Prague Hotel & Tours

tamadig2001

Hi everyone, we're going on the Rhine/Main cruise from Nuremberg to Amsterdam on the MS Royal in September, with 3 days pre-cruise in Prague. We won this trip through a travel auction and the hotel they booked us in Prague is the Courtyard Marriott. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? Is it within walking distance to the Old Town or do we need to take a cab or use public transport? Also, a tour of the main city sights is included on our 2nd morning, but we'll have the afternoon and the entire 3rd day free. Just wondering if it would be worth our while to go on the optional tour of the spa town of Karlovy Vary at $98 per person, or take a trip to the Konopiste or Karlstejn Castles. We'd really appreciate any input on this and also suggestions on good restaurants.

Are you being transported to the boat in Nuremburg?

I think that they would stop in Karlovy Vary enroute.

I know when we cruise on AMA next year, we will leave Nuremburg by coach, stop in Karlovy Vary enroute to Prague.

It's not as close as the Marriott istelf (near the Hilton Old Town) is, but it's easy to use public transport (metro, etc.) Flora Metro station is nearby (the Courtyard Marriott Flora is presumably the one you are staying in, not the airport.)

I think you would really enjoy the two castles - it's easy to do Karlstejn and Konopiste in one day, or you can just do Karlstejn and stay a bit. Karlstejn in particular is in a touristy, but beautiful, area.

Prague has concerts going on every day - I recommend you try at least one, perhaps in the Klementinum Old Chapel, where Mozart himself played the organ, or someplace more imposing like Municipal House (Smetana Hall) or the Rudolfinum. Link: http://www.pragueexperience.com/opera_concerts/concert_halls.asp

It's a great town for walking - across the Charles bridge, up to the castle... (as you walk up the gentle grade, check out the old signs above the doors of the older buildings, dating back to before house numbers - link: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Prague_house_signs.)

Hi everyone, we're going on the Rhine/Main cruise from Nuremberg to Amsterdam on the MS Royal in September, with 3 days pre-cruise in Prague. We won this trip through a travel auction and the hotel they booked us in Prague is the Courtyard Marriott. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? Is it within walking distance to the Old Town or do we need to take a cab or use public transport? Also, a tour of the main city sights is included on our 2nd morning, but we'll have the afternoon and the entire 3rd day free. Just wondering if it would be worth our while to go on the optional tour of the spa town of Karlovy Vary at $98 per person, or take a trip to the Konopiste or Karlstejn Castles. We'd really appreciate any input on this and also suggestions on good restaurants.

Thanks so much everyone for all your valuable info. We are staying in the Courtyard Marriott Flora, and I'm glad to know that it is near the Flora metro station and is just a few stops away from where the action is. Now I'll just have to figure out which pass to get for the metro. Yes we'll be taken to Nuremberg by coach but since we don't leave until 3 p.m. I doubt if we'll have the chance to visit Karlovy Vary even though it's en route. I think we'll do the two castles on our free day and book the tour offered by Prague Experience at 1900 czk. We'll try to make a concert at one of the many fine venues and we'll most certainly do a lot of walking. Thanks for the link to the house signs, JDiver - they are so amazing!

Archived