Steamboats

letsgo39

Hi Steamboats,

Just wanted you to know that on our news yesterday from Paducah they

said that "our rivers" have finally fallen below flood stage.This is good news for the thousands of families that have been flooded out of their homes this year and are trying to get back in and cleaned up. I hope now your river cruise will be able to go.

Typical of this area is that now we need some rain!Can't win I guess.Now it is really hot.

Letsgo 39

(near Paducah,Ky)

Hi Letsgo 39,

Thanks for the heads up! I just checked the river levels and seems like nearly all gages on the Upper Miss are below flood stage. I also checked the bridge clearance in the Rock Island district and except for the Burlington Northern RR bridge all are showing at least 56 ft clearance which should be ok.

The American Queen should be in St. Louis right now and start her (now) first Upper Mississippi river cruise. So we´ll see if they gonna make it up to St. Paul.

The Delta Queen will be in Paducah tomorrow. I will check the Skytracker webcam :D! BTW Paducah became one of my favorite stops over the years. The friendly people in their red jackets greeting the passengers and offering their help. Great antique shops, a great ice cream shop. Of course I love the river museum!

I´m checking a Quincy TV station frequently (covers Quincy, Hannibal, Keokuk, Canton) and it´s so sad to see the devastation caused by the flood. I can hardly imagine what these people have gone through and are still going through. We had our condo flooded last year (on the second floor, water pipe broke, right when we were in the US). Returning and seeing all the mess was horrible. Although we were lucky as it was fresh water and all damage was covered by insurance (because it was a broken pipe). Actually we ended up packing all our stuff. The good thing was we wanted to buy a larger condo and without that flooding we might not have moved (being too lazy to look for something new).

steamboats

Archived