movie The Birdcage

Azure Moon

Here is a picture of me by the Carlyle hotel.

2668057730089234266ryfWUM_th.jpg

We didn't take a tour but walked around South Beach awhile to find the correct place. We just did it from memory of the film, but I'm glad to know I was correct.

I looked inside and it seems like its an apartment or something now (maybe hotel)? I couldn't figure out how they transformed the lobby to be the Birdcage bar, but I see above it was a different location. I guess in August when we sail on the Imagination, I'm going to have to go looking for the bar next!!!

Maggie

The bar is a great place to visit. Just as colorful and unique as it was in the movie. Great place to sit outside and people watch on Ocean Drive :)

Actually that probably wasn't a mistake. Yes, it was wrong, but not a mistake. The director probably wanted a more colorful background for the scene, and purposely chose to shoot in that direction because of the ships vs. a background on predominantly water. I live in the DC area, Northern Virginia, and can't count the number of times they shoot scenes of people driving in the wrong direction to reach their destination. But they always like to use the DC monuments and scenery as part of their shot. In Spy Game, Nathan Muir (Robert Redford) driving into DC across Memorial Bridge and past the Lincoln Memorial to get to the CIA. NOT! The CIA is in Langley Virginia and to get there from the Virginia side of the Memorial Bridge one would get on the GW Parkway going north which is easily accessible before crossing Memorial Bridge. And while the parkway is beautiful and green, it doesn't visually add to the story line because it doesn't have the expected DC backdrop. That is just one example, trust me there are plenty more.

Also from DC area, and that always bugs me. They were awful about it on the West Wing. I end up yelling at the screen every time. ;)

July of 1998 was when she caught fire. If you watch the movie in High Definition, the words "Ecstasy" are very clear just above the category eleven suites.

This is one of our favorite movies. I volunteer to watch it and verify this fact. ;) We watch it at least once a month. Or anytime that we hear the song "she works hard for the money."

I was going to suggest Ecstasy anyway- I took it out of Miami in 97.

We got a horrible movie from Netflix because it was based on a cruise ship. The home port was supposed to be San Diego we couldn't figure out where it was shot - but it wasn't S.D.. After research of this obscure movie we found it was made in New Zealand. It was called "Maiden Voyage". Here's a review from an embarassed local.

10 out of 11 people found the following comment useful :-

Woeful, 19 August 2006

10.gif

Author: ewenspark from New Zealand

What a poor excuse for New Zealnd Movie making. I'm ashamed to call myself a New Zealander when this movie exists and is currently playing on New Zealand satellite TV (Aug 2006). The cast is made up of a large number of local soap stars. The ship, in real life, is one of the inter-island ferries that travel daily between the two main islands and even has the company's logo (a dolphin) still all over the set including on the ship's funnel. The ship is supposed to be a cruise ship/ferry between the USA and Mexico. It has obvious signs of rust and old age all over the place yet is supposed to be a luxury ship on it's maiden voyage. One of the scenes shows the snow capped peaks of New Zealand's South island in the background for God's sake! Must have been a very cold time on the USA/Mexico area! The story is weak, the acting is weaker and the new Zealand/American accents just don't work. I expect the New Zealand tax payer contributed to the production cost of this movie and that was a waste of money better spent on a real production. I know high school kids in New Zealand who could make better movies with their cell phones. Goof: There is a truck in the hold with tagging on it and they stuck a Taco Company sign on the door of the truck, presumably to make it look like it was American. But some of the sign is over the top of the tagging - you'd think they would have noticed that in the props department before attaching it. I'd love to go on but it just isn't worth the trouble in any way.

Archived