes, we do not like the nickel and diming or the outrageous mark-ups on wine (sometimes over 600%). We will continue to cruise RCI ships when they have good pricing, but will also try to increase our cruising on Radisson and Crystal where quality is great (and prices are high). Our next cruise (in late June) is on Princess, which we feel is comparable to RCI.

Hank

Hi Did you mean price wise,ports,or food.We have booked a Baltic Cruise on the Jewel for next August. I am haveing second thoughts on it now.Will the food be a little better over in Europe on RCCL.The Grand Buffet on the Vision in March was Sad. Appearance wise,quality,we always went to see the great things thay did with the food items.Cut back there. We felt like fools going to see things that looked shop worn.Maybe after seeing count less times in Dec.the GingerBread Village go up and being totally in Awe of it. We know that food wise they have a lot to offer.Legend of the Sea was great in Dec 02. Hawaii.We will be on her again this Dec.Hope she didn't change as much in two years.At one time DH and I,and our friends that we travel with would tell people RCCL,was the only way to go. Now we may start to tell them if you do go buy the least expensive room you can.People tend to spend a lot more $$ when they are happy.But when you have to go on shore to find have way decent food. You tend to be Cheap.We will buy a bottle of wine,maybe two with our friends if the meal is good. But when you go and the food is mass produced frozen fare food you have at home when your in a hurry,or tired from work.you have to draw the line.

The food has to be mass produced and frozen. Look how many people they are trying to feed, and doing a damn good job.Gezzz

Serenade 10/30/03
Destiny 6/02
Monarch 5/99
Holiday 4/98
Tropical 6/95
Asure Seas 3/93
Asure Seas 5/91
Holiday 3/88
Ms Southward 5/85

But when it reaches tv-dinner quality don't you think they have gone below the bottom line.If they had a better quality before why the sudden we don't have time to feed the masses.As far as I know there are still the same amount of hours in a day as a year ago.I would accept a compromise if on the menue it stated what it was in truth.When you go and get lukewarm food do you want to have to keep sending it back while you table companions are haveing their meal. When these problems arise and you want to go to a show the only way out is eat it the way it is or don't.I am using this to vent my disapointment at the way things are going down hill on RCCL.I only hope it has reached the end.After 15 cruises with them all in a D-1 room wouldn't you be at least a little sad.If you sail on a ship with a Chops or portofino Rest Yes you can get a great meal but on the vision Class what do you do.Stay the H### away from them.One closeing statement maybe if the food got better people would book a higher class of room at the start instead of going to the pier and getting one for a song because they couldn't fill the ship.A Full Ship will bring in a lot more money.

Archived