Renting a car for the day

momt22

We will be in Barbados this November on the Carnival Victory. Could anyone tell me where we could rent a car for the day? We would like to spend the day cruising around the island and going to several different beaches. Is there a place near the port to rent from? Any idea how much it would cost to rent a car for four people? I love to collect shells from each island we explore. What would be the best beaches for this, if any? I know, lots of questions but not ones I have seen on here before. Thanks for any help you can give.

Stoutes car hire have a very good reputation, and have a booth within the terminal.I would book in advance though.It looks like as of aug 1st the driving permit will rise from 10bds to 100bds so it may be cheaper to hire a driver....;)

I'm fairly sure there are car rental shops right there in the Cruise Terminal Bldg.

so that's not a problem -and yes, Stoute's has been doing it for decades

but as indicated above, the silly visitor's driver permit fee was recently raised by a disproportionate amount

although there is talk locally of that being modulated to sane levels.

Do you want to pay the local equiv. of US$50 just to register your Operators License?

- for a day?

patience32 & Aplmac, Wow, I did not know they charged a permit fee to rent a car. We have done this in several other ports we have been to and never came upon this.

If we were to go to one beach only in the area which would you suggest? We are just looking to relax on the beach, play in the water a bit and look for shells. We are not swimmers so we will not be wanting any water sports equipment or probably food as we will have plenty on the ship when we get back. The most important part would be a beautiful setting with a stretch of beach for a walk and a little dipping in the ocean for shells. We are from Oregon and love our beaches here but very frigid compared to the Caribbean waters. It is nice to feel the warm water when you are used to it freezing your extremities within moments. LOL

Thanks for all the great information by the way. What would we do without all the information we learn from each other on these boards.

Well i know Aplmac who is a local will definately say accra beach,so i will have to agree you would have facilites [chairs food drinks]and could walk for a long way back towards the hilton and your cruise ship.I would also consider malibu beach which also has facilities but a man comes around with a cat and offers to take you swimming with the turtles for twenty five dollars.Either way or you will love barbados.Enjoy:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody

Stoutes car hire have a very good reputation, and have a booth within the terminal.I would book in advance though.It looks like as of aug 1st the driving permit will rise from 10bds to 100bds so it may be cheaper to hire a driver....;)

Just checked out the Stoutes web site regarding the permit I have cut and pasted from their website may make the rental more bearable.

Drivers must be over 21 and under 75 years old. Each driver must have held a valid driving licence for at least two years. A local driving permit is necessary, and is issued by our representative at a cost of $5 US each.

With the rental rate clients are comprehensively insured except for a deductible of $1,500 US in case of loss, accident or damage to the vehicles - regardless of fault. An excess waiver is offered to cover this deductible at a cost of $49 US per week or $10 US per day.

Clients are charged for the petrol in the vehicles at the time of rental, and should return the vehicles as empty as possible.

Child seats and booster seats are available for hire on request.

Charges for hire, excess waiver, petrol & child seats are subject to 15% VAT.

All prices shown or quoted on this website are in US dollars

Payment is made at the time of delivery, and we accept credit cards (American Express, Visa, Discover or MasterCard), foreign cash (U.S., Canadian or Sterling) or travellers cheques.

Regarding the fuel the vehicles are usually 1/3 full which you pay for and return empty.

Regards

Paul

The regards to the license fee. The Prime Minister changed the fee from 10.00bbd for 1 year to BBD$100.00 for a 1 year visitor license. I have been advised by another board (I'm not currently at home to make the needed phone calls or to have read it in the paper), that the fee was changed back to the 10.00bbd/5.00usd for a 2mth visitor's license.

I would suggested that you check directly with the car rental company. As we all know, websites can remain the same, unchanged, forever, soo.. the information on the site may or may not be 100pct correct re this charge.

APLMAC.. could you call Stoutes or Courtesy and verify that information please.. I'm not back for another week and a half..

later

sunniebgi

and yes.. it is way out and one they should have thought of before they did what they did.. (can you say no confidence motion...)

Archived